• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Anyone walking out on Superior yet for lakers?

I was in the truck so didnt get a good look. The guys out were so close tho that they were hidden by the condo's when I went to exit onto 35. I only saw them when I had gone down a bit and looked back towards the point. My guess is the ice is sketchy with the winds. I wanted to give it a try Thursday but no way with this wind forecast will I even think about it.

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• maxpower17

• Ross Pearson

• Xplorer

• DLD24

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders
Did I just hear right that the ice blew out at the French?
NO! cry I was coming up Sat. Guess i'll just have to go snowmobiling then!

I heard to bring the long rods instead but I will do both ... Shack and long rods so I can hit Mcquade and Brighton Beach

Ya, I heard the ice broke up at the French. I was gonna go this morning but it was minus 21 when I got up...not exactly the kinda weather I want to stand out in the open and cast in....you win again wind.

There were a few houses out from the Lester today I heard. Not in tight for loopers, but out over deeper waters. maybe some of that coho action we saw out there a few years back?

Now reading the French went out though, it doesn't bode well for that ice to stay solid.

Called MG today and was told the ice is anywhere from 6"-10" thick with little snow on top except close to shore. Some nice lakers are being caught with a coho mixed in here and there. 60' was the depth I was told to look for. Hope this helps.

Drove by the Lester and Brighton beach area today ,,,At 10 am there had to be at least 60 portable houses out on the ice ,,,some out a half mile from shore ,,,and there were no spots to park for the people that were pulling in behind me

Loonasea, or anyone else….

Please give a report on conditions and fishing. Hoping to give it a go next weekend if ice remains safe.

thanks

The few guys I spoke to said 8-10 inches of ice ,,,I didnt fish due to work obligations and parking is questionable as its a goat trail at Brighton beach ,,get there early and you will find a spot to park and prepare to walk a ways ,,,no one I spoke with was packing it in so I cant say what they were catching ,,,the current forecast tells me there will be fishable ice next weekend if the wind doesnt move the ice off shore and temps might be in the 20s too ,,,Good Luck if you make it up to fish !!

So they are carving a shipping lane but does that mean there won't be ice to fish by next weekend?

Only time will tell. I stopped by 21 yesterday and there was ice as far as I could see. 6-8 inches. I am planning on heading up to fish Sat-Sun as of now. I am curious to see where the carving will do.

I fished all day sat and sun. I have a question for the experienced guys.

Have you ever experienced a strong current out there while ice fishing. I fished 60-80' on Saturday with a light current, and Sunday there was such a heavy current in those same places, I couldn't mark my baits. Went out to 130' and had absolutely no current.

Is this normal? I thought as long as the weather was good you could get out and fish. This throws a wrench in the whole deal with a total unknown.

Thanks.

While fishing from the boat there is normally current out on the lake ,,,,speed at the ball and gps speed can vary by 1.5 mph or more ,,,Im not sure what causes it,,, its just fact that it does have currents

Lake Superior has a tide. Wind can also create a lot of current on a lake that big. You can usually upsize the weight of your lure or drill extra holes so you can mark your baits.

How far up the shore were guys fishing this weekend? Anyone by the French?

3/2/2014

There were a few fishing on 2 to 3 inches of ice again at the French with a few fish getting caught.

Ross Pearson - Kamloops Advocates

After doing some searching, Lake Superior does not have a tide. While some scientists believe there is, it only amounts to1-3cm. Not enough to even measure.

The water raises and lowers at set times on lake superior, I've seen it many times first hand. It is much more noticeable in certain areas of the lake and tributaries. Call it what you want. I did not google it but obviously you did. There will always be current when you are fishing out there. Even on flat calm days. Just trying to answer your question guy.

Back to fishing. So with this ice breaking effort, is it possible to ice fish or is it over once the cutters come through?

Very significant in fact, during the summer of 2012 the seiche was measured at over 5'. It cycled from high to low to high every 15-20 minutes. I saw a USFW electro fishing boat that went under a dock at low water, become trapped and flipped over when the water rose. The storm that caused the blowdown of 1999 caused a seiche of nearly 5 feet. Storms passing over one part of the lake or another will cause a very noticable seiche, but if you are on the lake a lot watching levels on pier pilings etc., it always moves about 6-12 inches, you never pull your lines tight to the cleats here.

Tides may be the wrong word, but anyone who has downrigged/deep jigged on the lake knows that there are currents all over the lake and fluctuations in lake level. Jigging in the Apostles can be very challenging in deep water at times due to currents. I use my summer Diawa linecounters when I fish over there and there are times when the locator will show I am in 180' of water, but it take 195' of line to hit bottom due to current.

Cutters coming through today, any updates? Wind looks like it wont be all that bad this weekend. I know no body has a crystal ball to look into but what are the thoughts about this weekend?