• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Anyone walking out on Superior yet for lakers?

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• maxpower17

• Ross Pearson

• Xplorer

• DLD24

Great thread guys! Maybe if I grew up on the big lake, i would not feel this way.....but you guys are nuts winksmile

I saw you guys get out of your houses and take photos of the cutter and the big ship. I was jealous. You had your warm house. I was fishing outside all day.

Took a friend out last week who never caught a fish ice fishing before and then I was like hey you should look down!

full-41079-43760-image.jpg

full-41079-43762-image.jpg

fish were in the 14"-18" range.

I had to make a run to Two Harbors and the lake had skim ice all the way up to TH,,,, not as many folks out by the lester as I would have expected but they are still venturing out a 1/2 mile ,,,One guy in the McQuade safe harbor fishing ,,,,The skim ice started just east of the pump house so there wont be many more days left of safe ice travel

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders

Where are the big ships go out of the harbor? It looks like most of the Great Lakes are still froze over?

Where are the big ships go out of the harbor? It looks like most of the Great Lakes are still froze over?

The first one that left on Saturday was headed just up the way to Two Harbors to load taconite. I believe the others that have left so far are also headed up the north shore to load taconite.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders

The first one that left on Saturday was headed just up the way to Two Harbors to load taconite. I believe the others that have left so far are also headed up the north shore to load taconite.

That's what I was guessing looking at the MODIS map of the lake.

3 more ice breakers arrived in duluth 3 days ago that are going to be leading a caravan of ships across the lake to the SOO locks. I think the ice fishing is done out there.

Shouldn't affect the fishing though. There's been a ton of activity for over 2 weeks without any affect.

Might go in the morning. I see there are still a few guy's hittin' it. Hope it's not gettin' sketchy eek

I have been out the last two afternoons and the ice is still in good shape...The only sketchy part is that crack by shore where I usually cross it was wider than I could step, I had to jump across.. But with the cold weather it was froze enough where my spud wouldn't go through(I still didn't like the idea of stepping on it ha) I'm guessing with this little warmer weather it will open back up... As far as fishing Tuesday I went for cohos in 55ft and didn't mark a coho, but got a laker and marked 4 or 5...Yesterday same deal, but I was in 100ft of water...Best time was like 4-545..Usually I like the deeper stuff, but that open water looks to close to that area for my liking... I'm thinking yesterday will be my last day out there unfortunately...Its been a blast out there the cold a$$ winter was worth it for that 3 weeks of fishing...Good Luck out there

Heading up there just north of Lester...is the ice still safe enough? Planning to walk out to the 40 ft area. Any info would be great. Thanks!

If you don't get any reports here, call marine general in the morning. I've been told it's deteriorating and now there's a strong N wind.

Yep..should've called earlier. Don't know if I should go ahead and make the trip or wait until Sat for more info.

The ice was okay off Brighton Beach yesterday. I don't know yet if today's wind and weather has made it less safe. There were many out in the 40 to 60 foot depths yesterday morning doing well on herring and cohos.

Ross Pearson - Kamloops Advocates

Shouldn't affect the fishing though. There's been a ton of activity for over 2 weeks without any affect.

I think you're right, the ship traffic does not have any affect on the fishing at all. I'm just thinking about the additional traffic breaking up the ice more. Strong Northeast winds today with the snowstorm ripping right down the lake...

Ice update? May goal is to head up tonight and fish tomorrow out of Brighton. I plan on calling Marine General after work tonight but now I'm wondering if its even worth it. Any good news??

Dave

Well if you can jump/streach a foot gap then your'e fine. if not, you will just have wet boots (especially in the morning)

Well if you can jump/streach a foot gap then your'e fine. if not, you will just have wet boots (especially in the morning)

Lol...I was one of the victim of the wet feet this morning! But ice is still a pretty good 10-12 inches once you past that.