• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Anyone walking out on Superior yet for lakers?

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• maxpower17

• Ross Pearson

• Xplorer

• DLD24

Might cruise up there Sunday for this - looks like fun! Bummer that they are getting 8" of snow over the next couple of days - looks like easy walking right now.

Any one have any info on current ice around 21st ave or brighton? Or how the snow might affect it? Was thinking about trying for thursday, but the storm has me worried.

The forcasted northeast wind 15 to 20 mph, with gusts as high as 30 mph today is likely to break up the edge of the thick ice near Duluth or possibly the whole mass could crack up and be moved by the strong north winds that will be following.

Ross Pearson - Kamloops Advocates

Gilespie was out there on this week's show too.....

Yeah, I could hear him at my house on 47th and Glenwood. grin

I call his show "Jon Gillespies hollering half hour" My wife doesnt even like being in the house when I view it

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders

I call his show "Jon Gillespies hollering half hour" My wife doesnt even like being in the house when I view it

Hey, Hey, Randy, Randy, buddy buddy doesn't she like Johnsonville brats! grin

The forcasted northeast wind 15 to 20 mph, with gusts as high as 30 mph today is likely to break up the edge of the thick ice near Duluth or possibly the whole mass could crack up and be moved by the strong north winds that will be following.

Looks like ima day late and dollars short. Thanks for the info.

The ice is still there from my house view down the avenue and 3/4 mile up the hill in the Lakeside neighborhood. The winds today and tomorrow are supposed to be light north and then west tomorrow, so its probably still fishable in the Duluth area of Lake Superior.

I will be out on the ice tomorrow from 9 to 1, first trip out there. I haven't been seeing many folks out of 21st lately.....if you had to choose would it be off Brighton or off 21st??? PM if you'd rather.

Supposed to be light winds, probably will just walk out without a house and pull a toboggan with gear. If anyone else is gonna be out there or wants to hook up and head out just let me know.

Brighton Beach area continues to see the most fishing activity but only about twenty there today with most coming off in the afternoon. I heard great reports from there on Sunday for mainly herring. Very early seems to be the best time to be fishing for the cohos and herring.

Thanks Ross. how far out were the shacks? I'm hoping to get out to laker territory, looking to C/R a drag screamer and not so much for eaters grin

Those few that appeared to be targeting lakers also appeared to be out about a half mile.

I'd be looking for a place to unloads boat.

Stiff offshore winds are predicted on Saturday. Looks like gusts up to 25-30. With a live crack right next to shore, I'd be pretty cautious. Just because there are 100 people on the ice, doesn't mean they know better than you and I.

...Just because there are 100 people on the ice, doesn't mean they know better than you and I.

Sincerely,

The Duluth Fire Department Rescue Squad and

The United States Coast Guard

(Yeah, the guys that would have to fish you out)

Fished off 21st today from 9-12, 68 ft of water. Threw the box at them and not a mark was seen. Solid 15" of clear ice where I was. When I left there the icebreaker was running out the shipping lane, pretty cool sight. At one point they got stuck, had to back up, and giver again.

Brighton beach on Thursday. No less than 10 inches of ice. Fished in 120 feet of water. Crossed two heaves, one with a half inch open crack right near shore.

I wouldn't take a snow machine out...not necessary. Had 25 or so people targeting Lakers. The few trucks we talked to didn't get any. More people were fishing shallow...didn't hear how they did.

To those familiar with the lake...is there a current? Our lures kept on drifting south. I really hope it wasnt from the ice sheet moving.

You were witnessing lake current. If the ice was moving you would have to have been rescued to get back.

You were witnessing lake current. If the ice was moving you would have to have been rescued to get back.

Good news!

Ya there can be some crazy current out there...I was out there one day and I literally had to drill a hole 15ft away to see my 1oz spoon...It was a challenge to see the flasher lol...

Are there any 24hr gas station or so in Duluth that I can get frozen ciscos from?

Ice breaker activity today could make it treacherous for ice fishing with off shore winds as the shipping season begins. There was a one foot gap reported at the pressure ridge near 21st Ave. E. today.

full-34242-43660-100_5314.jpg

full-34242-43661-capture.png