• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Anyone walking out on Superior yet for lakers?

Been out the last few days including all day sat and sun and I've got 6 lakers total... biggest being 30" which was my first laker...My new favorite fish to fish for...screw walleyes smile...

full-39841-43243-getattachment.jpg

full-39841-43244-getattachment.jpg

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• maxpower17

• Ross Pearson

• Xplorer

• DLD24

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders

Well they can be fun but like Muskies they should be known as the fish of 10,000 jigs instead of casts! grin

Are there any tackle shops around the twin ports have big tube jigs for Lakers? I have been ordering mine from a shop in Utah and it gets spendy with shipping.

Marine General should have some. The bass tubes work just as well so look in that area of bait stores. Im pretty sure Marine General will have them though.

Nice catch DLD! I have to agree with Leech though, and I swear I must have had 10,000+ jigs today ( or is that the number of jigs you have to try before you find what they are hitting on?).

Fished out of Lester River area today from 40 to 100 FOW. Periodically the graph would go completely solid from about 15-25 feet, I assume it was herring but never caught any. A few wayward marks fishing the deeper waters but pulled a big 0 for me. Nice day to be out, warm and the wind kept the bugs away.

I'm curious how long it will last though, with this warmer weather and open water spreading.

..My new favorite fish to fish for...screw walleyes smile...

While I love to fish for lakers, I prefer to eat a walleye.

Nice catch, BTW

Nice Smelts at Chalstroms on Rice Lake , try cutting one up into small pieces and dropping down the hole, then drop a rigged smelt down to the bottom .

I also wanted to mention that if anyone sees someone taking more fish than their supposed to, please call TIP ASAP. The CO will never be too far away and will likely catch them in the act.

It's been mentioned that there may be some people taking advantage of this opportunity.

TIP # 800-652-9093

I went out on Monday and caught my first ever Lake Trout! Just a hair over 30" and almost 8 lbs. It was the most fun Ive ever had bringing a fish up through the ice!!! Thanks to those on here for the help and info on Sunday night!

Great pics! Here's one I took on mon morning. full-29385-43345-image.jpg

I know that ice chunk, makes for a good visual marker smile...Fish hunt guy, tell me about it, they fight so much... just a blast...Also just a reminder (most people should know this) do not let your kids walk around pressure ridges by themselves....Me and my brother were bsing by our cars after fishing and we watched a kid fall into a pressure ridge near shore on brighton....I watched him walking all of a sudden he disappeared followed by his dad running to him and picking him up and running to their van so I'm guessing thats what happened...Be safe out there...yesterday was fun got my new PB and my brother got his first laker... full-39841-43353-getattachment.jpg

Anybody know if there is still fishable ice out there with this wind and the cutter going through?

There were about fifty fishing off the Lester and Brighton Beach areas today. Most are not going out beyond about the fifty foot depth. The ice is only a few inches deep at the French but 15 inches at the Lester.

Ross Pearson - Kamloops Advocates

Was out today off Brighton beach in about 55ft of water. Caught one Coho and one 21" Herring (on a 3/4oz Vibrato). Schools came through very fast, not like last week when a school of Herring came through and it took 15 minutes to go through. Herring were up higher, Cohos were around 30'. Ice was booming and pressure ridges near shore were getting bigger so be careful out there.

Is a herring the same thing as a tulipee (cisco) or whitefish? (and ya i know tulipee and whitefish are different species).

I was thinking about coming up to fish this week. How is the ice, am I to late? whats a good depth to try, and what works best for bait? I have never tried lake superior, so any information would be great.

The ice off Brighton Beach to Duluth is still okay but could change anytime with ice breaker activity and wind. In general fish for Kamloops in less than 15', for coho and herring 40' to 60' deep in the top twenty feet, and for lakers in 100' or more. The local tackle and bait stores can make tackle suggestions for whatever you may wish to target.

Ross Pearson - Kamloops Advocates

Watch an Outdoors segment that they filled last week. Made it look pretty easy to catch Lakers right in Duluth in 70 ft of water.

Check it out if you haven't.

An outdoors segment they filled last wk? Is there any other info? I'd be interested in watching. Thanks

Ya, where did you find the video...I talked with them when they were filming out there...I have been waiting for it to come out, last I heard it was supposed to be coming out Sunday....

I see, I was just early looking. Just found it as well. They do make a good show-I hope they keep it up.