• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

2014 New Decoys Thread...

Neighbor_guy

Enjoyed the show bought a spotted Whittier decoy to try. Lots of talented carvers.

I like Ricks decoys alot.

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Neighbor_guy

• jasonmichalski

• Mike89

• MJ1657

another round, tried some new things and some old favorites as well.

First, the laziest decoy I have ever made. Not lazy in the way it swims, but lazy in the "forget this just finish it" kind of lazy. It was a salvaged from the scrap pile decoy.

88D79FE2-7B93-451A-AD44-C41125F83C4F.jpg

Same with the Orange, I cant seem to keep the small orange one around. It seems to be very popular...

307BEBE1-EB8F-4140-8195-963234963CBF.jpg

087D34D4-3FDC-497A-B3D7-112B4099F665.jpg

56E507FF-D019-4E57-A684-36C878ED6032.jpg

And finally, a new style for me, kind of a teaser only about 4-4.5" long. The first one was the trial attempt...

9109C217-ABE8-4E67-8BDB-9799A4F090FB.jpg

this one is a "proof of concept" decoy... I am trying to see if you can do a decoy that swims w/o a tail using a flipper blade or a small bucktail instead.

EA0B5786-C4C9-469D-ABCB-5311DAE7317A.jpg

4DB435AA-A929-474E-8AC9-2C00EE0059D8.jpg

It balances and swims, so that's a success, but the radius is a little big for such a small decoy. So the concept is there, the execution needs to be fleshed out some more.

61C6C449-4B1F-469C-BBB8-0A74EB9DE93F.jpg

A hot pink teaser. Pink and white is usually one of the first colors I us no matter what I am fishing for, so its no surprise I like decoys this color. This one will likely find a place in my personal decoy box.

Another new shape for me. Thanks to Storm lure company, as I simply copied a muskie lure that I figured might make a good decoy shape.

B74E6BD4-3C7D-4E6E-9822-80E0FEA06704.jpg

40BFDB7C-531E-4985-B993-4E551CF8AC3C.jpg

Sauger

I do have one more decoy in that batch, but its not ready for the reveal yet. It needs some tweaking and some final details.

Finished it up. This may be the last one for a while, I did fins and sealer on a half dozen today. Unfortunately I am out of rattle chambers so until the mail man delivers another batch its a standstill.

Anyways, as promised here is the final decoy in the batch. Nine coats of paint, 5 different shades of blue, blended from bottom to top, hand brushed details, and 6 coats of clear coat...

97A405C9-D9F9-4042-A105-580DC78A7D51.jpg

9B4FC2E4-B08C-4C3C-8721-239FB94EAA3A.jpg

092C7B2A-EE60-4A32-84EE-19CFD77EF7F5.jpg

That one is headed to join a collection in Shakopee

Hey I just saw pics of that one somewhere else. grin

Yeah, I was given the go ahead to post it.

• 2 weeks later...

Well while I waited for my rattle chambers to show up I started playing with an idea that I got after the decoy show in Alexandria. There was a vendor up there who was selling decoys that were tiny, like under 2" tiny. What I ended up with was a bunch of sawdust and some decoys that would be better suited for vertical jigging. They all ended up in the failed file and out to the curb for the trash man...

So after learning from my mistakes and a few minor/major adjustments in the hows and whys I ended up with a batch of decoys that are between 2.25" and 2.5" Some would call them "teasers" I think fish might try to make them a "snack"

Anyways, enough talk...

A9063B63-FEB4-4398-A13C-6D07DDD6B37A.jpg

3B5B9EC7-7C35-4DFD-AA92-B095E40F3553.jpg

they swim nice and sit level to boot!!!

And since once those rattles did show up I could finish a few others, a couple highlights:

1C476182-7D46-4D4F-8E44-3C186335B361.jpg

8F335499-587D-419F-9BD7-0339906853C5.jpg

(oil splattered Allis Chalmers Orange hahaha!)

and a sunfish with a very unique action wink

32346BA0-C631-4B32-AED0-1CD58F424027.jpg

I will hopefully be able to post some video of that one when things thaw out a bit more.

Nice decoys! I really like the tiny ones.

Must have been Terrie Wise that had the little decoys in Alex.

... Must have been Terrie Wise that had the little decoys in Alex.

That's the name I was looking for. I have his card someplace but couldn't find it. Good to give credit to people when you can. I got sweet talked into taking a couple of them home too so you think I would remember crazy

• 2 weeks later...