• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Phillip Nelson leaving Gophers

Scott M

Nice try ladies, I never once said what Nelson did was right, I just don't feel this other tool that threw the sucker punch is much of a victim. If you throw sucker punches you better be ready to have your head bounced off the concrete is all I'm saying. I guess you guys think it's ok because he's the one that ended up getting hurt?

I agree 100%. You pick a fight and throw a sucker punch (from behind) at a 6'3" 230 guy at 2:00 after bars close and you better be ready for any and all that you get in return. Nelson was walking away from the argument when he got hit from behind.

I went to the same school as you Guru...as did all my friends. Had Kolstad simply walked away as Nelson was, this whole thing would have been avoided.

Terrible outcome for all three involved...really, really sad.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Canon Guy

• CaptainMusky

• zepman

• FISHINGURU

I agree 100%. You pick a fight and throw a sucker punch (from behind) at a 6'3" 230 guy at 2:00 after bars close and you better be ready for any and all that you get in return. Nelson was walking away from the argument when he got hit from behind.

I went to the same school as you Guru...as did all my friends. Had Kolstad simply walked away as Nelson was, this whole thing would have been avoided.

Are you going to address the kick to the head while the guy was helpless?

I did...read back through my last post.

Not saying it was right...just saying it's a possible outcome when you pick a fight at 2:00 AM.

Also, Nelson will be held responsible for what he did...

Like I said...sad,sad, story all around.

Also, Nelson will be held responsible for what he did...

This is what matters.

Pretty sure the kick did little damage unless he was wearing steal toed shoes. My guess is the fractured skull happened after the initial punch and his head hit the ground.

Not saying what he did was right but I'm quite sure he would have broken bones in his foot before cracking a skull.

As long as you're not wearing steel toe boots you're in the clear, apparently.

crazy

Lmt apparently you're obtuse. No shock there your posts prove it.

Shoes not boots. And I said it didn't mean he should get off Scott free just that the severe injuries he incurred were likely done as a result of the punch knocking him out and hitting the pavement.

It happened here in st cloud just a year ago. Guy gets hit, knocked out head hits pavement cracked skull and he ended up dying. Let's hope this guy recovers though.

Canon G...

We are all a very long way from determining what or how Kolstad sustained the injuries that finds him in the place he's at now. This is what we all know now...he sustained three "hits" to the head. The initial hit from Shelley apparently "knocked him out on his feet".

I'll wait to see how the medical evidence presents itself before I make a judgement on who did what in terms of his damage. Nelsons "kick" is reported to be on the left side of his head...Kolstad has a skull fractue on the left side of his head. We've yet to receive any info on where Shelleys initial punch landed. Nobody knows...and nobody knows how he landed on the concrete. That information has just not been released.

So, before we crucify any of them for what you may "think" caused his injuries...let's let this play out until we all hear further credible evidence.

So, before we crucify any of them for what you may "think" caused his injuries...let's let this play out until we all hear further credible evidence.

you mean people on the internet and social media would rush to pass judgement before facts are known? #Sarc

Its a terrible tragedy that could have been avoided if ppl could handle their liquor.

Also wait for a giant lawsuit etc to any bar that served nelson for being underage.

Don't really think many were crucifying. Rather just calling him a DB because he had a chance to be a QB, but apparently thinks with his PP.

No doubt, if Kolstad didn't throw the sucker punch no one would be hurt or in trouble. It is sad, one minute your having a good time and seconds later your the one either hurt or running from the cops.

One dude is laid up in the hospital and two other guys are looking at serious charges all over some drunken testosterone moment. It's the exact reason I avoid the bars like the plague.

Canon G...

This is not only about what we "think" caused his injury. It's also about Nelson assaulting a defenseless person. That's what most people have a problem with.

Good grief. The level of stupidity never fails to disappoint.

Clearly! With each post you make it gets more entertaining.

"ob·tuse

adjective

adjective: obtuse

annoyingly insensitive or slow to understand.

"he wondered if the doctor was being deliberately obtuse"

synonyms: stupid, slow-witted, slow, dull-witted, unintelligent, ignorant, simpleminded, witless;"

Seems to fit your retort LMT.

No doubt, if Kolstad didn't throw the sucker punch no one would be hurt or in trouble. It is sad, one minute your having a good time and seconds later your the one either hurt or running from the cops.

One dude is laid up in the hospital and two other guys are looking at serious charges all over some drunken testosterone moment. It's the exact reason I avoid the bars like the plague.

No doubt, if Nelson had not made the decision to break the law by entering a bar and by drinking underage, no one would be hurt or in trouble. Nelson started the terrible chain of events with multiple bad decisions.

Clearly! With each post you make it gets more entertaining.

Says the guy who claimed that it's perfectly acceptable to kick an unconscious person in the head.

If the charges stick and this goes to trial, what will be Nelson's defense? Yes I kicked the man in the head, but he already had a cracked skull and was unconscious before I assaulted him, so I can't be blamed for the injury. crazy

Says the guy who claimed that it's perfectly acceptable to kick an unconscious person in the head.

Cite your reference Troll. Never said that. Never insinuated or eluded to that either.

If the charges stick and this goes to trial, what will be Nelson's defense? Yes I kicked the man in the head, but he already had a cracked skull and was unconscious before I assaulted him, so I can't be blamed for the injury. crazy

It sure will they will push hard that his head hitting the pavement did most of the damage and he wasn't the one who tossed the first punch, at least to get the 1st degree charges dropped, and get a minimum sentence for 3rd degree charges since he is a "first time" offender.

Dpends if the fractures are on the back of the head (falling) or the side of the head (kicking).

Saying he already had a fractured skull isn't much of a defense. Kicking someone in the head is bad but kicking someone in the head who already has a head injury is worse. It's the worst thing you can do for someone with a head injury, steel toed shoe or not it just causes more trauma.

Phillip Nelson needs to go to jail for a long time. Kicking a motionless person in the head is beyond comprehension, regardless of rage or intoxication. He didn't even have the stones to tell the truth until the cops told him that it was all on surveillance video. He's a piece of garbage.

It will be a wake up call alright. He will be waking up in Big Bubba'a warm arms. Have fun Nelson.

I say Nelson barely gets into any trouble at all if any. Shelley probably won't get in much trouble either. They plea bargain to something like a 5th degree assault and get a fine and some STS, maybe a couple weekends in jail.

Rosenbaum on kfan spelled it out pretty clearly how they're most likely going to go with self defense. On podcast from yesterday afternoon if you haven't heard it.

Rosenbaum on kfan spelled it out pretty clearly how they're most likely going to go with self defense. On podcast from yesterday afternoon if you haven't heard it.

It's probably the only defense they can use , but would a jury buy it?

Not sure kicking a defenseless person in the head is self defense.

Not to me it isn't, but I'm not sure what else they could use.

I suppose Shelly's defense might be that he was protecting Nelson after he was hit. His defense might then turn on Nelson for going to far.

The police statement said that the entire episode only took around 5 seconds or so once Kolstad delivered his hit to Nelson. It also stated that Kolstads friend and Nelsons girlfriend were between Nelson and Kolstad...after Kolstad got whacked. People were also around Kolstad on the ground. Sooo...

It is entirely possible that Nelson had no clue what state Kolstad was in when he kicked him. It was a pretty "bang-bang" event as they described it.

This would play into the self-defense theory as I heard Rosenbaum explain it earlier in the week also.