• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Spearfishing - Where are you now?

MJ what resort for get to gator? Want to research it and spearing locations etc. Trying to find someone to come with.

Mwal

• Replies 596
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• MJ1657

• Neighbor_guy

• Gordie

• mrklean

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Muskie entering hole     She came back a while later and was in and out for the last hour of my last sit of the season     Pike sampling a decoy  

I got a DL Smithing spear this weekend. 

Thanks MJ - you too.   I finally got a hole cut yesterday.  No luck while exploring a new lake but at least it got the blood flowing again.   Plus I got to swim the last two Grumpy

Posted Images

MJ1657

MJ what resort for get to gator? Want to research it and spearing locations etc. Trying to find someone to come with.

Mwal

Dixon Lake Resort. We spear out on the Third River Flowage.

MJ1657

The perch is maybe a tad larger then the other perch I have. The John Deere decoy is just that small.

I've had fun with real small decoys. They tend to bring them in fast and hard. Not great for actually spearing them but fun to watch.

• 2 weeks later...
Neighbor_guy

Sunday fun day!

Fish fry, venison loins, adult beverages, swimming a few test decoys, and spending time with family.

Complaints = 0

Hope Summer is treating everyone well

Well 4 weeks after surgery I finally got out and wet a line even caught a 18 pound flathead and 13 pound channel cat but I am paying for it today grin I have a few spear orders to fill so I have been turning a few forward weight centers for the spears.

full-32630-47750-img_20140726_090625_245

My latest set. They aren't as tall as some of the others and the jaws don't open as wide but they would work nice for early ice.

They were kind of bent up when I got them but a little heat and hammering got them fairly straight. I'll do a little fine tuning yet.

They are 31" tall and the jaws open 18 1/2" and 4 3/4" closed.

I have a very unique set of tall tongs coming. I have not seen them in person yet. Ill post some pics when I get them.

full-32630-47978-img_20140802_082113_484

A couple more I picked up. Both are 34" tall. They are kind of unique. Kind of strange how long the jaws are and how short the neck is on the top set. It appears the bottom set is home made.

Neighbor_guy

I looked for spearing stuff today at the show in Cambridge. There were a lot of decoys, mostly Randall's, but the vendors were very proud of them. There were also some unmarked decoys being sold as antiques that weren't weighted, and even a couple Dewey's that were repainted to look beat up and old. Buyer beware.

Lots of smaller perch style spears, and a handful of rusted up sucker spears. Came up empty on any stand ups, but it was fun to look.

Ya I had my scouts looking on Saturday and came up empty.

full-32630-48160-img_20140808_173101_288

Set I picked up yesterday at a threshing show. It was a good deal at $20.

I gotta get a long pair like that my back can't take pulling 3 feet of ice out like it use to, heck I'm almost 30 smile

I gotta get a long pair like that my back can't take pulling 3 feet of ice out like it use to, heck I'm almost 30 smile

Just think in only about 15 or 16 years you can have that little girl trained to do all the heavy work!

Neighbor_guy

You guys need to do what I do, just happen to be fishing in the same general area as Merk or Alex.

I have found that if you leave a pair of tongs within reach of either of them the block jumps right out the hole when you turn your back on it.

It's magic winkgrinwink

Archerysniper

You guys need to do what I do, just happen to be fishing in the same general area as Merk or Alex.

I have found that if you leave a pair of tongs within reach of either of them the block jumps right out the hole when you turn your back on it.

It's magic winkgrinwink

I fish with them all the time and my blocks always stay in the hole till I pull them, I think I need new fishing partners.

• 1 month later...

I finally found some burlap sacks. Petersons Mill in North Branch had a bunch of them for $1.95 each.

I finally found some burlap sacks. Petersons Mill in North Branch had a bunch of them for $1.95 each.

Ax man surplus has some in there but they wanted like $4 a piece for them

The farm of fleet store with the orange color has them also, 5 for 8.99

• Rick changed the title to Spearfishing - Where are you now?