• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

RD you are right on again. As you can imagine I get the good fortune to talk with a lot of fishermen. I can tell you on good authority, that most of the folks that catch fish constantly, and all season long, are those few that have broken from the pack and found their own spot away from the crowds. Spot on.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Rubber Ducky

• Mike Dumas

• brian6715

• Gobbles113

Good morning all,

Here is a picture of a nice Eye that was released for another day!!! Local lake caught on a Shiner at about 2:00am on a set line. full-45442-41489-photo1.jpg

full-45442-41490-photo2.jpg

Brother Hood 2014!!!

27" with a mass Girth! Overall a great fish. Even a heavy pressured lake. They know how to hide from the weekend crowds!!!!!

Nice, this full moon should have them on the prowl for a good night bite. I will be heading out tonight to set up on some eyes.

I hope you can gain some knowledge to put into your tackle box after reading this article.

Barometric Pressure: Many people look past the Barometric Pressure when it comes to fishing, but believe it or not this has a huge impact on fish behavior. Lets try to get a grasp on the concept of Barometric Pressure before we start. Barometric Pressure is simply the weight of the air. As the pressure falls (low-pressure) it does not push down on the water as hard. When the pressure rises (high-pressure) it pushes down on the water compressing it more. Low pressure occurs during storms and when cold fronts approach. High pressure is more present during nice days. Out west during periods of east wind the pressure is usually on the rise and during off shore winds (west wind) the pressure is usually lower. So how does this affect the Walleye? The lower the pressure the easier it is for fish to move through the water. The water is not as compressed. This is why some of the best Walleye action can happen just before a storm or cold front. The pressure will drop drastically easing the compression of the water causing fish to really become aggressive and move around. This includes bait fish, hint hint. With this said Walleye don't like quick fluctuations in pressure, so a lot of storms coming and going could lock jaw them a little. During high pressure the water is more compressed making it more difficult for fish movement causing them to go on lock down for a while, but when high pressure is constant for a long period of time the fish will become aggressive at some point. I can honestly say I have experienced my best fishing to be during steady pressure systems when the pressure stays constant for 3 or 4 days. I have witnessed feeding frenzies just before storm fronts. It is fast and furious until the main storm arrives then the pressure begins to rise again slowing down the bite.

Sun: Think deeper on sunny days. Walleye are very light sensitive and can't handle too much sunlight. They will seek deeper water to stay more comfortable during the middle of nice days. Due to them laying low during the day their appetite will build, and they may become very aggressive during the evening hours as the sun begins to disappear. Fish water depths between 25 and 40 ft midday and work the shallower water in the morning and evenings (15-25ft). Fish brighter colors on sunny days. This has all worked for me and I practice it routinely.

Clouds: I love cloudy day walleyeing! As long as the pressure is staying fairly consistent, walleye take advantage of these situations and prowl feeding grounds more often then they do on sunny days. Use darker colors when fishing for the walleyes on cloudy days for they are more prone to catch shadows off of these colors. Focus in a little shallower water (15-25ft). Stick it out on these days for it could produce some excellent fishing, but be aware of the barometer situation. It might be slow if storms are coming and going.

Wind: Most fisherman despise the wind, but us walleye fisherman need to learn to love it. Have you ever heard of the phrase Walleye Chop? If you walleye fish you probably have, but for those of you that are new to the fishery this is a great statement. On sunny days as the wind stars to blow and the water starts to stir so do the walleyes behavior. The chop on the water breaks up sun-rays and disperses light. This allows walleye to seek food in the shallows and it also turns up the water causing bait fish to scatter and reveal themselves. If the wind brings low pressure this could cause a riot for the walleye and I suggest having your line in the water. If you are jigging during chop, you almost don't have to work your rod as the rock of the boat causes a natural presentation.

Don't get discourged if the day doesn't look picture perfect. You have to be out there with your line in the water in order to catch them. I hope you understand these elusive fish a little more after reading this article. All this information is proven to work on seeking these fish so apply it on your adventures and I believe you will be more successful.

Just thought that I would post this article, that I just read. Talking with a friend about it yesterday. He opened my eyes a little more about Conditions!!

Good Fishing to all!!!

Thanks for that info Rubber Ducky, very helpful. I knew the pressure affected fish, but didn’t know how. Now I do. Thanks!

I have this fish plaque on the wall it used to hang up at my grandparents cabin in Brainerd.

It's a fishing Barometer, from 28 to 29.8 they say is Poor, from 29.8 to 30.2 is highlighted in red saying Good, and from 30.2 to 31 says average.

Seems that the "good" range is when the weather is stable, when the storm is approaching it starts to drop which is a nice window to get out there before the actual storm hits.

So with that said, it has been on "good" and is now starting to drop, it's at 29.81 and dropping, add in the full moon and we have a recipe for success tonight.

Good luck guys.

I love it, hopefully we will see some pictures this weekend of some Pigs.

Great story, thanks for sharing.

Out on the lake right now. When the storm blew in i saw more fish come on the flasher but couldn't get any to bite tossing down waxies different presentations of minnows. Hopefully going to hook at least one! I'll be back out in the morning for sure!

The worse barometer I ever experienced fishing for walleyes when it was 29.95 inches and falling. I went ahead and fished. Boyee, did those walleyes as well as largemouth bass slammed down my Lucky Craft Pointer right and left. The water was awfully choppy as well as windy. The water depth was 3-7 FOW. 2 1/2 hours, I got nauseous and left the lake. 20+ walleyes and largemouth bass combined--ended at 29.71 inches, rain poured down so hard. It was one of the most furious and rod-slamming fishing action I have experienced.

However, when it comes to icefishing--it is a hit and miss. We, as fishermen , have to time it right by understanding the barometer pressure. Once we are educated and knowledgeable on barometer reading, the more well aware and alert we become as fishermen. We come readily prepared, armed with our smarts, and conquered fish by bring some of them home to eat. All good n gravy!

Thanks for bringing this topic up, Rubber Ducky!

Nice piggy walleye there RD!! It was nice getting to meet you the other day too. Keep catching those fish and hope to run into you again out there!

Piker,

It was a pleasure meeting you and your son as well. One of these days we will have to get out and tear it up together...

Let me know when you are free from the clutch of life and we will tear it up!

Good Fishing!!!

That's one lucky Crappie! Looks like he barely made it through a big predator attack. Never seen one heal up like that, almost looks natural.

I've only seen one other like that but still not that extreme and that was in a local reservoir in Rochester.

That is one lucky crappie. And it will probably grow to be huge because who is gunna wanna keep that for eating... there is only half a fillet smile

I've only seen one other like that but still not that extreme and that was in a local reservoir in Rochester.

That is one lucky crappie. And it will probably grow to be huge because who is gunna wanna keep that for eating... there is only half a fillet smile

+1 on the half filet statement!

Good Morning all,

Few tips as far as whats been producing for me for pan fish on the local lakes.

As far as Crappies and Sun fish, I have been catching them in the 18' to 23' range. My best luck has been on Trigger X baits. I finally got my hands on all the colors and different kinds. I use a small Gill pill jig, with the small plastic's.

Eyes have been spotty lately. We have caught a few in the 9'to 14' range. Early mornings and evenings.

A dropper rig has really been the ticket for me this winter. I use a small buckshot spoon with a chain and hook from Hali.

I think dropper rigs are great because the flash brings the fish right in and you can get down there in a hurry. I have rods with a lighter finesse type ice jig on them but more times than not I can keep fishing with the dropper rig.

What seems to have been working for me is tip downs with a very lively minnow. Also I have found that now is more important than ever to pay attention and read your flasher ,let the marks tell you what to do.

• 2 weeks later...

Good morning all,

Had some success this weekend.. Fished a couple of lakes. Fished mainly for Pan fish. We did get some nice Sun fish in the 10" range, had a couple Crappies pushing over the 12" range.

Fishing in 18' to 21'.. A lot of fish moving around suspended. Had to get away from the crowd, to be successful. Best lure for pan fish was fire tiger tungsten. For Crappies used Trigger X. Best bite for sun fish was from 9am to 1pm!! Crappies hit at that 4:30pm to dark.

RD, I will keep in mind on the timing and take it under consideration for those dang lo' crappies. Very much appreciated!

full-45442-42746-crappie(2).jpg

full-45442-42747-sun.jpg

A couple of Pan fish, from the weekend! Bite was pretty slow.. Fishing 17' to 20'.. With small jigs and bugs!!!