• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Who's doing the muzzy season?

Crow Hunter

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• paceman

• maros91

• Wanderer

• fr0sty

Yep, got my coveralls yesterday they are stellar. Best sale ever going on right now had to swoop one up, they will last many years. Them with my Saskatchewan Pac boots and I'm ready for anything.

This morning felt downrite balmy at -2 with no wind. Sat for 2 hours, nothing seen and didn't see many fresh tracks on the way in. I got down to look for concentrated fresh sign. Jumped 5. Missed a bedded doeblush Will get back out there friday afternoon and saturday morning/night. About a foot of snow in the woods makes it tough to see far in the thick stuff. full-5079-40239-downsized_1212130803a.jp

Got out this morning, was able to take a couple hours off of work. In the stand by 7:00, just at first light. I didn't kick anything out on the way in, saw lots of tracks and some bigger beds in the snow. Needless to say I was optimistic. About 7:45 a 6 pointer came strolling in. He winded me and trotted off. I was after a doe anyway as I already burned my buck tag during firearm season. About 8 I notice a deer above me, its a doe, 60 yds and going away, I didn't feel comfortable with that shot so I let her walk as another doe came down the bluff following the same path as the 1st. I still didn't like any of my shots on the 2nd so I passed, and then noticed the first doe had come back and was now only 50 yards away, lower on the bluff and positioning itself for a much better shot. Aimed, fired, she dropped and slid down the bluff. All happened very quick and was a lot of fun. Love the late season in the woods with the cold and snow.

Thanks,

It was really nice to get back in the woods. Deer have really been concentrating on food sources. Valleys are definitely better than bluff tops if you are in SEMN.

My dad scored a nice doe this week during the cold weather. He shot it with his new TC. Very pumped. While it was the first year in 5 years he didn't drop a Pope and Young MN whitetail. He was quick to remind me he did pretty good considering he's almost 70 and has major back issues. He shot one with his bow, rifle and smoke pole this year. Very happy for him and glad he still pushes through all the elements, good times....

20131212_192618_zps2eced51e.jpg

I sat on a woods/field corner this evening. There were quite a few tracks/dig outs in the alfalfa. the last hour was exciting as a fawn came running by followed by a forky. Later 2 fawns and another small buck came out. They all passed within 15 yards of me. At last light a nice doe came by, I was going to drop her but her back was all ruffled and she was looking behind her, I let her walk by incase Mr. Big was trailing. he wasn't. Tomorrow she won't be so lucky....

I came up empty this year, but had a fun muzzy season. Had a doe come within a few steps of a spitting distance shot, but she stopped behind a big blow down. She may have came across my scent from where I came,so instead of taking those last few steps, she backed out. She slunk away, ne never presenting a good shot.

I noticed she was favoring a front leg. I got down to check and found a drop of blood. Tracked her for a few hundreds yards in the swamp, losing and then finding her trail again. The wound must have been minor, because there were only a few very small drops.

Did a drive today and took two shots, each around 50 yards. Clean misses on running deer. One in our group took a doe, and another had a really nice buck run past him at 10 yards. No shot, but a good memory.

Here's to next year. Hope the deer make it through ok...

Tag soup for me. I had my chances though. I passed on 11 fawns/small bucks and 1 nice doe in the 5 times I made it out. By far the coldest season I have ever been a part off. Not sure If it was ever about zero when I was able to get out. Still enjoyed it tremendously and looking forward to a few more sits with the bow. I suppose now Mr. Big will hang up about 50 yards away!

Made it out for the final weekend with my son in tow. He has hunted with me for four years now without me pulling the trigger. I promised him I would take the first mature doe we saw so he was super excited. We made it to the stand about 3:00 on Friday the 13th.

full-4296-40373-image.jpg

I had him climb into the stand first and he saw deer immediately trying to get into the field while I was still on the ground. His frantic pointing and borderline shouting "deer!" had them fleeing quickly. It was about -15 with the windchill when we got settled in. It wasn't long and the first deer tried to make their way into the corn. I had to explain several times how a muzzleloader with open sites was not able to take deer ethically over 100 yards. My comfort zone is more like 50 I explained. The wind was swirling and not ideal for this stand but it was our best option. All the deer that came out in the first hour were either too far, running into the field, behind branches, or some other Issue. I explained over and over that we don't shoot through bushes or trees at deer. We had seen several sets of does with fawns and one group of seven. None of them presented a good shot. Between the cold and me not shooting, it was nearing the end of our sit one way or another. I explained over and over about the ethics of a good shot and not rushing it. All he knew is he wanted me to shoot.....NOW!! I had told him we were going to wait until 5:00 to head back to the house. About 4:45 with my son now shivering pretty good he spots a group headed to the field from the perfect direction. The first three are into the field before I can get my binocs on them but they are a set of does and fawns. I explained that the one hanging back and hesitating was probably a buck. Got the binocs on it and it looked like a nice fat doe. I told my son this was the one. He started fidgeting and craning to see better while the deer cautiously made it out to the field edge. I pulled up and in a cloud of smoke and fresh powder smell the deer dropped In its tracks. My son screamed " You Got Her!!" and flew down the ladder. I got to,the ground about the same time he got to the deer. "Dad she's huge!" I was excited too as for some reason I have never been able to drop the hammer on a doe. Just always felt uneasy and kind of a wuss about it. I thought I finally had the monkey off my back and had taken a nice doe......The next words out of my sons mouth changed that however ...."And she's got tiny antlers!!" On no, that wasn't the plan.....I usually end up eating my buck tag waiting for Mr. Big so the tag wasn't a problem. We have been trying to only shoot mature bucks though and this deer wasn't a wall hanger. My son was so excited that I soon realized I had been forcing my standards on him while we hunted in the past few years. This deer made me see its not all about big antlers when you are teaching the youngsters about deer hunting. He wanted to gut it back at the house so his siblings could see the deer whole and how big he was. We drug him most of them 200 yards back to the truck fully intact. I soon realized there was zero chance of us getting him in my truck in this condition so I convinced my son we needed to gut him. He had lots of questions while we gutted him by the light of our headlamps. It went really quickly and we struggled and wrestled the buck into my truck. He couldn't have been happier while grabbing his brother and sister to show them the deer. High fives were shared and his deer season was over for another year.

full-4296-40374-image.jpg

full-4296-40375-image.jpg

Congrats on a very successful huntesp with the recent weather conditions

that smile says it all. u got a real trooper there. heck i wussed out because of the weather lol

Kudos again and im he'll remember that forever

Great Story you both will share forever. Look at that smile and tell me that is not a trophy animal. I bet he is already itching to get a smoke pole of his own. Thank You for taking the time to introduce him to the great sport of hunting and the great outdoors. Hopefully one less kid glued to the old x-box.