• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Cattin the Chain 2014

Was on the chain today with mncountyboy. Hit both long and horseshoe.. drilled over 80 holes. Found lots of small crappie but no cats. We moved all over looking for better fish but found the bigger ones were not heavily schooled up. I caught several 5inch crappie. . Lol. Still an ok day but it could and should have been way better. Did get to try out the navionics app.. its really sweet. Wish I had it years ago.

• Replies 362
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Rick G

• aanderud

• DTro

• Tom Sawyer

Was out in front of the cabin last night on shoe. Cats were very active and I had to look outside to make sure I was not at the meth hole. Caught my 6th cat this year 5 pounds and over. Wish I would have brought out some livers with me, but I was in a rush and wanted some eyes.

Don

I had a blast fishing today in a couple new spots. I caught 11 cats with the biggest at about 19 inches, not a lot of size, but very fun. I also got into 3 eyes today. I got one out of the hole, but the other to just to the surface and they shook off. The one I iced was just over 18. The other 2 appeared a bit smaller. I spent the dayout there with tom, mike, willie and his son jackson?. Sorry if I got his name wrong. Great time today. I look forward to doing it again with you guys!

Yes "Action Jaxon" did have fun and as of last text he's still picking up a crappie here and there, with Father and Grandfather. He was pumped to have tomorrow off and wanted to fish until at least 10, even if the bite faded by 4:30.

Seen a new way to transport stink bait today also.

full-44147-41640-p1190069.jpg

full-44147-41642-p1190071.jpg

full-44147-41644-p1190070.jpg

Hi, everyone I signed up a little while ago and have been reading everyone's posts. I have not been out as much as i would like too due too having our second son but reading everyone's posts help with not getting out enough.Needless to say my wife is tired of me talking about HSO. Wanted to say Tom that's my white suburban in the background of your picture. Glad too see the young guy having fun. Today was my first time ice fishing the chain. My friend and i started on Becker with only a few small sunnies. Then to horseshoe where we got some crappies. 34' water. At about 4:00 they slowed way down. I think the cats came in. Then we went to cedar and fished 17' water and picked up some more. Average size was "small" but we did get enough keepers for a good meal. Full minnows didn't work very well. most came on small tungsten jigs "pink" with waxie or northland spoon with just a minnow head. I look forward to meeting some of you in the feature and good luck to all.

Great job, Tom smile Way to guide some catfish newbies wink

We arrived after things had slowed down this evening. I hopped around a bit at prime time, picking off a cat here and a crappie there.

After darkness set in I moved into my wheelhouse where my buddy was already set up and catching fish smile Action was far from good, but we did manage to get fish to bite. Glow orange and glow blue were the two colors the few cats we got seemed to like best. full-26589-41652-034.jpg

My partner in crime for the evening with a respectable one smile

Thanks a lot to Tom, Rick and Matt for putting us on the fish! laugh

Jaxon had a blast. We caught four more cats and quite a few crappies after you guys left. We ended up taking 9 cats and 16 crappies home. Jaxon caught the biggest one about 19 inches on a red glow spoon with garlic scented liver. We saw plenty of them on our Marcums. Sorry for so much interference. As a matter of fact, the crappies were still hitting when we left at 10 pm. We definitely have a new spot for crappies and can keep Willie happy catching cats.

full-16263-41681-horseshoelakeresults.jp

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

Way to go guys!

Looks like you had a lot of fun and seeing the young man smile like that is awesome.

Great job, Tom smile Way to guide some catfish newbies wink

Actually Rick, Willie and Mike are not newbies to cattin' at all. When they lived in California they chased them exclusively.

Looking to do some fishing tomorrow since I have the day off(and one of the few days with +temps in the next week) Anyone want to try finding some cats with a newbie?

I'm headed out the door right now to hit up 'shoe. Not sure if I'm gonna set up the porty or hole hop, but I will likely be around the meth hole somewhere. I drive a green (salt colored currently) mountaineer. Stop by and say hi.

Very finicky, bait choice would have been wigglers but they seem to be very tough to find this year. I found some plastics again this year i had very good luck with a few years ago but couldn't find anything like it until this year again. I've had a lot of luck with it again this year but these guys were so light I think they were just nibbling on the tail. Ended up catching most of them off waxies but they had to be mashed up before you would get the nice ones. The less bait left the better. Small green moon glow and just a tiny bit of waxie left did the best. Gonna take the neighbor out tomorrow and hopefully find some wigglers on the way.

Thanks for the info Whisker! I been hearing the wigglers are doing better not every time but more often this winter than last winter for both crappies and gills.Who knows if or why.Been trying to ween off them myself as I'm getting in to more plastics which been a lot of fun too.What ever works...

So I was thinking about heading out there next weekend but heard that it might not be able to make it out to the meth hole? My brother is coming down from up north and just wanted to make sure he wasn't wasting a trip as we wanted to catch some cats. Just wondering if it is possible to make it out there with a 4x4 or a wheeler? Thanks

Yeah any 4x4 should do the trick. Been out the last two nights and haven't had any issues as far as off road travel. There is a plowed road traveling towards the meth hole but haven't been back there. Might have to as fishing in the bay has been super super slow.

Anyone can catch a big fish, it takes real skill to hook something that small grin Thanks Traderlee for getting me at one of my best moments grin

Got into a few cats today, funny thing is they hitting whole live minnows better than anything else crazyfull-26589-42139-002.jpg

full-26589-42140-004.jpg

full-26589-42141-007.jpg

All smaller ones tonight, though I did have one beast on for just a few moments...then gone like the wind it went frown

Got a whole bunch of the papermouths too, some even bigger than the one my good friend got me with full-26589-42142-001.jpg

full-26589-42143-006.jpg

They bit pretty well, got a few doubles and even a triple. Crappies went for Impulse mayflies and the Powerbait minnow fry