• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Manziel Debate

DrJuice1980

Mel Kiper just compared Manziel to Fran Tarkenton and said he would be a perfect fit for the Vikings. I don't think he will make it to #8 at this point.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Big Dave2

• DrJuice1980

• CaptainMusky

• LMITOUT

Hard to say what happens between now and the then, wait until the combine to see the #'s and character issue reports.

I remember last year at this time everyone was saying the 2014 draft was gonna be the best QB draft of all time, now everyone is saying there are not any good ones lol.

ITS OFFICIAL!!!

THE LITTLE BOY IS COMING TO PLAY IN THE NFL!!!

Hope he has stocked up on insurance policies.

This play epitomizes why I don't want him in a Vikings uniform. In the NFL this play is either a huge loss or an interception with a long return. Know what other QB likes to run around behind the line and heave the ball where it doesn't belong? Christian Ponder.

">

ITS OFFICIAL!!!

but he's only 21 and still growing. He has big hands and big feet so that equates to a good NFL qb right?

Carr will be a great fit here for sure. Maybe Ponder could learn a thing or 2 from him.

Mel Kiper just compared Manziel to Fran Tarkenton and said he would be a perfect fit for the Vikings. I don't think he will make it to #8 at this point.

The NFL is a VERY VERY different place than when Fran played.

Maybe Kiper was referring to how much they love themselves. Gosh I really hate when Fran comes on a talk show and just blabs on about himself. I also didnt like the Farve bashing.

Fran, you are not gods gift to football. Get over yourself.

Panzel will be an NFL flop. What happens when he doesn't have Luke Joeckel and Matthews blocking for him, and first round recievers catching the ball for him??

He will have NFL players blocking for him. The vikes have a solid LT. They have decent receivers and a QB's best friend AP.

ITS OFFICIAL!!!

Just curious how old are you? I have found that most people with a big problem with Johnny football is 50 plus.

I'm 33 and I don't think his style of play is transitional to the NFL. Go ahead and try to compare his athleticism to Kaepernick and you have obviously misjudged talent. Or attempt to relate him to Russell Wilson and then go watch how many plain stupid throws JM makes in comparison to Wilson and you have been mistaken once again. Or talk about his ability to make plays and I will name quite a few college QBs that could make plays but couldnt transition, like Big Dave's favorite, Vince Young.

The kids an athlete that is for sure (not many NFL players arent athletes). You need more than that to be successful in the NFL.

I have found that most people with a big problem with Johnny football is 50 plus.

That, or since Manziel doesn't fit into the mold of the "prototypical QB" it makes their mind explode and therefore he is immediately dismissed. (see post above)

I DO NOT like the Carr pick at 8...from the mock that was just posted.

Mosely or Watkins still on the board would make that a very tough decision.

ITS OFFICIAL!!!

Its official...Tarkenton approves.

Johnny Manziel's ability to wheel around and improvise plays has had analysts comparing him to several NFL quarterbacks, past and present. Among the more popular comparisons has been Fran Tarkenton, the former Minnesota Vikings quarterback who, like Manziel, made a living off hurting defenses on broken plays.

Apparently, Tarkenton approves.

Shortly after Manziel officially announced he would enter the 2014 NFL Draft, Tarkenton took to Twitter and gave his thumbs up to the quarterback as well as the comparison. "Manziel is a football savant," he tweeted. "Can't teach what he does."

Tarkenton, for one, is hoping his former team targets Manziel in the draft.

The Vikings, who finished 5-10-1 this season, will have the eighth pick in the draft, and NFL Media analyst Daniel Jeremiah believes they will use their first pick on a quarterback.

Whether Manziel will still be on the board is uncertain. According to Jeremiah, four of the teams drafting ahead of Minnesota -- Houston at No. 1, Jacksonville at No. 3, Cleveland at No. 4, and Oakland at No. 5 -- have a need at quarterback. The Browns in particular are reportedly very high on Manziel.

With the Browns being very high on Manziel that should be a HUGE RED FLAG for everyone else to run the other way!!!

At least Oakland picks in front of us. They will jump on one of the grenades on the draft board for us.

Given the Vikings' record of drafting quarterbacks, they might consider a little espionage to find out who teams that have a talent for picking good quarterbacks "like". (Green Bay, Pittsburgh, San Fran., New England...)

That, or since Manziel doesn't fit into the mold of the "prototypical QB" it makes their mind explode and therefore he is immediately dismissed. (see post above)

If making smart choices with NOT heaving the ball into coverage is the calling of a prototypical QB then you are correct. Go ahead and think a 21 yr old kid is going to change the way an NFL QB plays, you're asinine. Mike Vick was twice as dangerous coming out of Va Tech, I bet you hated him back then but now get wood every time you hear "Manziel."

Cant stay in the pocket, wont last with the big boys. He needs to seriously change his game and allow somebody to teach him. I dont see it happening, take the money and run JM. He's going to load up on so much advertising $'s as possible and fizzle out faster than an open coke can.

Man, I can't wait to see how this Manziel thing shakes out, there will be alot of bragging rights for who's right, and alot of crow eating for who's wrong.

He is not Christian Ponder, and he is not Steve Young or Bret Farve. He is somewhere in between. He just doesnt have the arm strength of a Farve. Remember all the broken WR fingers Farve caused back in the day. Never gonna happen from the little boy wonder.

I think NFL teams will make him look ordinary the same way they made RG3 look ordinary.

My biggest gripe with little Johnny is he wont have near as long to throw in the NFL, he will get killed running (just like RG3 and Vick did), and he holds the ball like a one-hand-moroon. All recipes for mediocrity.

Almost all of the HOF Qbs are known for their arm and passing ability, not there run around and blindly chuck the ball down the field and pray ability.

Francis, you're not god, you need to come back down to earth. Im going to rip my ears off the next time I hear him talking about how he is so good at business decisions, and how hes saved soooo many small business's. Hate his guts...

Quote:
NFL scout compares Johnny Manziel to Brett Favre

BY BRYAN ROSE - JAN 1ST, 2014 AT 1:53 PM

Texas A&M quarterback Johnny Manziel has yet to declare himself eligible for the upcoming NFL Draft, but when he does, one scout believes he’ll be similar to Brett Favre – this according to the National Football Post.

“He’s Favre,” the scout said. “On Sunday, he’s going to play his (butt) off. The rest of the week, he’s going to do what he wants to do.”

“If you tell him not to go drink, he’s not going to listen. He’s going to go drink,” the scout said of Johnny Manziel. “If you can tell him not to chase (women). He’s going to chase (women). That’s just who he is and he’s going to do what he wants. I think he’s going to be great, but you’re going to have to deal with him on his terms.”

Of course, scouts opinions are just that – opinions. That said, Jason Cole reports the same scout accurately predicted that Seattle Seahawks quarterback Russell Wilson would go on to become a star in the league before he was drafted, so his opinion may come with a bit more merit than others.

Quote:
Where's he going? Best NFL landing spots for Johnny Manziel

Joel Klatt

FOX Sports

JAN 08, 2014 12:40p ET

It was just a matter of time, right?

Most people expected Texas A&M quarterback Johnny Manziel to declare for the NFL Draft and he did so on Wednesday. So that's out the way, but what now? Well, the real fun starts. Where will Johnny Football land on the next level? Let's break down the best NFL landing spots for him.

1. Minnesota Vikings (No. 8 overall pick)

Minnesota is in the market for a new coach and likely a new QB. They have explosive pieces on offense outside of Adrian Peterson. Even if Manziel struggles early, the Vikings could lean on Peterson and a QB who can execute the zone-read to throw less and get the ball in Peterson's hands more. Wide receiver/kick returner Cordarrelle Patterson has turned into one of the most explosive players in the NFL, and Manziel would flourish with defenses focused on AP and Patterson. Plus, as the Vikings move outdoors for two seasons while their new stadium gets built, why not go with a guy whom people have compared to Fran Tarkenton?

2. Cleveland Browns (No. 4 overall pick)

The Browns need a QB and have two first-round picks (No. 26 from Indy). Josh Gordon is one of the best wideouts in the game, but Cleveland has problems protecting the passer. They need a QB who can create space on his own and has the creativity to get the ball to Gordon in several different ways. General manager Michael Lombardi is a Bill Belichick disciple, and there is a history of his guys taking a chance on QBs in the first round (Josh McDaniels took Tim Tebow with Denver).

3. Oakland Raiders (No. 5 overall pick)

Has there been a QB to come into the draft who was a more perfect fit for an organization? Manziel and everything he has been through in three years at Texas A&M screams Oakland. Not to mention they need to create some buzz, and Manziel has a following and fame that is unrivaled. Head coach Dennis Allen does not have the answer with Matt McGloin or Terrelle Pryor, and they have to find a solution for running back Darren McFadden's health situation. Manziel could take hits away from McFadden and revitalize the organization.

4. Arizona Cardinals (No. 20 overall pick)

Carson Palmer has been a great stop-gap for Bruce Arians and the Cardinals. The NFC West is no joke with Seattle and San Francisco, plus St. Louis has great pass rushers and two first-round picks, including No. 2 overall. With three good defenses in one division, Arizona has to find a long-term quarterback. The Cardinals' defense is as good as advertised, and Tyrann Mathieu, should he return healthy next year, may have helped ease the organization's fear of taking players who have off-field issues. It may be a wild card, but if Manziel is still on the board, it would be a smart pick, plus he could learn behind Palmer for at least a year.

5. Jacksonville Jaguars (No. 3 overall pick)

Jacksonville could use Manziel, but the Jags could use anyone, really. Much of Oakland's reasoning applies here: a disheartened fan base, poor attendance and no answer at quarterback. This is not as good of a fit because the team's defense needs help, and there are going to be some great defensive players on the board. Also, if they go with a quarterback, Blake Bortles from UCF might be a better fit. If he impresses in the next two months, he could land in Jacksonville. Manziel would be sitting pretty with picks Nos. 4, 5 and 8 coming up in the form of Cleveland, Oakland and Minnesota.

Man, I can't wait to see how this Manziel thing shakes out, there will be alot of bragging rights for who's right, and alot of crow eating for who's wrong.
Nooo, that will never happen. On this site? You gotta be kidding. LOL