• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Freeman a Vike?

corncob

Maybe not too many better in college but I just don't think his game will translate to the NFL. You're already seeing the demise of the read option and that's his bread and butter. Should be interesting to see if he is even a mid first round pick.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• CaptainMusky

• Big Dave2

• LMITOUT

• Scott K

Top Posters In This Topic

Johnny Football has more highlights in one season, then the Vikings have in the past 5 years

The list of record-setting college QBs who have failed in the NFL is much longer than the list of those who have become franchise QBs. College performance is an awfully iffy indicator.

^^^what he said. Big Dave I'm sorry but with that last post you lost a ton of credibility with me.

Manziel will be a huge flop.

I think he is a Vick clone. If the system he gets put into is ready for that, then he will be above average. If he gets put into our system, he will be on a stretcher by his 3rd game.

Let's ask LMIT, Buck or RRR and get their insight. They always seem to know what is best for the Vikes. wink

Well, I'm batting 1000 on TJack, Mcnabb, Webb, and Ponder so yeah, I'm doing pretty good. smile

full-593-37610-johnnydollars_medium.gif

Don't leave me out. I hated all three and a half of those QBs too. Not a fan of the move. I want to draft our own franchise QB and have him here for 10+ years and build the team around him like real teams do. This picking up the scraps of the other teams is really old. Who cares what Freeman did in 2010!! Its 2013, and that's what counts. Maybe we should see if Namath could put down the booze for the rest of the year and come play for us.

Worst thing that could happen is Freeman has some success, and we give him a huge contract. We will NEVER win a superbowl with this guy. Mark it 8 dude. OVER THE LINE!!!!

Oh, and Manzel will blow in the NFL. A guy like Murray out of Georgia would be a better choice. Tajh Boyd will blow too.

How often has drafting a qb worked for the vikes there buck? Real easy to just "draft a franchise qb". No one has any clue what most college qb's will translate to in the NFL. None of the qb's we draft ever work out and id hate to waste another 3 years on the next ponder. Unless we have a top 2 or 3 pick and the next andy luck is in the 2014 draft its a frickin' carp shoot. At least Freeman has proven he can be a stud for one season... There is nothing wrong with bringing freeman in for a try for a little of ziggys $$. Go ahead and discount 25tds and 6 picks if you want. Make fun of the move all you want- it is still worth it no matter what happens.

Yeah Buck, we all want duckies and bunnies but fact is most of the time we end up with skunks.

Teams that draft and keep a franchise qb are few and very far between.

Good luck with that.

Oh, and Manzel will blow in the NFL. A guy like Murray out of Georgia would be a better choice. Tajh Boyd will blow too.

I never said Johnny Football was going to be the second coming of Peyton Manning but I don't think he will be John David Booty either. I see Manziel as a decent NFL QB, Much better than anything the vikings have had lately.

Murray's a nice QB too, his knock is he can't win the big ones. I'm not sure how that will translate to an NFL QB? One thing Manziel could do that Murray couldn't is beat Alabama, and he was only a freshman.

Johnny football is young, give him a chance to grow up a little.

Johnny Football is dynamite in a bottle...waaaay too much downside to stake your future on him. I would bet he's off 75% of teams draft boards right now....He's the definition of "trouble"!!

Great player in college...there's no doubt about that.

Small, rich kid who has been given everything he wants to him on a silver/gold platter...

He'd be a great back-up to Vick...if the head coach can keep his job that long.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

CaptainMusky said: "I will burn everything purple I own if the vikings draft that POS "Johnny Football". He is a little punk and will NOT be an NFL Franchise QB."

I don't care for his antics any more than you do but I certainly think he is the real deal at QB. Not too many better than Johnny Football.

Big Dave would know as Johnny Football kicked Bama's arse last year laugh

I never said Johnny Football was going to be the second coming of Peyton Manning but I don't think he will be John David Booty either.

Can you define "read deal" then? Since that is what you said about Manziel in a prior post.

To me, "real deal" means exactly what you said he isn't (Peyton Manning, Andrew Luck....).

To me Johnny is the second coming of Ryan Leaf. Sure he'll be in the NFL-not for long league. Attitude and he's so into himself.

MBT should be given a chance. Vikes didn't want to risk losing him since there was apparently a lot of interest in him from other teams if he was exposed. Maybe they're hoping he could be groomed into a starter.

Well, I'm batting 1000 on TJack, Mcnabb, Webb, and Ponder so yeah, I'm doing pretty good. smile

Those were some BOLD predictions I guess.... You gambled big time!

I see Johnny Football dropping in the draft. His talent will project as a top tier pick but teams are going to be gun shy on him because he comes with a lot of risk.

He is still young and still has time to learn from his mistakes but to this point he doesn't seem to be heading in the direction of learning from them. He seems to adopt an arrogant "I'm going to do what I want" attitude which rarely works when you get in the NFL and suddently you have millions of dollars and total freedom but you also have the expectations of an NFL QB. Typically its a bad mix.

I think he has the talent and mindset to win in the NFL it will just depend on how he matures as a person and what sort of situation he's drafted into.

I'd love to see Manziel face an NFL defense, no way at this point would his game transition to the big leagues. He would need to adapt his game to the pro's. If he brings the same type of game to the NFL he is going to be around for 2 years, tops. A smart GM isn't going to waste a top pick on a guy like that, now add in the attitude issue and he's dropping even further. Great college QB, not NFL.

Can you define "read deal" then? Since that is what you said about Manziel in a prior post.

To me, "real deal" means exactly what you said he isn't (Peyton Manning, Andrew Luck....).

"Real Deal" means that he will be a starting NFL QB and he will perform average to above average.

Big Dave would know as Johnny Football kicked Bama's arse last year laugh

Yes, and I have fully admitted as much.

Who was National Champion last year, again? wink

He will end up with less accomplishments than Rex Grossman and a shorter career. Nobody can take away from him his college game skills. Those don't transfer over to the NFL as well as you may think. This kid attitude doesn't warrant any thought that he is willing to learn, which he will need to do a lot of if he has a shot at the next level. Which is coming sooner than you think, no way this kid is ready to go next year in the big leagues. He has a lot of growing up to do.

He's Tim Tebow with a terrible attitude.

NDSU

Heh. That's right. They basically won the NCAA JV championships. I believe 90% of the country had no idea that championship game was even being played.

On topic...

The freeman move is interesting. I don't immediately hate the move, freeman has had some good numbers in past years, though he's also sucked.

I have a lot more faith in him than I do Cassel or Ponder... i think it's worth a shot to see what he can do.

Am I optimistic? Hell no. I do think it's going to work out better than the McNabb fiasco though.

I dont think the situation with Freeman can be compared to McNabb on even the same page let alone breath. On one hand you have a guy who is young, had some success, some failure, while on the other you have a guy who should have retired 5 years prior.

Their performance may rival each other on the field, but taking a chance on Freeman is much less of a risk considering what we have at QB right now. When McNabb was brought in to be "the guy" there wasnt really anything to fall back on besides a rookie.

I will be interested to see the spin that evolves next week and see if Freeman is named the starter. That will largely depend how this week's game turns out.

The Freeman acquisition doesn't bring a whole lot of risk if any risk at all (1yr deal). What else were we going to do, bring in Flynn? a CFL guy? Both bad choices. At least now there is some pressure to perform for everybody involved. We're 1-3, its still early in the season to turn it around but we had to do something. I'm not confident that this the answer but it looks better than anything else (might just be lipstick on a pig). Good thing is it doesn't seem like any team is running away with the NFC North this season, yet that is.

Heh. That's right. They basically won the NCAA JV championships. I believe 90% of the country had no idea that championship game was even being played.

Apparently you have the same attitude towards FCS schools as Kansas State, Oregon State and a few others that lost to FCS schools this year.

I agree, no harm done, low risk, possible high reward. We all know Ponder is done, and even our FO knows Cassel is nothing more then a decent back up QB. Why not give Freeman a shot? We didnt give up anything to acquire him, and money isnt an object, its not mine. We are basically giving him a shot to shine, if he does, great, we re sign him next year with a contract that is based on his production, if he flops like we all suspect, what are we out? Nothing. Would I rather have them get Manning in here, sure. Isnt going to happen. Would I rather have them take the best college QB of the next years draft and try him out for the rest of this season, sure, Not going to happen. SO we may as well have Freeman to fallback on, when Cassel flops, rather then giving the ball back to Ponder, which we all know is on the trading block right now.

He's Tim Tebow with a terrible attitude.

No, He's Tim Tebow with QB skills. There was never a chance for Tim Tebow to be an average NFL QB. He is a fullback playing QB.

Manziel is 10 times the QB that Tebow ever was.