• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Mean dog

Ice Wolf

I did that one time. Had a little male yipper showing up at my place, after running him off a few times I tied up about 3-4 tin cans on a string and tied them to his collar. Freaked him out, he wouldn't move off the spot!!! Went into the house and got the shotgun, shot up in the air a couple times and he took off running across the road - and got hung up in some brush!!! Sat and listened to him yip all afternoon and finally went and cut him loose!!! Left the rope on his collar hoping the owners would get the hint.

Next time he showed up I threw him into my outdoor kennel, got the hose out, and sprayed him down with water - it was November, after doing that a few times all afternoon he was pretty cold. Turned him loose and away he went. Still didn't stop him, so the next time he showed up I threw him into the truck and took him to the pound, tied him to the fence and left.

You have a strange way of handling things. Before you start torturing the dog why not talk to the owner. Also taking the dog to the pound is fine but did you really just tie it up to a fence at the pound and drive away instead of handing the dog over to someone? How long do you suppose it stayed tied up before someone found it? Seems like a pretty poor way of handling the situation.

You could do like my grandpa and soak a corn cob in some turpentine and then rub it on the spot where the sun don't shine for the neighbor dog.

Vile.

I agree DrJill. It's a sick world isn't it? It's disturbing to read about the cruelty that people possess. I wonder if they ever thought about trying kindness?

You know Gentlemen, I've never owned a dog that didn't enjoy water.

But I've never owned a dog that liked getting a bath either.

If I want my dog to give me some space, I'll ask him if he wants a bath.

He'll disappear for a good hour. laugh

Why ?

Because he hates having to "clean" himself up afterwards. And no amount of rinsing changes that.

Imagine if I washed him with a bucket of diluted bitters and didn't rinse.

It's that simple. Think about it.

some dogs are just plain "mean". I will never own one...will weed it out/get rid of it prior to the dog hurting someone or something....thats just me.

a good friend of mine had an incredible hunting dog. Issues was, the dog will not hunt with other dogs due to dominance and fighting. This dog would fight every dog it sees...until the other dog gives up or is bleeding profusely.

He hunts with us, but was never allowed to bring his pooch due to the fighting and potential vet bills that follow.

Just last year, his dog bit and almost killed a little ankle biter that was walking down the street with his neighbor. After vet bills and a lawsuit, he finally put his dog down....way too many fights, way too much $$$ doled out over the years.

The point is: one must accept responsibility as a pet owner and accept everything that comes along with owning a pet. I for one, do not have respect nor patience for people who do not take owning a pet seriously....because ultimately, the pet loses in the end...be it turning up mean, missing, shot, put down, etc.

On the other hand, I will not tolerate a neighbors pet coming onto my property and getting aggressive....one talk with the owner and warning....no more chances. They need to control the dog. Sheriff and Cops would be called. If no resolution and the dog is still aggressive on my property - the dog takes a long nap.

The point is: one must accept responsibility as a pet owner and accept everything that comes along with owning a pet. I for one, do not have respect nor patience for people who do not take owning a pet seriously....because ultimately, the pet loses in the end...be it turning up mean, missing, shot, put down, etc.

On the other hand, I will not tolerate a neighbors pet coming onto my property and getting aggressive....one talk with the owner and warning....no more chances. They need to control the dog. Sheriff and Cops would be called. If no resolution and the dog is still aggressive on my property - the dog takes a long nap.

This is probably the best post I've read on this topic so far. I live pretty much in the middle of nowhere. Others dogs come onto my property all the time. Mostly, I don't care as they're nice dogs. I have a dog of my own so when another lays a land mine in the back yard I really don't give a rip. This all changes if the dog is in any way mean. I'll talk to the owner (Whom I prolly know quite well) a couple of times. If nothing changes, much to the disappointment of Dr. Jill, the dog takes a long nap. Call it cruel if you wish but it's the reality of what it is. My grandkids, myself, or anyone else on my property should not and will not have to worry about someone else's mean dog running up and taking a chunk of their leg off.

My old man lives within 3 miles of Eric. If one of our labs takes off, it sits in the kennel for a week and is let out and kept in sight during that time. Farm life allows our dogs to roam around the farm, more so the older they get...But they only get a few opportunities before they're leashed. We also board dogs. Many of which cannot be trusted and could run away. We used to have a 40yd long cable about 15' high connected from a tree to a machine shed and a leesh connected to that cable. If a dog cannot be trusted it gets put on that leesh and can still run outside. We also have a large outdoor kennel for them to run during the day. So it's not "Torture" when they must be controlled and kenneled. FWIW

I would certainly agree some dogs are just mean. And I have as little tolerance for it as any of you. Re-read the thread about a young dog growling and showing teeth to the Lady of the house if you doubt me. I recall taking some heat there too. laugh

But I also know a proven old school technique that has never failed to drive away an unwelcome dog. Atleast for me. A very effective deterent.

Which is all I need.

Shoot, poison, trap and repeatedly hose on a cold day ...

I'll never do any of those.

But I have always solved the problem.

To each there own I guess.

You have a strange way of handling things. Before you start torturing the dog why not talk to the owner. Also taking the dog to the pound is fine but did you really just tie it up to a fence at the pound and drive away instead of handing the dog over to someone? How long do you suppose it stayed tied up before someone found it? Seems like a pretty poor way of handling the situation.

Waa, waa, waa. I was trying to convince the little mutt that my place was not a warm, fuzzy place to hang out, by the time he ran home he was warmed up - not bleeding and not a welt on him. As far as tying him to the fence, I needed to get to work, pound opened at 8, an hour tied to a fence didn't hurt him. A lot better than sitting in the back of my truck in the sun for 5-6 hours until I could get back over there. And a lot better than people putting their dog on a chain for days on end.

DrJill....what do you think that adding a tablespoon of bleach to a bucket of water is going to do? If anything adding bleach makes the water more potable. The CDC recommends adding bleach in similar proportions to make it more shelf stables and taste better longer. Adding bleach to a bucket of water to throw at a dog makes no sense. It's no different than using a regular bucket of water. When I grew up the neighbor dog ran loose and had a mean streak. It took me off my bike one time. My Uncle went back with a bull prod and did a little impromptu jousting off his bike. That dog never chased me again.

Last time Gentlemen.

I find the level of resistance ridiculous. I'm sharing an opinion. It's solved this problem for me. If your really so incredulous, try it. Or you can pull out your guns, cattle prods, corn cobs, anti-freeze, whatever. I don't care. It won't be my dog.

Enough bleach so I can smell it. It will be much stronger for the dog.

And I'll risk erring on the side of too little.

A human has about 5 million scent glands, compared to a dog, who has anywhere from 125 to 300 million. A dogs sense of smell is 1,000 to 10,000,000 times more sensitive than a human’s (depending on the breed).

Cleaning itself will irrite the dogs nose and tounge.

Makes for a very bad day. Not something they'll want to repeat.

BTW ... if any of us stood next to a pool that had 1000s of times to much chlorine, our noses would be irritated too. To say the least. Would you go back ?