• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

GOPHER FOOTBALL BABY!!!

JBMasterAngler

RRR, to you it's a meaningless win but to those young men not far removed from high school it's one of biggest days of their life. I hope if you have or ever have kids in sports they don't have to get back to you when they win the state championship so you don't waste your time on their meaningless games.

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Big Dave2

• CaptainMusky

• JBMasterAngler

• zepman

How about now bigdave?

How about what?

Yes it was a nice win for the Gophs and a horrible loss for Nebraska. I only watched a quarter or so of the game but the little I was able to see was actually entertaining for once.

I would be more excited about these last 2 wins if the Gophers hadn't laid such rotten eggs against Iowa and Michigan. The fact is, Nebraska has not played anyone of substance yet so there is no telling how bad or good they really are yet.

It's a nice win but in the grand scheme of college football it's still not worth much until you start at least challenging for a division title if not a conference title. I'm certainly not willing to call this win meaningless like RRR because in recruiting terms it could mean a lot.

This was an important game to watch to see the entire evolution of this team under the current coaching regime. Down 10 early and they come back and take a two score lead into half. Defense was inspired. Would have nearly doubled the sacks today if hagemon didn't have those personal foul calls.

Some gutsy play calling and overall very good execution. Several dropped passes had they gone the other way the game would have likely been a 3 TD win.

This was an important game to watch to see the entire evolution of this team under the current coaching regime.

LOL, You better hope that is not the "entire" evolution of this team. I hate to break it to you, but I don't think they are winning a National Championship this year.

Oh really? Good lord you're no better than RRR.

If you had actually watched this game in entirety and compared the overall play in it to previous games and those from recent coaching staffs you would see without question a big improvement.

Previous teams would have folded when down 10 pts. These kids fought back with some timely play calling and made plays. They didn't play a perfect game and still won. Some, like you, would think the only chance they had is if they played perfect and were playing some pathetic opponent. Nebraska may not be what they once were but still a better team than northwestern and some of the other big ten teams.

I'm not ready to create a bronze bust for every person on the roster but they are a far better team now than when kill took over.

Perhaps you should actually watch them once before commenting? As if winning a national championship is the only measurment for improvement. If that were true 95% of the college teams would be terrible because they never won one

I love the fact that everyone just accepts Gopher mediocrity for the last 30 years. If you are one of the ones who are content year after year becoming bowl eligible by beating up on 4 sub par non conference opponents then eeking out 2 Big 10 wins wherever they can get them then going to the Meinekie car care bowl or the Liberty bowl then be my guest.

I hate to tell you but Brewster had a 6 win season and a 7 win season so technically Kill has not done anything that Brewster didn't do in his time as coach, yet. Hopefully that will change but all I am saying is I haven't seen enough yet to make that determination.

I don't think anyone is saying they're content with the way Gopher football has turned out the past XXX years. I think it's the exact opposite. The fan base has every right to get excited about two quality Big10 wins in a row. Building a program doesn't happen over night...getting the fan base involved again can and will make all the difference in the world.

Let's be honest here...I doubt the goal of Gopher Football is the National Championship...a BCS Bowl game and a Rose Bowl appearance, yes. Both, still likely a ways away. I've said this for a while now...the model for Minnesota to try to replicate is Wisconsin. They've won some conference titles, been to a few Rose Bowl games and generally have a strong program year in and year out. ^^^^This^^^^ is what the fan base of Minnesota wants their program to be.

Canon guy just ignore him and let him go back to tearing wings off flies

LOL! Thanks for the sunday morning laugh!

Kill hasn't had two 1 win seasons but Brewster did. Its nice how you use stats to support your argument but clearly ignore ALL the facts.

Who said anything about content with mediocrity? The team is improved if you cannot see that you either aren't watching or don't know what you're looking at.

There are very very few teams that can ever aspire to national championship status.

Let's be honest here...I doubt the goal of Gopher Football is the National Championship

Explains a lot.

Kill hasn't had two 1 win seasons but Brewster did. Its nice how you use stats to support your argument but clearly ignore ALL the facts.

Who said anything about content with mediocrity? The team is improved if you cannot see that you either aren't watching or don't know what you're looking at.

There are very very few teams that can ever aspire to national championship status.

Kill had a 3 win season, is that really any better?

If you want the facts, The facts are that Brewster and Kill both sucked in their first season and they both improved in their second season. we will have to wait 2 more years for the rest of the facts but in the immortal words of Denny Grenn, "if you want to crown his a$$ go ahead and crown his a$$".

Really? You better tell that to about 100 other college football teams. I'm sure someone said that at Oregon not that many years ago.

Tell that to Boise state. Undefeated season still no shot at a BCs championship. Ohio state this year, undefeated but could win out and still not have a shot.

100 other teams have that goal? Yeah right. They don't have the schedule of opponents to ALLOW them to be there even IF they win all their games.

Nice try. Not buying what you're selling.

Fact is probably 20 teams have a legitimate shot year in and year out.

Tell that to Boise state. Undefeated season still no shot at a BCs championship. Ohio state this year, undefeated but could win out and still not have a shot.

100 other teams have that goal? Yeah right. They don't have the schedule of opponents to ALLOW them to be there even IF they win all their games.

Nice try. Not buying what you're selling.

Fact is probably 20 teams have a legitimate shot year in and year out.

Having a shot at winning a national championship and having a goal of winning one are 2 different things. Why on earth would a college football programs goal be anything less than being the best team in the country?

Huh? Is it different to have a shot than to have a goal of a national championship?

You can't even make this [PoorWordUsage] up. Nominated for preposterous statement of the year.

Thanks big Dave you made my year. Muahahaha.

Huh? Is it different to have a shot than to have a goal of a national championship?

You can't even make this [PoorWordUsage] up. Nominated for preposterous statement of the year.

Thanks big Dave you made my year. Muahahaha.

What is the Gopher football program's goals then? Mediocrity?

I fear a big let down in that Indiana game eek I hope I'm wrong. However, in the past 15 years it always seems Indiana has been our next opponent after a big win, and EVERY time, they beat us!

Indiana is no slouch. Defensively they are not very good, but they always seem to put up points.

If they do perhaps win this game, that is a huge step in the right direction for this team. 3 in a row with two of those wins being on the road. That would be awesome.

Hagemon has become an absolute beast. He has been almost unstoppable. Nebraska had given up two sacks all season and he got 2 sacks himself, plus had two others that were negated by facemasking penalties.

His draft stock is skyrocketing.

Got a chance to watch a replay of the game today. Wow! Gophers looked great! I really hope the Indiana game doesn't become a shootout, but if it does, the gophers can make just enough stops to stay ahead. Nebraska's defense isn't very good, but it's certainly better than Indiana's! Gophers playing in the big ten title game? We beat Indy, Michigan State beats Michigan, then we beat Michigan State, it could happen!

I hate to jinks them, but they are looking pretty good against IU.

I have Dishnetwork, why isnt the Gophers game on BTN? Ugh!!

I don't think this is enough to put them in the rankings BUT penn state is beatable here if we play well, I think wisconsin would be a tough one to win even though its a home game. Michigan state on the road would be tough as well but heck the last 3 weeks have been fun be interesting to see how things turn out.

Some gutsy and questionable calls that could have cost them the game but hey, they won. I have a feeling they may not be so aggressive in future games but it keeps the opponents guessing. Cobb is a machine out there. Either qb seems capable but Nelson has been strong. Great heads up play to seal the game too.

Gophers got very lucky today. They had certainly put themselves in a position to lose that game and were very lucky to take advantage of an Indiana mistake.

Not saying these gopher wins aren't nice wins and they are certainly better than the usual alternative but before anyone gets too excited just remember that the Gophers have beat Indiana and Northwestern who have a combined 1 Big 10 win and Nebraska who has only beat Purdue, Illinois and Northwestern who have a combined 0 Big 10 wins.

That's a valid point but previous years the gophers find a way to gift a winless team their first win. 2 of these wins on the road so that is impressive. I agree they almost [PoorWordUsage] it away but as jerry burns once said "you can win a game many ways"