• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Your thoughts on training a hunting dog yourself

TylerS

I say... To each his own. I've hunted with well-trained hunting retrievers and dogs from hunting lines that didn't have much training. This made me respect what a well-trained dog can add to the experience - almost as valuable (to me) as a shotgun!

I had a pro do intermediate work with my lab, primarily due to a very hard mouth issue. (Obedience, force fetch, marks on land/water, steadiness, etc). But, after those 10 weeks, I had the dog doing training drills at least 5 days a week. Definitely became a hobby. I just love watching him do his thing, plain and simple! Very rewarding to watch it all click this Fall.

My $0.02...My wife and I bought our lab two years after we were married, right when I started my professional career, and 3.5 years before our daughter was born. I wanted a retriever that did some upland hunting. I followed a local trainer's advice, worked with said trainer on a few occasions (he was retired and worked with me for free), and within a years time, turned her into a fine dog. I give her some remedial training that keeps her sharp for the fall. She's not a perfect dog, but a fine dog. I am not a perfect man nor a perfect hunter, so if she makes a few mistakes, I roll with it and in a way it gives me some humility. She loves me and my family and has been a perfect companion however.

I took the time to read some reference materials and get her out and I'm happy with the results. I know where I made some mistakes and I know what steps I would have to take to make her better...Keep in mind this is all from a complete rookie.

I think the decision you make when it comes to training all depends a bit on your expectations and how you're wired. Like some others have said, I'm more of a do-it-yourself kind of guy and I wanted the challenge. I reached a point where I was satisified and that point is different for all hunters/owners/trainers. Philosophically I believe that we all get 24 hours in a day and we can all only do so much. I enjoy fishing in the summers, so rather than taking the dog to the park or to the water to train further to get some of the finer points my lab misses, I take her as is and go wet a line. Some call it lazy; I call it a tradeoff.

My next dog? Well, I'm finally getting to a point where I could afford a trainer and I will probably entertain the idea. However, I will still be putting time in with the pup if only because there is great joy in taking part in it.

I don't think there's a wrong answer - just do what's right for you and your dog. And have fun!

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• leech~~
      I don't know, this save the plant thing looks like a money maker, for someone! 🫤 Where do you think electric prices are going to go when they have the monopoly for everything that moves! 🙄
    • leech~~
      Nice!   It would be great if they had some kind of brake, so you don't end up on your neighbors YouTube video going down the driveway! 😆
    • SkunkedAgain
      Last month I went searching online for a trailer jack with pneumatic tires. Instead I found the video below showing a relatively quick and easy upgrade to your existing jack:     It's worked pretty well. I definitely had to mess around with finding the right combination of spacers, washers, and locknut pressure that wouldn't bind up the wheels. However, it is a pretty sweet setup and allows me much better control. We live at the end of a half-alley. My garage faces the end so when I need to hook my boat up to the truck, I have to pull it out into my driveway and then swivel it 180 degrees to face towards the street. The handle is what really makes the difference and now the trailer jack wheels don't slide on the asphalt. Has anyone else done this conversion?
    • SkunkedAgain
      I've got a pile of crawlers ready to go - a nice side benefit of all the rain in the metro lately.   At the very least, I hope that the remaining trappers are making some better money off of the higher prices. I would think that it would be a great way for local kids to make some cash. I can see why it wouldn't make for a great way to make a living as an adult.
    • Kettle
      Went out yesterday with the sunshine. I did find crappies in the shallows on a darker stained lake with Temps at 58 degrees. They had no interest in my baits
    • gimruis
      That's part of it.  Several recent years of drought have definitely played a role.   There's other factors too.  MN does not allow importation of live bait from other states either.  That really affects the amount of golden shiners available, most of which are not trapped here.  In other words, demand exceeds supply.   Lots of bait trappers and dealers have simply hung it up in recent years.  Its hard work for not much money.  The two nearest me are both done as of last October.  They both told me its just not worth it anymore.  One of them had been there for 45 years.   My advice would be to learn how to effectively fish with artificial lures more often.  I've slowly weened myself off the use of live bait nowadays.
    • smurfy
    • leech~~
      Think the Free crawlers in the back yard are going to take a hit this summer! 🤭
    • jim curlee
      Correction, rainbow minnows are at least 75 cents each, and leeches are $60 per pound. lol 
    • leech~~
      Their coming! Was poking around southern center mn last Friday and found about 20 on a hill side, all to small to pick yet.  Spots on the GPS! 🤗

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.