• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

I like to change upy fish batter's now and then. Variety is good, except if your married!!🥴😉

• Wow, ❤ 1
  • Yayyyy 1

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders
5 hours ago, Wanderer said:

Haha!

Nope, just cut in pieces.

I've been doing nugget size walleye and crappies a lot more. My wife really likes them better that way too. 

• Thumbs Up 2

3 hours ago, rundrave said:

I have been crushing up a roll of ritz crackers adding some salt and pepper and doing the flour, egg dredge with ritz with good results pan frying.

I like Andys and shorelunch but sometimes in a pinch you need to improvise and Ritz has been a go to for me lately

I’ve done Ritz and Saltines before with decent results.  We like Zatarains and Shore Lunch beer batter and Oven Style in the air fryer too. I won’t do beer, or any other wet batter in the deep fryer though.  It’s sticks to the wire baskets too  much.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, leech~~ said:

I've been doing nugget size walleye and crappies a lot more. My wife really likes them better that way too. 

More crunch per inch! 😄

• l Love It 1

You guys might as well just deep fry some hot dogs with all the batter/breading that is on those things!  The taste of the actual fish is completely gone lol

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Yayyyy 1

i personally dont think thats all that much batter on those fish!!!!!!!!!!  Gim......what do you do??????

i stay away from any cracker breading or egg dip asi think it absorbs to much oil!!!!!! and definitely no panko. i stick to a basic breading, even just plain flour thats seasoned up!!!!!

1 hour ago, gimruis said:

You guys might as well just deep fry some hot dogs with all the batter/breading that is on those things!  The taste of the actual fish is completely gone lol

to each their own, I make blackened fish and even bake it sometimes just to switch it up but nothing wrong with pan fry or deep fry every now and then either

• Thumbs Up 2

6 minutes ago, rundrave said:

to each their own, I make blackened fish and even bake it sometimes just to switch it up but nothing wrong with pan fry or deep fry every now and then either

i never had blackened fish....baked yea.......i like to throw fish on a grill to!!!!!!!

can you explain this blackened fish thing???👍

2 hours ago, smurfy said:

i never had blackened fish....baked yea.......i like to throw fish on a grill to!!!!!!!

can you explain this blackened fish thing???👍

google it all kind of recipes but I like to do it that way for fish tacos:

brush the fillets with oil or butter that is melted and season with spices. I like paprika, oregano, garlic powder, salt, cumin and cayenne can really experiment with just about anything

get a cast iron skillet hot, add the fish and sear it. It will only take 2-3 minutes per side

pile on a tortilla with all the fixings and enjoy

• Thumbs Up 1
  • I Like it 1

3 hours ago, gimruis said:

There is no taste to walleye IMO! 😅  they need all the help they can get!

No worries ~ I’ve had LOTS of different fish prepared LOTS of different ways.  I change when I feel like it.

• Thumbs Up 3

Lately,  my favorite way to pan fry fish .... 60% Flower 40% corn meal.  With your favorite seasoning (Salt for me) .... Super crunchy but hardly any batter.   Good fish taste.    

• Thumbs Up 3

Cret brings up favorite fish seasonings. i got hooked on Alpine touch. its a montana based seasoning and i get it at  Runnings!!!!!! Alpine touch has a top notch lemon pepper also!!!!!! 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 1/6/2023 at 11:24 AM, Wanderer said:

There is no taste to walleye IMO! 😅  they need all the help they can get!

I often hear this from people who have difficulty catching walleye 😉

• Yayyyy 3

Yeah, blackened fish is good.  I've had cajun blackened red fish in Florida and it was fantastic.  Grilled or baked is my preference around here.  Fried or deep fried fish is nothing but breading or batter dipped in tarter sauce.  Barf.  Might as well just go to Long John Silvers lol

Edited by gimruis

5 hours ago, gimruis said:

Yeah, blackened fish is good.  I've had cajun blackened red fish in Florida and it was fantastic.  Grilled or baked is my preference around here.  Fried or deep fried fish is nothing but breading or batter dipped in tarter sauce.  Barf.  Might as well just go to Long John Silvers lol

doesnt Long John silvers serve muskie and bass?????🤭🤪

• Yayyyy 1

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Kettle said:

Made walleye ceviche, was really good 

That looks fantastic. But I thought it was never good to eat fresh water fish uncooked? Do you freeze it first or just let it  marinade longer than say a typical salt water version of  ceviche? Does the salt and acid kill everything so you don't get tape worms?

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Confused 1

🤔 never heard of that before?? 

You sure you weren't eating at the china buffet in rapids!🤣

• Yayyyy 2

Soaked in lime juice for 8 hours, fresh not frozen. Soaked the night before in ice water. Was really good. Kinda like pickling.

8 hours in lime juice, drained it, cut up red onion, cilantro, green chillies, tomatoes and threw in some olive oil and a tbsp of orange juice. I've done it with walleye, crappies and pike

• Thumbs Up 2

16 hours ago, rundrave said:

But I thought it was never good to eat fresh water fish uncooked? Do you freeze it first or just let it  marinade longer than say a typical salt water version of  ceviche? Does the salt and acid kill everything so you don't get tape worms?

Freezing and pickling are not kill steps.  They will and do not eliminate parasites, bacteria, tapeworms, etc.  The only step that ensures it is properly cooking to a minimum internal temperature for enough time.  That is why you see a consumer safety warning at the seafood and meat counter and on restaurant menus.

Its his fish, he can do whatever he wants to and prepare it however he wants to.  I've been sick from food borne illness before, and I prefer not to go back down that road, so my food gets cooked properly.

• Thumbs Up 2

pretty sure Kettle knows what he's doing.  and you can google it and find the story you want to believe. i've ate fish, fried ,baked, boiled, grilled, smoked and pickled......never had issues. and i've eaten a lot of fish in my lifetime. 99% of it from Minnesota lakes. i had sushy once it was ok......but not for me!!!!!

i've personally seen how these commercial fishermen take care of fish up in Canada..........yea i wouldnt buy or eat a fish in a restaurant!!!!!!!!  with the exception of salmon!

• Thumbs Up 2

There's a possibility to get sick, even if someone cooks chicken to a internal temp of 180 F there's still bacteria in it and on it, tested this in the microbiology lab in undergrad. 

For years I would drink 6 egg whites and a whole egg for breakfast never an issue, obviously store bought eggs. 

Everything we consume has bacteria on it, some with greater risk of illness than others. Bacteria is everywhere some good some bad.

So far after 4 days I'm feeling good, Sat morning slight headache but I did shoot some tequila 

• Thumbs Up 4

🥴 oh tequila, not sure if that was my worst ever hangover or if it was southern comfort!!😣

At least I can still look at and drink tequila, just not straight up!?👍

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Yayyyy 1

2 hours ago, Kettle said:

There's a possibility to get sick, even if someone cooks chicken to a internal temp of 180 F there's still bacteria in it and on it, tested this in the microbiology lab in undergrad. 

For years I would drink 6 egg whites and a whole egg for breakfast never an issue, obviously store bought eggs. 

Everything we consume has bacteria on it, some with greater risk of illness than others. Bacteria is everywhere some good some bad.

So far after 4 days I'm feeling good, Sat morning slight headache but I did shoot some tequila 

well said sir!!!  

• Thumbs Up 2

14 minutes ago, Kettle said:

There's no chance I could run for political office 😆

gosh.......and here i thought you were a straight up saint!!!!!!!!!🤪🤣🤗

• Yayyyy 2