• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

muzzleloader loads

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• TruthWalleyes

• Bambito

• huntnfish

• walleyewess

3 pellets behind a T-EZ. Sighted in to 300yds and ready for shotgun season!

Shoulder is sore after 12 rounds smirk

Blackhorn 209 powder really is as good as advertised. I buy the pistol bullets - 250 grain XTPs (.452) with crushed rib sabots. Buying separately and putting the bullet inside the sabot saves $.

I shoot an .50 Omega with a fairly tight bore so the black crushed rib or EZ glides load just right.

I used to use powerbelts and pellets but never again..

TC shockwave 250 with three pellets in my Optima. Never tried power belts, my buddies have tried some and were not impressed. We used to shoot XTP's, but the exit hole was ridiculously huge.

over 200 yards with a muzzleloader and no scope!!! LOL I don't think your muzzleloader is the only thing blowing smoke! I hate ppl who cant stand to tell the truth.

Have you tried shooting past 200 yards with this combination? I'm using 250 shockwave bullets with either 130 or 150 grains of pellets. I haven't shot with these bullets yet.

over 200 yards with a muzzleloader and no scope!!! LOL I don't think your muzzleloader is the only thing blowing smoke! I hate ppl who cant stand to tell the truth.
If your talking about me. I've got a 3x9x40 scope. WOuldn't shoot past 100yds without it.

I don't think he was talking about you. I would've called talk until this year helping a buddy sight in his Encore with a 3x9 on it. That thing is amazingly accurate! we didn't go beyond 150 yards but with a little practice I wouldn't hesitate at 300 on a standing deer. I've hunted with a muzzleloader quite a bit and my limit is about 75 yards. After that the deer gets pretty small and makes it hard to pick the spot you want to hit.

I have a Nikon 3X9 BDC on my CVA, and have shot two deer just beyond 200 yards. Previously, while shooting 200 grain shockwaves with 115 grains of loose powder, I was zero at 100 yards, and the second circle down at 200 yards. I plan on practicing out to 300 yards for this season. I hunt muzzleloader season in Nebraska.

No I'm not talking about you truth. If you scroll up this page a guy staes that he has shot deer over two hundred yards with no scope on a muzzleloader. Sorry but I strongly doubt that

I used to use a custom peep site with a very narrow front post which allows great target visibility. Add a rear site with yardage and I could easily see a200yd accurate shot. Don't have to doubt people all the time. Some folks have the equipment to get it done and yes there are also others who shouldn't be taking those shots... So be it

Are you shooting at an elephant or a 200 lb. deer. Truth have you ever seen a deer at 100 yds. And then 200 yds. How much smaller is that target that's an extra 100 yds. Away? Lol..... Oh and by the way, I shot a rabbit the other day with my .22 that was 2 1/2 miles away with no scope on my gun....do it all the time!

Oh and by the way, I shot a rabbit the other day with my .22 that was 2 1/2 miles away with no scope on my gun....do it all the time!

Now that's a heck of a shot! And apparently we can say B S on this site. It changes to talk. wow.

+ 1 on the barnes t-ez pushed by 100gr of 777 50/50. Ive got it sighted in at 2" high at 50 and ive taken 2 deer with them and both were 100 plus with open sights. these are deadly acurate and will reach out to 200 no problem with iron sights.

got my 1st deer with a smokepole this morning =D

dropped this guy in his tracks at 60yrds using a 295gr HP powerbelt behind 100grs of 777

1stwML8pt1110132.jpg

Are you shooting at an elephant or a 200 lb. deer. Truth have you ever seen a deer at 100 yds. And then 200 yds. How much smaller is that target that's an extra 100 yds. Away? Lol..... Oh and by the way, I shot a rabbit the other day with my .22 that was 2 1/2 miles away with no scope on my gun....do it all the time!

I'm shooting at the heart...on a deer.

had several bucks and does in the scope out to 250 yds this weekend.

all easy shots. deer didn't fit my criteria for shooting. I've got a great rangefinder. so yardages are accurate. people shoot prairie dogs at 400yds all the time.

great deer phil!!

Thanks bud,

esp for all the help u gave me with loads and bullets. i'll need your help again next yrs when i upgrade to that custom peep sight.

YES it was a heck of a rush/borderline heart attack tryin to figure out where the deer went after the smoke clears. it mustve been the fastest reload in my life. then when all was settled n the smoke cleard the deer was layin there nvr moved another inch. =D

after i chked and made sure it was dwn for good, i had to figure out where all my equipment was. the ramrod was stuck in the ground, quick fill tubes and other misc loading equipment was all over the place. lol

im not even sure if i ever want to go back to a reg gun anymore.

kinda thinking about shooting patchball next season. my other buds has one and man it that thing cool.

he got a kit and made sum very cool multi stain patterns on the stock

good luck everyone and be safe

Bambito,

People shoot matches at 1000 yards with iron and peep sight with 45/70 trapdoors shooting black powder or black powder equivalent loads. So yes with practice muzzleloaders can be used at great distance with open or peep sights. At my gun club some members shoot inlines off hand at 300 yards and hit a 8 inch iron disc on a chain with open sight and scopes That is definitely accurate enough for hunting whitetails.

Mwal

result at 150yds through two leg bones close to pelvis. done deal. looks just like the picture on the bullets box

full-26433-39154-camerazoom_201311162046

full-26433-39155-camerazoom_201311162045

They are fun to hunt with. Just wait until you're in a rush ad forget to put the powder in and just drive the bullet down. Makes for a tough follow up shot. Luckily, the one time I did that the follow up wasn't needed.

Hey, nice deer guys - congrats!

My scoped TC Pro Hunter is ready to go for the 3B opener this weekend. I ran the same round (Hornady FTX 250 grain, crush rib high pressure sabot, 2 white hot pellets) through my daughters Wolf .50 cal yesterday and am on par with the Pro Hunter at 50 yards with open sights. Should be the same at 100 but not as tight of group.

So I gets to thinkin' as I'm filling my speed loaders that I might as well take both guns to the stand for the quick second shot if there's another deer. Hey, great idea! Yeah, well, most of my 3B shots will be 50 or under so I guess I may as well bring the shotgun instead if I'm serious about a two gun sit. smirk Still want a longer range gun though.

I'm just a little hung up on the accuracy of the modern muzzle loader I guess. grin

Hey, nice deer guys - congrats!

My scoped TC Pro Hunter is ready to go for the 3B opener this weekend. I ran the same round (Hornady FTX 250 grain, crush rib high pressure sabot, 2 white hot pellets) through my daughters Wolf .50 cal yesterday and am on par with the Pro Hunter at 50 yards with open sights. Should be the same at 100 but not as tight of group.

So I gets to thinkin' as I'm filling my speed loaders that I might as well take both guns to the stand for the quick second shot if there's another deer. Hey, great idea! Yeah, well, most of my 3B shots will be 50 or under so I guess I may as well bring the shotgun instead if I'm serious about a two gun sit. smirk Still want a longer range gun though.

I'm just a little hung up on the accuracy of the modern muzzle loader I guess. grin

I shot nearly 30 bullets to be where i am this year with accuracy. You shoot once and are hung up on accuracy??? And you haven't even shot to the distances you plan on shooting to which is likely a hundred or better unless you've got a rangefinder to actually clue you in on distances.

Truth,

I'm actually partially through my second box of 50 bulk bullets. I never said how many I shot on Sunday, just that I used the same round that I'm already dialed in on with my gun.

Plus I'm not planning on taking 100 yard pokes with my daughter's open sight muzzle loader but wouldn't be afraid to. It's hitting the exact same at 50 as mine is with the exact same load. Any reason it should drop off more????

Oh, and yeah, I have a range finder and everything.... It's not my first rodeo.

Cool man, I should have left it alone. I was bugged quite agressively when stating my capability yardages with a scope. Good luck hunting. Dem guns are accurate.

I picked up some hornady FPB bullets. they say that they load easily but when I loaded it, it was not very easy to get started. I had to use my starter. Once in the barrel it slid down fairly easy. Now I'm still some what new to the muzzleloader world, is this something I should be concerned about? (I did not fire it yet, I just pushed it out the back)