• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders

Get ready the river is going back in its banks around here. If we do not get a lot of rain from to night the river will be the place to be. Remember to wear bug spray and bring lots of jigs.

No they will carry you away with it. I might go down there if I can dig out my winter coat and bibs seeing it will be cooler today.

Let us know how you do! And what stretch of river if you wouldn't mind would be nice to know. Good luck if you get out there!

I caught 2 smallies nothing over 13 had a pike follow my spinner bait in a few time. I fished a few spots from Princeton east to Hwy 47

• 3 weeks later...

Went to the park in town and tossed out a crawler for about an hour and I notice a light tap I grabbed the rod and nothing I reeled in my line and had 2 crayfish on my crawler. I tried for a another hour and nothing, so I called it a day. The river is still kind of muddy, but I did see a few carp rolling on the surface.

Went to the park in town and tossed out a crawler for about an hour and I notice a light tap I grabbed the rod and nothing I reeled in my line and had 2 crayfish on my crawler. I tried for a another hour and nothing, so I called it a day. The river is still kind of muddy, but I did see a few carp rolling on the surface.

The river level is down to at least fishable though, that is a good sign, now if we can just hold off any rain coming for awhile

I had the canoe out on the Rum for the first time Thursday evening. Water level is still making fishing difficult (4.87 on DNR gauge Thursday), too many places for the fish to hide still. Water clarity is also poor. I have been keeping an eye on the gauges ( Rum River Water Level Viking Bridge). I seem to have the best luck when it is between 3 and 4 feet, so we are getting close to what I consider a good summer level. Now if the water would just clear up.

Ended up with one 4 lb northern pike that hit a shallow running square bill Rapala.

-Joe

At this time if your looking for walleyes and smallmouth bass the rum river is the place to be. The key in finding the walleyes is finding the little deeper holes. The smallies are in current breaks and the deeper holes as well. The carp, suckers, and redhorses are in these same location crawlers will catch all the of mentioned so far. The top water bite for smallies should have started or be starting shortly. Jigs are great for smallies and walleyes. Northern pike are hitting most lures it is not a bad idea to run a leader while fishing the rum to prevent bite off. The section of the rum I fish is from Milaca to Cambridge. Please use caution if your running a boat on the rum it changes depth very fast and them trees just under the water like props. Float tubes work pretty good but make sure to have some one pick up or leave a truck down river of where you went in. Bring lots of bug spray because you will need it. Try and practice selective harvest if you would be so kind.

The Rum looked really high over by Cambridge yesterday, but in Princeton it does not look as high. Water is still pretty muddy from the last rains once that clears up the fishing will pick up again.

• 2 weeks later...

I got out on the Rum yesterday with little luck. It is a little higher than I like it for the fish to be in the holes.(North of Cambridge). I did pick up two nice bass but nothing in any of the holes. Tried rapalas and both jigs and lindy rigs with night crawler. Even tried a leech on a jig. I did think I had one walleye bite but lost it before it took my bait. I'm also curious about landings south of Cambridge and between Cambridge and the Lake George landing. Are they easy to get on? Navigable in those areas? Any luck shore fishing from those spots? Thanks.

Yeah I might not fish down river of cambridge for a while

Think it all washed away yet

Not sure what information the comment was based on but I was told it would take 6 days to get past Isanti. We're well past that but I've seen much less traffic in our area for people actually getting on the river.

I was on it by my house last night and things seemed normal - smell wise. I'm actually more concerned about the lasting effects of the trash the tubers are leaving behind. I pulled a deflated raft out of one snag and some booze bottles out of another.

Man, I hope it doesn't go the way of the Apple River...

How much urine do you think gets added on a hot summer weekend from that? wink

I have an idea cuz we've tubed it several times.

I was not worried just trying to find out what anyone has heard.

Just for you I will send down a babyruth

I sent it down river around 7 this morning I hope you found it

Nah, never saw it. Had to rob a chocolate donut from my boat mate when he wasn't looking instead.

Pike and a few bass today. A little on the light side for numbers but a very fine day overall. Nice to spend a good 10 hour day out there with a friend and no time pressure.

Sounds like a fun day

• 2 weeks later...

They are catching walleyes on the rum river rate in town at the park. Where the east branch and west branch come together. What I heard is working is floating jig heads with a leech or minnow. Some are coming off crawlers off the bottom as well.

• 2 weeks later...

Well I went and looked at the rum river today and well it is flooded. There is a dog park on the east of the rum river in Princeton and the water is well into the dog park. So much for some fall walleyes out of the rum for now. If it keeps raining like this the ducks will so much area to hide.

The water was already a little bit higher than I like to see it for September, now another flood. frown Bummer

It happens and there's not much we can do, just a lost year I guess.