• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Team #7 "GOBBLE KINGS" Official Site

hugonian1

Hey sniper Congrats on the Tom nice looking bird and that is a tight pattern your gun shoots. grin

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• hugonian1

• Archerysniper

• 123fish

• DonBo

Gordie it throws a pattern the size of a small basket ball at 45 yards and good to 60 wink

It looks like 123fish is up next for the Gobble Kings.

Good luck with your hunt.

I will be heading over to Sconny Thursday afternoon staying until Sunday afternoon.

Hoping featherslayer scored during his season.

Getting ready to head out. Thinking I'm going to make a turkey out of the snow we have here. They say you should mix things up. I'm thinking an albino hen decoy should do the trick!

Score! Used the regular decoys and had a nice two year old taking a snow nap by 6:40 this morning. Vitals are: 21 lbs. 10oz., 9.25" beard, and 7/8" spurs. Story and pics to follow.

Way to go 123fish.

Sounds like a great bird.

Good to get this done before the storm hits.

I can't wait to see the pics and hear the story.

O.K. here's the story. Went to a public area I've never hunted before. This was my number two spot as I was saving my number one spot for later this week when it was supposed to be nicer. During scouting this spot I saw one hen track and a piece of gobbler poo. So I set up on the edge of some trees and a food plot. Don't hear anything at all at first light which was no surprise as the weather was cold,gray, and breezy. Around 6:30 the wind was kicking up and threatning to blow my blind over so I started to stake it down from the inside and was rustling around when I thought I possibly had heard a gobble. I had called on the slate at 6:00 and nothing and thought I should probably hit the Heartbreaker box call because of the wind and did that at probably around 6:25 and it was shortly after that when I thought possibly I heard a gobble. I was watching the direction from which I thought I head heard the gobble when through the trees I could see a black blob that I couldn't remember seeing before. I'm thinking this has to be a strutting gobbler but I'm not sure because of the trees. Pretty soon I see the blob downsize and stay put. I get my gun through the window and wait. He's at about 80 yards and staying put. He takes a few steps my way and I grab the slate and give him a couple of soft yelps. That gets him coming again slowly and my heart to start beating faster. The closer he gets the faster he comes. My heart is going pretty good now and I'm telling myself "keep your head down, keep your head down on that stock". He is definitely heading for my jake and in strut and 27 yards out when I give him a No.5 lead headache and he takes the permanent snow nap. Awesome! Just in time as they are predicting another three to six inches of snow for us today and it is snowing heavily right now. I'll get some pics and submit the form in the near future.

You guys are putting the pressure on me now.

3 hunts, around 4 total hours of hunting, and 3 nice Tom's down. smile

Talk about efficiency.

It must be all the scouting and preparation. grin

Curious how featherslayer,s hunt went?

I'm here, alittle fustrated with myself. You guys got some nice birds, way to go wish i could of got the one I was watching opening morning instead of the one i ended up with. Heres the story: I had birds gobbling 10 minutes before lite and I was right in close say maybe 50 yards. after lite when i started to call the morning lite up with toms all around me and the hens was right in there too. To make a long story short the birds started to get closer and closer and i still couldnt see any because of the thick pines and such. I finally seen a sring of hens to my right and as i was watching them file by i seen the tom i wanted, right beforew he went behind the brush he standing there strutting for a minute or so but then headed behind cover where i couldnt see anything. There was one spot I could see thru like a 2" spot where the hens was walking thru so i just waited for him to come in the opening. It seamed like for ever but when the bird come to that spot he went right into a full strut, 1/4 away slightly, full tail so I figured it was him so when he come out of strut down he went. It was only 25 minutes into opening morning and I was feeling great until i walked over and picked him up, He only had a 5.5 " but was a hefty bird. You ever get that feeling of dissapointment rush over you, well i did that morning.Dont get me wrong i had a fantastic hunt but I just wish i could of helped the team out better. The way its going up north here it sounds like I did pretty good with the way the wheather was. I told my buddies well i guess you cant always judge something by the tail cause you might be dissapointed with whats on the chest. Heres the picture of the bird. The only thing i can think of is that when he went behind the cover and i was watching that little 2" opening he went into strut again and this bird moved in.full-31865-32401-2012fishing060.jpg

Heresto the one that will be bigger next year

Nothing wrong with that bird featherslayer.

Congrats.

Jack set the bar pretty high for us. smile

That is 4 for 4 for the Gobble Kings. smile

Way to go.

Beard length has very little to do with how nice a tom is. (my Dad's yesterday, 24+ lbs, 1 1/2" hooks, beard was only 2" long. Spur length is the only way to determine how old a bird is.

How much did that bad boy weigh? How long were the spurs? Looks like a pretty nice one to me.

Way to go featherslayer!. Nothing wrong with that bird at all. He looks pretty hefty. Go Gobble Kings!

I will be heading over Sconny tomorrow afternoon and get set up.

Ellsworth Rod & Gun chicken feed for dinner- it doesn't get much better than that.

Hunt Friday thru Sunday.

This will be my 3rd time over there and have yet to score a bird.

Hopefully I can add to the Gobble King's bounty. grin

Congrat's on a awesome bird featherslayer,those beards can rot off or with just all the ice through the winter they can break them off.

Go get them hugonian,no pressure but we are 4 for 4 so far eekwink

I will be heading over Sconny tomorrow afternoon and get set up.

Ellsworth Rod & Gun chicken feed for dinner- it doesn't get much better than that.

Hunt Friday thru Sunday.

This will be my 3rd time over there and have yet to score a bird.

Hopefully I can add to the Gobble King's bounty. grin

Well how did the scouting and blind setting go today?

Our unofficial score so far

Archerysniper 51.5

123fish 58.875

Jackson 63.75

Featherslayer ?

Without Featherslayer we have a unofficial score of 174.125

We are sitting good,Feather slayer and I just need to officially submit our birds

Thought i would share this with you guys. This is my daughter and she lives in the state of Washington. Just to let everybody know she called this bird in by herself and she was hunting alone. I'm hoping to go out there next spring and try for one of them.full-31865-32553-turkey13027.jpg

Very nice. She looks like she could guide for you featherslayer. Her nail polish goes nicely with the colors on that gobbler. Congrats to her, you obviously brought her up well.

It's awesome that your daughter is out getting it done by herself and a great bird

Well guys, I did not get a bird in Wisconsin.

Lots of gobbling in the mornings.

Saw many hens and could have taken jakes but I was holding out for a long beard. Never saw one on the property we were hunting.

We always have a great time over there. We stay with some great people who have taken us under their wing.

Now to get set up for the Minnesota D season.

My buddy that I let hunt my property could only get out on Friday. Shot a tom at 6:00 A.M. Go figure.

Things should be settled down by Thursday.

Hopefully I can get it done and add to the Gobble Kings bounty.

Set the blind up this evening.

Had 3 jakes out in the field.

I will have to dance around work Thursday and Friday but will get out in the mornings.

I might be nuts but I am kinda looking forward to the colder weather. crazy

Hopefully the rain is not of the all day variety.

Good luck tomorrow hugonian. We are depending on you. Bring your snowshoes!

Yea, I might need it. shocked

Although, I just watched a group of 6 jakes push a nice long beard around out my kitchen window. They are playing cat and mouse with each other.

The rain doesn't seem to be bothering them.

Looks like some territory wars are going on.

Hope the tom prevails. smile

There sure are a lot of jakes around me this year though.