• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Running 2 different brand depth finders in same boat?

blue21

Question

Has anyone had any issues running 2 different brand depth finders on the same boat? I plan on mounting both transducers on the back of the boat on opposite sides. Has anyone tried this or have any reccomendations to follow?

4 answers to this question

I could not run my Vex and Humminbird at the same time. The Vex would mess the Bird up. (Older Bird.)

Putting both transducers on the transom is going to be trouble if both units are opperating at the same frequency. You will get interference in anything over a couple feet of water. It has nothing to do with different brands, it's all about the frequency.

On my 20' boat, if I am running the bow unit (goes thru the trolling motor) and the console unit (transducer on transom) I get interference when deeper than about 20'.

You can change your ping speeds and that may help, but if you really need to run two sonars and don't want to put the boat length between them, you are better off with sonar units that can be linked together and share one transducer.

Garmin, Lowrance and Humminbird all use 200 kHz transducers for standard sonar. So using two transducers on the same boat, no matter what brand, can cause interference. It will look like rain on the screen, so it's easy to tell what it is.

The sonar beam is a cone that gets larger in diameter as it gets farther from the transducer (deeper water). So the distance between transducers makes a difference. You won't get interference until you get deep enough for the two cones to overlap.

All the units I've owned have had an adjustment to filter out the interference. If you crank the filtering up and down while running across the same structure a few times you can get an idea of what it's filtering out and if you're losing some detail of the bottom.

I run a Garmin 250 and a HB 898csi off the transom, sometimes with both on standard sonar at the same time. The interference is a little annoying, but not a deal breaker. Usually I run the HB on split screen with the map and side imaging views; sometimes full screen side imaging; sometimes standard sonar in zoom mode. Works for me.

Reading this might help:

http://www.biggeorgiaspots.com/boats-and-electronics/aaargh-sonar-noise.html

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Answer this question...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• Wanderer
    • smurfy
      🤣 must be a crappy lake to fish if he's using the bottom end of the Alphabet!!!!!!! 🙄
    • LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...   The great walleye bite continues.  Big numbers of walleyes and saugers are staged over deep mud, a common and consistent late summer pattern on Lake of the Woods. The deep mud bite is in 28 - 35 feet of water.  Anglers are catching good numbers of fish on the mud using mainly two different techniques. Most anglers are using spinners and crawlers.   A two hook crawler harness with a spinner blade colored in gold, gold / pink, pink, orange, glow red, glow white, or a combo of these colors.     Drift or troll at 1 - 1.25 mph with a 2 - 3 ounce weight or bottom bouncer, a 2 hook crawler harness and a juicy crawler.  This presentation covers water, puts your offering in front of numbers of fish and a combo of the flash, vibration and scent of the crawler are hard to pass by for a walleye or sauger. Trolling crankbaits is catching a lot of fish as well.  With so many walleyes spread out over the miles and miles of mud over Big Traverse Bay, covering water is a good strategy.  Strategically placing your lure in front of thousands of walleyes is effective.  The chess game is what speed, what shape, what wobble, rattle or no rattle, in front of them or above them.     Common crankbait colors are gold, blue / chrome, firetiger, pink UV firetiger, chartreuse and orange.   Anchoring up over schools of walleyes and saugers jigging with a frozen emerald shiner is still catching fish.  Often, anchoring or spot locking with a jig around rocks or structure works well.  When there are walleyes concentrated over mud, jigging can be effective there as well. On the Rainy River...  The slow summer flow of water on the Rainy River continues is great for fishing.  A variety of species are being caught on the river.   Sturgeon anglers are reporting good summer fishing.  Set up in a hole of the river or the sloping bank from the hole to a flat and soak some crawlers or frozen emerald shiners (or both).     A flat no roll sinker, sturgeon rig (18 inches of 60 lb test with a circle hook) with a glob of crawlers or combo of crawlers and shiners are catching fish.  Evenings have been especially good.  Many enjoy the peace and relaxation of the river in the summer. Walleye anglers are trolling spinners / crawlers or crankbaits upstream covering water.  If you find a school of walleyes, anchoring or spot locking with a jig and minnow will be effective.   Smallmouth bass can be found near the rocky areas, current breaks, bridges with associated rip rap are all go to areas.   Up at the NW Angle...  Walleye fishing continues to be consistent.  Some fish are on structure.  Points, sunken islands, saddles, and neck down areas with current are just a few ideas.  With 14,552 islands, there is a lot of structure!     Other fish are sliding out to mud flats.  Here, pulling spinners and crawlers to cover water works well.  Lots of ways to get it done.    A mixed bag is common in the northern portion of the lake.  In addition to walleyes and saugers, perch, crappies, pike, bass and even muskies are consistently caught while targeting walleyes.    
    • leech~~
    • ozzie
      Have been getting out on the Mississippi a few times exploring the area...found a few smallies here and there but the big cats that we were finding last year are just not being located...yet!  Also have been hitting the rum and finding a mixed bag of fish each time out.  Good luck
    • smurfy
    • smurfy
      If it's anything like the young loon population,  there are none that I've seen. I've  read the sudden rise in water levels drowned out the loon nests . I haven't seen a young loon all year yet up north. And I've been on 10 different lakes.
    • Kettle
      Seeing good numbers here in Northern MN. Lots of ducklings and goslings this spring 
    • Wanderer
      I’ve seen some disappointingly small flocks of ducklings this summer so far.  Plus anything in size from just getting able to fly to a little yellow and black striped one yesterday.   Makes me wonder if it was a bad nesting year with all the rain?     I haven’t been seeing family groups on random small ponds (unusual) but when in the duck factory, seeing the lack of young birds, I’m a little concerned.
    • Wanderer

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.