• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

New Regs

GravelBar

Want to get rid of a portion of the problem? Make it a complete C&R fishery for a few years. You said it yourself....

Quote:
If u don't get rid of portions of the problem how will there ever be a solution?

just curious

how many folks would actually keep 6 smallies and

how many actually eat bass ??/

all though they probably arnt much worse the sickly 19 inch walleyes.....lol

out of all the smallmouth bass i have caught, NONE of them have been sickly like so many of the walleyes. since the smallmouths have taken over some of the spots that i use to catch mostly walleye on, i will be keeping them for the frypan. when guests come up to the lake, they want to have a fishfry, the smallmouths will fill that void quite well. 6, 14 - 16 inch smallmouths will feed a few more people that 2, 18 - 20 inch walleyes. when is bass opener this year????

I don't live on the lake, but we visit and fish and will continue to do so. I think the point to make is you are still fishing the same year class. Fish that were 16-17 (those hard to catch ones supposedly) will now be in that slot. I'm sure they thought about that and that was part of the reason they went with that slot. I would think keepers will still be tough (again by your definitions) to come by. We had no problems catching lots of keepers between 15-17 last year. Regardless, the fishing at Mille Lacs is world class. As someone that comes from out of state you guys Are spoiled. There are very few fisheries that you can go out an easily catch 50 fish a day. I do see the issues and yes there is a problem, but you still have an amazing fishery!

Walleye bill : totally agree it is a great fishery, however based on current conditions, of which there are many, steps must be taken so that 5-10 years from now your statement will still be valid. Lets just hope the changes are implemented in time. Glad to hear you enjoy your trips to our great State.

I don't live on the lake, but we visit and fish and will continue to do so. I think the point to make is you are still fishing the same year class. Fish that were 16-17 (those hard to catch ones supposedly) will now be in that slot. I'm sure they thought about that and that was part of the reason they went with that slot. I would think keepers will still be tough (again by your definitions) to come by. We had no problems catching lots of keepers between 15-17 last year. Regardless, the fishing at Mille Lacs is world class. As someone that comes from out of state you guys Are spoiled. There are very few fisheries that you can go out an easily catch 50 fish a day. I do see the issues and yes there is a problem, but you still have an amazing fishery!

not sure about being spoiled but i do know I love where I live 410 lakes in crow wing county and i dont mean swamps...lol

I can have boat in at 10-15 great fishies in 45 mins some with in 15

5 mins to gull and if the water is high enough 3 mins to north long lol

any way thats not why you called...lol

as far as 50 fish a day the reason that is going on over there is the fact that the lake is so outa balance wallleyes as a rule dont bite like that

and years when the lake was in good shape you could go home empty handed

as in any other lake

And you right ML'S is a great(was) fishery it no longer is and will continue to great worse untill the nets come out

You cant manage it for Walleye, Smallies, Musky and so on. Then top it off with gill nets while the walleye are spawning and you have a disaster waiting to happen. It just cant support all those fisheries. Personally I am done with the big pond though I dearly love it. Too many other good walleye lakes in the state to fish

The Red Lake band suspends activity during the spawn....is the Mille lacs band not listening, or being informed?

The Red Lake band suspends activity during the spawn....is the Mille lacs band not listening, or being informed?

They don't net during the spawn on Winnie or Leech either... Its easy pickings on Mille Lacs for them and frankly I doubt they really care. Remember they cut there quota in "half" but cutting there quota in "half" is nearly the same amount of walleyes they netted last year.... How nice of them!

The bulk of the netting is from the Wisconsin bands. They don't care. They come, net and leave. Look at the history of what they did to the lakes they live by. 1 fish limits closed seasons due to netting.

You know i really find it amazing that we all have not learned from what happened in Wisconsin with the native american spearing, netting, etc...

I have lived in MN for 26 years now and saw first hand what happened to the lakes in Northern WI. Its terrible!

Bottom line, get use to it ladies and gentlemen. We let what happened to Mille Lacs. It could have been stopped long ago. The demise of this great lake and fishery started as soon as MN gave the tribes the "green light" to spear/net the lake.

Dont get me wrong, Mille Lacs is still a great fishery....but it will never, ever be what it once was. Kinda sad.

Gizmo and Walleye, you guys got my vote! Some people just want to bury their heads in the sand and pretend it aint so. The real tragedy is there aint a [Note From Admin: Please read forum policy before posting again. Thank you.] thing any of us can do about it.

[Note From Admin: Please read forum policy before posting again. Thank you.]