• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

You're Next

kelly-p

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• bturck

• shaky legs2

• Threedogs

• Living_The_Dream

Shaky, kissed and released. Thank you Mr. Crappie for the memories it's been a long since the last URL monster crappie.

Thanks bturck....

Bill, don't go paranoid on me. grin It sounds like we are going to be dealing with some snow this week. Kip will need his mukluks, you will have all your reels spooled, and I will bring an extra bucket for Doc. mad Let's hope Kelly and Jonny can keep the plows operating for one more week. I'm sure they will be glad when the season ends and they can get some well-deserved rest.

Are you kidding me!!!! shocked. 10 minutes after I caught my crappie guess who catches her 1st URL crappie, no 15" but you should see the smile on her face...priceless

Don't know why the picture is upside down, I will figure it out later. Bobbers are going down rattle reels going crazy fish on!

full-39212-30232-image.jpg

Yes I'll bet they will be happy to see it end. Can't imagine the hours they put in so we can enjoy their piece of heaven. Greatly appreciated for sure

I'm sure they will be glad when the season ends and they can get some well-deserved rest.

No way! Only thing that will change for me is the plow trucks get parked and the snomobiles go out these perch have my attention....although it will be nice to not be king toilet bag for awhile. laugh

Well, you and Kelly work your arses off keeping folks safe and on fish. And for that we thank you guys ( and Patsy too of course!!)

We r snugged up in the new house, just missed one on the rattle reel ( da m) We appreciate the attention you give to your customers to keep us safe and on fish!!

PS. I still can't believe those two donkeys in the white truck/sleeper They will be there til spring breakup!! grin

PSS. LTV and daughter, nice crappies!! Hope one bites Dylan's line tonight!!

Yes when I got to them though's yahoos said were fine? Just digging out a spot for the wheeel house closer to the road.

I'm heading out in a little bit to see just how ugly it is going to get and if those two took any advice at all. Really started snowing hard about about five minutes (5:55AM) ago with big fluffy flakes that really like to fly...sideways.

Nice crappie young lady. I think dad is pretty proud of your fishing ability. I beieve I know your secret too; all those snacks and the donut box on the cooler behind you, that needed energy boost....... laughlaugh

Another week Jonny and you will have the world to yourself out there. Has to be like a vacation for you. They are forecasting some snow again for you guys, sure that makes your day.......have a good one

What a weekend!!! All seems right with the world again!

I got to hang out with my good buddy Scott-Z, Shay and his buddy Jeremy as we do every Pres. day weekend, grilling food, hanging out in the warm Feb sun watching tip ups!

Kelly came by several times to have few good hard laughs. Patsy came by too, to do the same (your nose looks MARVELOUS by the way! :D) Traveler was set up by us and we had a couple good visits.

Old friends whom I haven't seen in years were up and we certainly gained some of that lost time back! Hastings gal was up with her son Justin and showed all us fisherMAN how to get it done... thanks for the help during dead truck time and watch out! Ryan will most certainly muscle you out of the family and take your spot in the sibling rotation to go fishing with your Dad! Met Goose as soon as we got on the lake, Bryce was up along with Hunter2, and all their wives. We all met up at Westewinds to toast Brother Gooses birthday! Buddy Hillman was there and we laughed for a good solid hour! The gals from Westwinds were as friendly and funny as ever... Kevin still remembers my beer of choice and has one waiting for me by the time I sit down! Fantastic!

And then all the new friends made. The absolute best part of being on Red Lake! Threedogs... great to meet you! Good thing propane is cheap! laugh eh? Put a barn door on that house and I promise to close it next time! Living the dream, great metting you! Your daughter seems like a special young lady! What a great way for Dad to share time with her... now... she does need to keep working with you. BUT, There is hope! Remember, You can't cast in a fish house! the Vexilar is not a toy, up is down and down is up... I'm bring up some marking paint so she can draw arrows on the ice for you so you can get the in and out of the house and to the truck without getting turned around and which direction shore is... she'll get yout to be a red Laker before you know it!

X-plorer.. great meeting you and Dylan. Fine young man. Hope the snow God's hit all your trails... (and not Red! UGGGH) hope he got his first crappie, if not, just a good warm fuzzy feeling he's schooling Dad in the art of fishing! Who else am I missing? Sheesh! It was just house hopping all weekend! but that is why I keep going back!!!

then the truck broke down... I slipped on the ice cranking up the house and had a choice of taking the spinning winch handle to the face or knuckles... not sure it was the right choice! Patsy showed me how nicely a wound to the face heals... my hands ache! My face could most certainly use a little work done to it...

But the breakdown gave me time to have a good chat with Jonny and see Jim! Always a positive coming out of a negative. We laughed the whole time we were hunkered down in his garage. Ryan was back in Hastings Gals house worming his way into the family eating home made carmel rolls and setting up atrip for some LOW down rigging this summer! Not bad for a guy hunkered down in bed all day Saturday with what we are now calling the flu....

Got to have a little fun with Fred as I was saying good bye to Kelly... I think he's taking a shining to me! Problem is he is as big as me! HA

The winds were starting up and a stray flake or two were making their presence as we pulled out of town... I hope nature gives you a break and goes easy on ya for the last week.

Let me know when to bring the sled up Jonny and we'll chase down some fish!

All in all a successful, full weekend of time on URL! Loved every second of it! And look forward to the scene playing out again and again... The wheels are back on the tracks and all is right in the world! If Johnny Cash was still around, he'd need to write us a jingle!

Good Luck!

Ken

I have a new idea for you with the crazy's that like to shovel! Just rent them a snowblower! They work great! Not quite like a v plow, but it has made things easier once in awhile.

We had a good time this weekend and fishing was good enough to keep everyone smiling! Even the youngest! Friday was best...then it was dead Sat. (Movie time helped out!) Sunday it seemed to be improving, even with the wind! We finished out our limit, C&R'd a few and said it was time to go. Also had a few perch but no crappie.

Hey I caught a sheephead a little before midnight friday night....not sure what that is a sign of??? Sure put up a good fight though....I was thinking here is my big walleye for the year and then....oh darn. Kelly is also known for great fish ID!

Wanted to say Good bye but you were rescuing trucks when we left so - Thanks for good roads and fish tips this year and take care until we see you again. My wife wants to book a summer trip with you so she can catch a big pike.....I have failed to land on them so far so the pressure is on!!! We will be in touch!!!

Quote:
Hey I caught a sheephead a little before midnight friday night....not sure what that is a sign of??? Sure put up a good fight though.

I can only imagine what a fight a sheepshead puts up through the ice. There was a guy that fished sheepshead in the Tamarac River a lot. He would find them by drifting downstream with his ear to the bottom of his aluminum boat. He said that they grunt when they feed.

Ok made it home safe after a snowy drive fom Waskish to Grand Rapids shocked the rest of the drive to cities was dry. Another great weekend up on the "lake". It was good to meet Labs, by the way I was getting pretty good at casting from the bed in the fish house, only lost 1 rattlin flyer out the window (I have to remember to close all windows before I starting casting from the bed). And I think I'm going to have Kelly or Jonny paint glow in the dark arrows on the fish house floor. Try to remember when it is dark in house, 2 steps straight then left turn to door, 3 steps straight ahead stove, NO right turns in the house because of water on that side.

Bturck, my daughter says thanks for the comment. Traveler, it was good to see you once again. Hope you have fun in the in sun in Mexico.

To the fishing report - 2 days of fishing we caught 36 walleyes, 7 slot fish (21-24"), 1 small pike, and 2 crappies, and to many perch to count. 90% of the fish caught dead sticking, glow red gem-n-eye. The walleyes I caught were on glow red rattlin flyer during the dark hrs and perch colored during the daylight hrs.

I felt pretty lucky to have my 15 year old daughter wanting to spend the weekend with me in a fish house fishing, when she was asked by her other friends to go to the movies and the mall. On the way home she asking when the next ice fishing trip was going to be, I think I have her hooked guys grin what a great way to end my ice fishing season.

It is hard to believe that it was over 2 months ago that I drove around that pile of ice with Scott-z following to watch over me in case I got into trouble as I searched for a way to get around the pressure ridges. Now how many fishermen have driven by it? How many times has a picture of it been taken? How many fishermen full of hope drove past it on the way out onto the lake? How many happy fishermen drove back past it on their way back home? I think Explorer was the first customer we had that drove past it and every one since then has also. In our lifetimes will we ever find another walleye bite that good and long lasting? I have never seen a bite like that before. In the future will we look back at driving around the "ice mountain" during the season of 12/13 the way we look back at the crappie boom now?

Yup, Dylan and I went out around that ice pile on 12/26 at 11am, and headed back in around it (chased by Mother Nature) yesterday at 9:30am!

That first trip out I texted a pic to my wife, and she said it looked like we were on the moon grin

Wow, what a weekend! Hearty thanks go out to Kelly, Jon, Patsy and Fred for another fun and safe stay! Traveler and Labs, it was great to meet you and finally put a face to the names, hope to see you guys up on the lake again next year!

We had a nice fishfry sunday night, and brought back another meal of 14-17.5" eyes and a 11" perch that will be tonights dinner for the family!

The trip home yesterday was a mix of snow and wind and then freezing rain and then dry roads by home. After unpacking, cleaning fish, and finishing up homework with Dylan I was thru for the day. I sure wish I could have a satelite feed over Red this morning. My back and arms ache just thinking about the guys in the white pickup trying to get out crazywink

Good luck to all of you heading up later this week and weekend to close out the walleye season, I'm sure you'll keep us entertained grin

It was reminiscent of the pressure ridge crappie bite. Mentioned that to Doc on our first trip. Thank you Kelly and Jonny for a memorable season. Weather permitting we will be up there to put a cap on a great season.

Hey shaky, we are heading up tommorow, will be on the lake Thurs. AM. Are you and doc still planning to arrive Fri.? One last 3-day stint, hope to see you guys there. Btruck, you still on?

Quote:
(chased by Mother Nature) yesterday at 9:30am!

The side road where you and Dylan were fishing at first before we moved you and the house's out now has drifts 4 feet high across it. You got off the lake just in time. Within an hour it was real ugly out there. The 3 wheelhouse's along that road were off right behind you which was great of them so that road didn't have any bad ruts in it to drift in and we were open it up enough to get through this last weekend.

Quote:
My back and arms ache just thinking about the guys in the white pickup trying to get out

Got to give those guys credit they got themselves out of there. It took them a long time but they did it. I have no idea how many miles they took off their truck but I sure wouldn't want to buy it. They thanked me for caring about them but I still told them that I thought they were nuts.

That's probably what shaky and Doc were like in their younger years. grin

Kipper, the plan is to be up Thursday around noonish. Just had a call from shaky his plan is around noon on Friday. Guess we'll have to play it by ear a lillte bit and see what this new front brings. This last two weeks have been brutal especially for the guys trying to keep everything open out there. I guess it's up to mama nature at this point

Well it was a great weekend - So Good to be back up there. Justin and I had a wonderful trip with Kelly, Patsy and John, when we got there we were led out to a big 5 man house I thought to myself this is a little overkill for just the two of us. In hindsite it was a good thing that it was that big for the company we had..... Labs and Ryan showed up Friday evening to find out how we were doing fishing (Well of course) I asked them a question on how to run the Vexlar I borrowed for Justin to use for the weekend (I will stick with my Marcum TY). Ryan was trying his darndest to catch the fish that were on the flasher - his attempts were not rewarded. Within 5 minutes of them leaving Justin caught said fish - It was a Crappie not a big slabber but a crappie none the less. We had a fish fry on Saturday at noon - It was great. Took what we couldnt eat over to Labs, Ryan and Scott Z, Justin was all excited to chase tip ups with them but that didnt work out so back to the house where the fish were biting. Did go into Westwinds for Goose's Bday, did alot of catching up with old friends was a good time. Sunday morning my dad was down from Baudette to fish with us, Labs and Ryan stopped by to say farewells, within 20 Min I look out window see Labs walking down road back to shack it Ryan limping on crutches behind. They do make cell phones..The triangle was working hard on Labs. The IBOT Blood is still there let Ryan fish while I was helping Labs, he dumped in the magic juice that was to help - didnt work needed to be towed - I was the safety crew (followed behind). All in all it was only like 3 hours but in that time Labs friend Ryan enjoyed my dads company so much that when I got back he informed me I wouldnt be going up to my dads this summer He was gonna take my spot! That will not be happening no one will take my spot however the boat is big enough that you may be able to ride with on one of my many trips. Someone will have to teach you how to downrig right! Was planning on extending our stay thru Monday night but mother nature decided against me. Oh well Next year there will be two long weekend trips planned with Kelly, Patsy and John, they work so hard doing what they do and I appreciate that. They are the best! We caught well over 200 fish Friday 2:00 - Monday 9:00am. Largest was 24" walleye smallest was about 4" perch. (there was a northern caught while I was on my safety mission) Best presentation was Deadstick red hook with rubber bead - small minnow. Justin says he out fished me cause he caught the 2 crappies! Am looking forward to next year already. Thank you again.