• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Curious about the future of the Sartell Dam...

Stick in Mud

I get between 2-5 a year on the river while fishing for bass or walleyes. Most have been smaller 20-24in and a few have been decent 28-mid 30s but have only got one that was over 40. Have seen a few beasts and have heard of a few others, but unless it's a credible source or you see it for your self.... well one just never knows about fishin' stories.

EG is right that AIM was looking to acquire the dam and had to go through a quick FERC review process which includes comments by DNR. Future plans are unknown, however with the potential "green energy" resource there, it's not likely that anyone would wipe all the infrastructure and start from scratch.

On the rock west side. Sometimes there are choices that have to be made with respect to protection of banks, unfortunately DNR hands were relatively tied on what types of materials to use. The design of the stream barb in place though, DNR had influence over in this case. This structure was created to reduce overall velocity along the toe of the bank and offer some fish habitat value. There are years it will work better than others. As you made clear... wink

When I was a younger and less impressed by trespassing laws, I kept trying to get north of the old bridge....and I kept getting busted by the security guards. As a conseque3nce, all my experience on that side of the river is farther south.

I've been up to that area in a Jet boat a couple of times, years ago... Not that impressive... There is something MASSIVE living in the outlet nearest the mill. (Most likely a giant catfish) You'd swear it's a log if it wasn't for all the head thrashing and then it attempting to swim away before the line snaps.

Then you get a warning light and the water level changes and you have only a few minutes before all heck breaks loose.

All the other spots above that area are sub-par compared to finding a nice rock pile with waders or a tube south of that stretch.

IMO... It's not worth letting your curiousity kill the cat!

wink

• 1 month later...

The newspaper reported that verso paper mill is having an auction next Tuesday and Wednesday there's all kinds of things from lockers,maintenance equipment,all sorts of things they could have some might be a century old.The paper says its open to the public I have to get back to you about the time.They also said the auction can be reviewed Friday and Monday.check online I think there's details on there.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders

that was not me 2 posts up... smile Stick in the mud said that. Personally I love it up there. smile Many good memories.

• 3 months later...

I was driving by and noticed on the north west end of the mill that they have the big claw out and took a chunk off the end there.I'm sure we will see more comeing down soon.I should have taken a pic.maybe in another week there will be more demoed and I will get a shot of it then.

way too many no trespassing signs along the river... lol

I hope the day comes when they take them signs down.I would be casting in to some of that structure in the water on the north end by shore.Lots of potential shore fishing above and below that big blue monument.

the new signs I see are below on the east side. On the tree edge.

yepper.

must be worries about boaters sneaking into the area to pinch a loaf. smile

• 1 month later...

Is there a way to find out if their going to close the dam over winter or is that something they decide based on water levels ?

I wouldn't think they would close it... Dam heights depend on water level but on a primary river like the Mississippi I highly doubt they would close it all the way there will always be some water flowing through it... it will be interesting to see what happens to it after the mill is torn down all the way...

They will have the dam open until AIM gets the hydro electric plant up and running. Right now, the only flow coming down river is from the one open spill way.

In years past, they'd usually close all the spillways, leaving open only the turbines (I think that's what's down there) on the east side of the river. Last year they were open all winter, which meant that for the first time in many, many years, there was no ice fishing down there.

Which means that this year, if we can get down there, the eel pout should be nuts!! smile

I know you're originally from California, Jeremy, so I imagine you haven't yet run into an eel pout?

These things are vicious....8" (ok, maybe 10") of slimy fury. And boy do they fight....about as much as an 8" or 10" walleye. If I still lived on the river, I'd let you come over to fish the eel pout honey hole, but alas, that ship done sail.

My friend tells me their a lot of fun too.I hope to see one for myself this winter when you find them down there.

I know you're originally from California, Jeremy, so I imagine you haven't yet run into an eel pout?

These things are vicious....8" (ok, maybe 10") of slimy fury. And boy do they fight....about as much as an 8" or 10" walleye. If I still lived on the river, I'd let you come over to fish the eel pout honey hole, but alas, that ship done sail.

8"!!?? That's a baby... if you want to have a blast at the end of winter Jeremy take a drive up to Walker, MN in Feburary to the International Eel Pout Festival... I would recommand bringing a fish house or a camper lol just google it and you can see how big those slimy monsters can get... it's a blast.

If I remember right it was your idea that mud give the guided eel pout trip on the river for who ever gets the closest guess on ice out last winter.I think that's where this all began.I was suggesting an hso sticker but the eel pout guide thing was better.

• 4 weeks later...

I wet a line for a few minutes and pulled over the side of the road to take a pic of the North east side of the mill.There has been more demo on the west side but didn't get around to taking a snap of it. full-45395-38847-imag0535.jpg