• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Looking in the Upper Red Lake Rear View Mirror

hugonian1

A couple of topics that have not been touched on but am curios about.

What is the origin and history of the IBOT's?

Also, I remember much being posted years ago about the "triangle". What was that all about?

I used to be part owner of a large landscape company. So with slow winters I spent an inordinate amount of time on Red and had long days in the office with not much to do. One day as my CAD draftsman and I were finishing up for the afternoon, I came up with the idea to make up a club of fisherman dedicated to warding off the URL triangle. Wierd things seemed to continually happen on Red that did not happen elsewhere, hence the URL triangle... hence the IBOTs... The "International Brotherhood of Triangulists". I sketched up a quick logo... he threw it on the CAD computer, cards were made and laminated, along with an original laminated poster that hung in Westwinds and was signed by all who joined. Have no idea where tahat ended up.

The first night that member cards were issued was a riot... They were handed out, (I believe I made 30 for the 1st run and they were gone)toasts were made (many!) and Putz recieved his Green Hornet! I found a guy on hsolist who made one up for me (think Grumpy Old Men fishing pole)... I believe even Tim the then local CO was made a member by Kelly... We all banded together and had fun out on the lake and more importantly, helped each other out when times of need arose. My card is still proudly displayed in the Labshack II. I still have a a long list of close friends to this day that I met because of this 'fun' little club. Many of it's traditions live on to this day for me...

Good Luck!

Ken

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• shaky legs2

• LABS4ME

• hugonian1

• Doc63

Ken That was a very special time in a lot of our lives which we all hold very close to our hearts. I have been having fun up there since 1998 and Shaky since 1999. Have enjoyed it all. About time I did my first post. doc

Is this the infamous "Doc"?

This could be trouble. blush

Good thing you can't go back on this site and see what others have posted about you. grin

Welcome to Fishing Minnesota.

It can be a lot of fun.

Quote:
My card is still proudly displayed in the Labshack II.
Funny that you mentioned that. Me and Patsy's cards numbered 6 and 7 are still on the corkboard.

I'll try get these into the right topic.

Speaking of "memories" reminded me of another crappie boom time.

I stopped into Westwind one day and got talking to these 2 guys wearing very spendy Green Bay Packer coats. They were a little in the dumps as they had fished for 1 1/2 days and had not caught a crappie. I offered to take them to a place I had scouted the night before and done quite well. They took me up on the offer and away we went. I lead them out to the end of the road then around a couple of pressure ridges and looped back to get through some plated ice until we ended up where no other fishermen were for miles and the shoreline was just a little glimmer on the horizon. I pointed at my holes from the night before and said "There you go" and they started unpacking their gear. As I drove away one of them yelled, "You're coming back to lead us out of here aren't you?" I yelled back, "Nope, this is where we take Packer fans" and drove away. I happened to look in the rear view mirror and they were throwing gear back into their truck as fast as they could. I had to go back and explain that I was just kidding. They ended up getting their limits and we went back to Westwind for some cocktails and discuss Vikings/Packers.

When Cris Niskenin was with the St. Paul Pioneer Press he came up to do a story about the crappie boom. The opening sentence was something like. I might be the crazy one said Kelly Petrowske as we drove a mile beyond the crowd. It came out in the Sunday edition of the paper. My Daughter worked at a bank in the Twin Cities then and did not know that a story had been done. Monday morning at her job everybody is whispering that the big, big, big boss from Chicago is in the Twin Cities. Then the whispers were that he was in their building. Then he is on their floor at the front desk!!! Now he is walking down the hallway towards them so they all scurry back into their offices to look busy. He walks right into my daughters office and she thinks she has really messed something up and is about to get fired. He looks at the newspaper in his hands and says, "This Kelly Petrowske, a different kind of last name and the same name as yours. Is he a relative?"

When my daughter told me about that happening she said, Sorry Dad but the first thing that crossed my mind was, What the #### did Dad do this time?

Hongonian 1 No one has ever called me infamous before . I think I,m Shakys personal caretaker. I see to it that he is not found wandering lost on the lake, is tucked into bed at a respectfull time , and delivered to the nursing home when the fun is over. doc

Wow 2 posts Doc!!! next step smart phone... I can see it now, dualing smart phones with you and Shakey!

You can thank your lucky star you never hooked up with us in those days... we'd scarred you for life! I can still vidley remember those nights in Westwinds... had to be close to 150 people in there. Literally had to plan 15 minutes ahead of time to get to the bathroom! Now we all just hunker down in our houses waiting for a rattle reel to go off! laugh I am going to head in to town one night this weekend. Say Hi to the Hillman's and the Westind staff.

We need to rename Shakey to "Shooks Shakey"!

Good Luck!

Ken

Quote:
Funny that you mentioned that. Me and Patsy's cards numbered 6 and 7 are still on the corkboard.

You have me beat! I don't have my original... I had to cheat and get a replacement! That was a fun night!

Good Luck!

Ken

I was reading this site back during some of the later crappie boom days and always had to chuckle at some of the posted antics. I was on ice every weekend during that time but the arena managers didn't allow drilling holes so fishing was slow. Sure wish I would have had the chance to partake in all the good times. That being said, nice to finally being able to get up that way and hear the stories. doc good to see you here, thanks again for the hospitatly last week. Some great pictures in your shack from the good old days, and the whiskey was good too. Too bad we're just going to pass on the road next week. I need to plan a 2 day trip next year, more time to visit. But the way fishing was for us I probably could have stayed longer frown

Welcome to the Forum Doc. Now maybe Kelly will start picking on you too.: grinI might even train you to post live on the smartphone. You think flurrfies were bad? grin

Welcome to the Forum Doc. When you said we start early were you referring to fishing? I'm glad you're posting as now Kelly will have some fresh meat. grin I can't wait to teach you to use a smartphone. You think flurrfies were bad? grin

"International Brotherhood of Triangulists"

Thanks for clearing that up Labs.

I can tell a lot of brain cells were used up back in the boom days. grin

I had another questions that I am a little nervous to ask for fear of getting sent back to "timeout".

Should I or shouldn't I?

O.K.- here goes:

"Clamping" blush

Well... The demand for said card was Obviously going to outstrip the supply, plus we found a couple of cards thrown on the floor after round two were handed out. Jigglestick came up with the idea that a new member had to 'clamp' and we decided after the clamping, that the new members needed to buy a round for all current members in the bar. Clamping was taking a depth bomb and clamping it between your nostrils for a 10 count by a group of witnessing members... You wanted to do it early on in the evening or get a head start on the adult beverages... The 10 counts by nights end some how usually ended up as 30-40 counts! Saw many a grown man reduced to tears... And to think by the time it all ended there were 300-400 members! Some cLamped on other body parts as deemed OK by those members in presence...

Good Luck!

Ken

sorry to have missed those times too! I remember reading about it all, but never got up there for it.

Welcome to the madness Doc, great to have another smiling face around here.

you are smiling, aren't you? grin

Here are two pics of my son on Red. The first one was his first trip in Feb 2008, the second is from the day after Xmas this year. Ya can't tell that he has fun up there can you?? gringrin

The last is from my first trip to Red in '03. We hit the slabs just right and I got to meet many of the IBOT's that trip. Doc Bob is a good friend and he introduced me to Jiggle, Putz, Scroungie and a whole group who were up that weekend and sailing with the Captain wink

Red1.jpg

IMG_0414_zpsb2487baf.jpg

100_1934.jpg

smile Welcome aboard Doc, this should really get interesting now!! After Jonny gives you the tutorial on the smart phone, I can just picture you and shaky with phones in-hand sending messages to each other while your jiggle stick slips down the hole with that 19 incher attached. Good to see you here.

My one finger works pretty slow as I never took typing in school and I just broke down and got a cell phone so my wife can always keep track of me as long as I remember to turn it on. Doc

I always got a kick out of the closet clampers. I can just imagine how many there wre out there. Now that was funny stuff

Doc is a master at retrieving phones. Just ask Jonny. grin

Yup,Doc can catch phones also, what was amazing is 14 hours in the drink and it still worked. Casio makes a tough phone.

Wonder how many phones are on the bottom of Upper Red Lake?

I posted a short video of our trip to URL the weekend of Feb 8-10. Me and my two teenage sons had a blast fishing in a house we rented from Kelly & Jonny P.

Here's the link:

Kelly & Jonny run a top shelf business and my boys have memories for a life time and they're already planning for next time.

Thanks to Kelly & Jonny Petrowske and Patsy for arranging all the details!

Tom

Northfield, MN