• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

3 cars through on Tonka today....

ha would like to see how many seat belt tickets get handed out on lakes, i would guess 95% of people dont wear them for obvious reasons

Give me a ticket! There is not a chance in h e double toothpicks I'm strapin' in while on ice.

Belts off, windows down, follow the bubbles.

Be safe all!

Sherrif Stanek stated that seat belt laws apply when driving on lakes also.

I'd like to see how long it takes him to retract this statement. MN Police - To Endganger and Ticket...err protect and serve.

Quote:
Does anyone know any details about the other 2 vehicles that went through in Excelsior Bay and Echo Bay? I was out there last night and didn't see or hear anything about them...

I called the Water Patrol and they should be calling me back. I heard 3 went in as well, but only the SUV on Halstad's is all over the news.

Spoke to the Water Patrol. 2 more vechiles went in yesterday. Channels and pressure ridges. He said there's no snow so people are driving all over and eventually will find that bad ice.

Sad stuff about the baby. It leaves you with a sick to your stomach feeling.

If the guy was driving while drunk and took known large risks to avoid getting caught that's some sort of crime right there.

It's a shame that people just don't get how risky and unrisky ice can be. I measure where I go and know exactly where risky places are. Once I measure 12 + inches I have almost zero risk if I go slow and keep my eyes open. Anyone who blindly drives on the ice on a lake that they don't know ice wise is a ......

Unfortunately Sheriff Stanek doesn't have a clue about ice once again. Windows cracked and seat belts OFF!

My heart goes out to the baby and family (even the dad) as they have to be going through a pretty tough time emotionally.

Again, be careful, measure and know before you go!

Sad stuff about the baby. It leaves you with a sick to your stomach feeling.

If the guy was driving while drunk and took known large risks to avoid getting caught that's some sort of crime right there.

Makes me wonder if he even knew it was a "known" bad spot. Not sure who would risk their family if they really knew.

I am not making any defense for the father, just the more I think about it, either he was drunk with impaired judgement or just didn't know. My 2c

I have a 4 year old and whenever I get on the ice with her she is sitting on my lap. It amazes me the stupidity of people I mean seriously have some I-need-to-improve-my-english-language-skills common sense. Im sorry but this kind of stuff just aggravates the dump out of me how dumb are people I dont know Minnetonka too good but Ive fished it and never once thought about driving close or even under a bridge. Do we need to start issuing ice driving licenses too? I mean no ice is ever safe and its defentiely not safe if your driving on ice like a moron with that said prayers for baby.

There is an opportunity here for the media to help educate the average person who knows nothing about ice safety. Rather than reporting "3 vehicles went through the ice over the weekend", they could say "vehicle 1 tried to drive through a narrow channel under a bridge-an area you should always avoid" or "vehicle 2 tried to cross a pressure ridge-an area you should always avoid". The vast majority of these stories involve people driving in areas where they obviously shouldn't. It seems to me like this could help prevent the next guy from doing the same because he doesn't know better. I'll send an email, now that I think about it.

I sent an email to the Sheriff letting him know that he was wrong in his statement about wearing a seat belt while on the ice.

Maybe if he gets enough, that may change his stance on it.

as a father of 2 it almost makes me sick to think such a innocent life could have been spared by using a little common sense, i dont think any amount of jail time will be worse than having to live with what his bad choices did.

Oh man. My condolences to the family (can't believe I'm saying this...even the father). Like one poster mentioned before, hopefully the media can use this accident as a means to educate ice drivers about the dangers of driving on ice.

Prayers for family.

At least the Star Tribune is including information regarding known danger spots like channels and pressure ridges.

Once again, danger stressed

On Tuesday, the Hennepin County Sheriff's Office used the news to again stress the dangers of driving in channels and on ice.

From Friday through Monday, seven vehicles broke through thin ice on Lake Minnetonka, according to the Sheriff's Office. Two of the accidents, including the Markles', involved people driving in a channel. Four of the incidents involved people driving on pressure ridges.

"Despite the recent cold weather, channels of Lake Minnetonka remain dangerous and should be avoided," the Sheriff's Office said in a news release.

Not only are channels dangerous for vehicles, but they also should be avoided by people on foot, snowmobiles and ATVs, the Sheriff's Office said. The weak ice found in channels is due to the friction of the water that constantly runs from one bay to the other bay.

According to the Sheriff's Office, pressure ridges -- compression ruptures that form long cracks on ice sheets -- should also be avoided, as plates held underwater can erode or melt completely, causing unstable ice.

Nicole Norfleet • 612-673-4495 Twitter: @stribnorfleet

I heard on the radio this morning that alcohol could have been involved mad Could just be the media stirring up a story. If that is true I hope this father gets locked up. No matter what I am praying for this family. I couldnt even imagine what I would do without my little girl.