• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Burntside Lake Fishing Reports---Lake Conditions

Snowshoes or skis would be helpful if your planning on going far. Not sure your boots would be able to stay on top of the crust.

NOAA is now forecasting 3-7in of snow tomorrow but who knows how much we will actually get.

We got around 7in of fresh wet snow on Burntside today. Wind is supposed to pick up tonight and tomorrow. Spring time. smile

We got about 6-8 inches of the wet, heavy, snow at Burntside today. frown

Don't know if the slush can get any worse in many spots, but the weight of this new snow isn't going to help!! cry

Looks like Mike beat me to the punch!! grin

Any fish today??

Ha. smile I did get one just over 31in today. smile No pics tho. Cisco on the bottom in 50fow. Most of the fish I marked today were sluggish. Nothing really wanted to chase.

Hey guys. The reports are great as always. I was wondering if I could get an ice thickness report. A few guys and I are thinking of heading onto Trout lake for the weekend to enjoy some moderate weather winter camping. We got chased out earlier this year with the -40 (air temp) dump. Just wondering if my hand auger would even make it through. About how much snow is out there after the latest storm. Stark: How big is that laker in your pic. That thing is giant!!

There is around 2ft of ice on Burntside. After the fresh snow I would think there are some areas with around 1.5/2ft of snow. I bet a hand auger would be enough for you. You might have to dig down to the ice before you drill tho. Getting across Vermilion could be a challenge. I heard reports of lots of slush and that was before the latest snow storm.

The trout in my avatar looks a lot bigger than it actually is. Some pics get squished up there. It is a very fat 30in trout from the Apostle Islands.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders

The trout in my avatar looks a lot bigger than it actually is. Some pics get squished up there. It is a very fat 30in trout from the Apostle Islands.

Mike

That is still a very nice Laker anywhere. smile

You are just to much of an honest guy! You need to stop breaking the fisherman code and brag, lie and hold your fish out closer to the camera like the rest of us! grin

Fished Burntside Friday and Saturday. The eventful trip started with a flat trailer tire at home in Blaine. Didn't mark any fish on Friday fishing in the storm, but did catch a 27", 5#-14oz laker with a cisco on the bottom in 45 FOW. I didn't even know I had caught it until I was picking up to move to another spot around 3pm. The snow had covered the tipup so the flag didn't go up. It had peeled all of the line off, but luckily was still hooked. The trip back to the Van Vac parking lot in the dark was adventurous, plowing through waves of snow drifts. The fishhouse kept filling up with snow which I emptied several times. Because the parking lot wasn't plowed, I ended up sleeping in my van, missing my brother-in-laws 60th birthday party.

On Saturday, I marked several fish near the bottom in 70 FOW. I had one follow a jigging rap 24 feet down all the way up to 12 feet, but it wouldn't bite. I also had two runs on ciscos 6 feet off the bottom, but missed both of those. The parking lot was still not plowed, so I had to knock down the snow with my snowmobile, and circle around the lot with my van to build up momentum to go up the hill. After 7 runs at the hill, I was finally able to make it to the top. Then I dragged the trailer up the hill with my snowmobile, and was on my way home. Overall, still an enjoyable trip. full-28432-43681-5#_14ozcloseup.jpg

full-28432-43683-dsc00045.jpg

full-28432-43685-dsc00066.jpg

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders

Wow, that suc$ when your by yourself. eek

Did you have a cell with you or just couldn't get service? I always keep a few local folks numbers on my cell in case I need some help from someone.

Glad you were able to finally get out. Just a heads up that the road has not been plowed yet. The access to the lake is drifted in pretty good too. Snowmobile travel is still good. It will get sloppy once it warms up tho. Fished a few spots today and found a double layer of ice at all the spots. It took all of my Strikemaster to get through the hard pack snow and double layer of ice.

Got a nice 31in trout today. smile Caught it on Reel Bait Tackle Company's 1/2oz "Plane Jane" jiggin' spoon.

full-21032-43714-planejane.jpg

full-21032-43713-bside31.jpg

I was alone and I had cell phone that gets good coverage on the lake (but very marginal in the parking lot). I had planned ahead and brought a couple of sleeping bags and matresses just in case I couldn't get out on Friday. Only had to start the van up once during the night (got down to -6°F overnight).

Nice fish, Mike. I notice that your fish has the top to its top tail fin clipped just like mine. Do they clip the stocked fish different each year to distinguish them? My fish also had the bottom tail fin clipped flat on the end.

I notice that your fish has the top to its top tail fin clipped just like mine. Do they clip the stocked fish different each year to distinguish them? My fish also had the bottom tail fin clipped flat on the end.

Those are not clipped fins. That is just an old beat up tail. Probably from years and years of spawning. A lot of the bigger/older inland lakers have beat up tails and fins. Stocked fish will have a back under fin completely clipped off.

Nice fish Jerkin and Mike. Well earned considering the conditions.

Jerkin, I was wondering why a snowmobile came up to the top of Van Vac and went down again. I think I now know why. I usually check out the access but with all the snow I didn't bother.

snow and more snow and cold...downward NAO and AO with N Pacific ridge might very well produce a very chilly wet spring /summer!

snow and more snow and cold...downward NAO and AO with N Pacific ridge might very well produce a very chilly wet spring /summer!

Frank,

So much for the EL Nino summer that I heard predicted a couple of weeks ago that we may have again this year!

Cliff

Cliff,

We may still have an EL Nino develop this spring / summer, but with the ocean cycles were in now the weather patterns will probably be different then with past Nino events!

Frank

Made it out to bside yesterday for the last day of the season. Weather wasn't the nicest. Rain, sleet, snow, and wind. Was able to get a couple nice trout on the ice. 30in and 27in. Missed one other fish. The lake had lost a lot of snow the last couple days but it is cold and blowing snowing now. Might be able to ice fish again on opening day. Overall it seemed like folks did better this year than last. Lots of native fish caught. Hopefully that trend continues.

Last laker of the season. Nice 30incher.

full-21032-44062-photo(18).jpg

Nice trout Mike!

Makes the sunnies and crappies that we caught yesterday look like bait! smile

Cliff

I was hoping so. wink.

I know fish kid mods the AK forum n all but when you see a pic that has a background that could be on B side in a B side reports thread, it can make a fella wonder.

remain calm! I got it up here just wanted to see if any one was paying attention! and besides there are not fish that big in bside whistle