• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Burntside Lake Fishing Reports---Lake Conditions

I fished with my parents the last few days. Fishing was OK. Nothing crazy but we still caught trout. We caught 5 total. Thursday we caught two late in the afternoon. Friday my mom caught the only fish and Saturday my dad caught 2 fish jigging. Conditions were tough. Cold, wind, and snow! But it was nice and warm inside the house tho. wink

From what I have heard truck travel off the main roads is done for. Lots of hard packed drifts out there. Talked to a couple guys from the cities that set up right on top of me on Friday. They said they couldn't get anywhere off the road. They also said they saw one guy stuck for a few hours. We got a little more snow last night and it's snowing lightly now too. It's supposed to be cold and windy tonight and tomorrow. Going to make for even bigger and harder drifts. Snowmobiles or tracked vehicles are they only way to go off the main roads.

Just a reminder....Please don't drill holes on the road. The group that set up right by me had a tip up set up on the road. They thought they were off the road but the road and blown in and had not been completely plowed out yet. Well I guess their tip up got plowed over that day. I guess that's the price you pay for setting up on the road. smile

I had a great time fishing with my parents. Doesn't get much better than that. smile

There were a few people drilling holes and fishing on the road Friday. mad

Because of that, the only road I'll plow anymore is the road to Mike Stark's fish house.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders

Sorry to hear that GO a few people ruin it for everyone.

There were a few people drilling holes and fishing on the road Friday. mad

Because of that, the only road I'll plow anymore is the road to Mike Stark's fish house.

Well I guess that means I will have to fish by Mike's house. smile

Well I guess that means I will have to fish by Mike's house. smile

Bad move!!!!

I had to promise Mike that I'd plow a berm around anyone that came within 100 yards of his house!! grin

Guess as long as you are 101 yards from mikes fish house your good to go chaffmj. Haven't read any posts from MR FOSS as of yet not fishing this year or busy with other adventures he and mike stark made for good reading and kept us updated on conditions on b side

Stop by anytime Mike!

Hey, dang-it Mike! Save me a few for the 14th! frown

Got a few nice lakers opening weekend on bside. I've been fishing Ojibway lake alot this winter with great success. There's some dandy's in there!

What's conditions like to get there like what's there for parking and ease of access getting to the lake

Not much has changed. Snowmobiles are the way to go if you want to get away from the crowds. Some parts of the ice roads are getting narrow. So keep in mind if you park on the road make sure there is plenty of room for people to pass. And some of those people that need to pass have big plows on the front of their big trucks. smile Give people lots of space too. Most areas are flooding as soon as you drill your holes.

What's conditions like to get there like what's there for parking and ease of access getting to the lake

You replied to Lahey so I'm guessing you're asking about Ojibway Lake? If so, look at his post about that just below (at this time) this. whistle

I tie an offshore planer board release to a foot of line and then tie that to the wing nut on the side of the tip up base. When using giant suckers, just clip the release onto the tip up line after you have your bait hanging at the desired depth. The sucker can't pull it free but a big pike or laker can.

Interesting rig setup I like it. I like monkey'in around on above freezing days with the homemade tipup alarm. Simply take a extra 20-30 feet of tipup line and and tie a half hitch knot around your pop can and listen for a " ratta tat tat.

Oh yea forgot about a fishing report. The barometer went from 28.68 this morning to 30.08 tonight. Did ok a couple of non clipped 23 inchers. They tasted good!

• 2 weeks later...

Not a whole lot different out on Burntside these days. Still lots of snow! smile There is one road to watch out for that runs out from the Burntside lodge over towards Brownell Island. It is not marked at all and both sides of the road have very steep banks. I watched one guy dump his sled when he hit it as I was going by on my sled. Hopefully someone marks that road soon. I don't think it is even marked on the snowmobile trail.

Fishing has been ok. Nothing too crazy. Some fish still being caught but you have to work for them. Lots of lookers and not too many takers. Found a deep pocket of slush today too. We got a few inches of fresh snow today and there is more on the way. So snowmobiles are they way to go with the limited road access on the lake.

Not a whole lot different out on Burntside these days. Still lots of snow! smile There is one road to watch out for that runs out from the Burntside lodge over towards Brownell Island. It is not marked at all and both sides of the road have very steep banks. I watched one guy dump his sled when he hit it as I was going by on my sled. Hopefully someone marks that road soon. I don't think it is even marked on the snowmobile trail.

Man, if they plowed the road across the snowmobile trail somebody's gonna get hurt bad! I've seen before where a plow driver had lifted his plow to get across a lake trail then put it back down on the other side. That was a good plan.

Wasn't it 2 years ago the ice ridge popped up on the main basin? That claimed a few sled parts. I picked up what was left of someone's windshield when I went by it.

Sounds the fishing is pretty typical for February... Good luck out there.

Plowed roads, just like pressure ridges, can appear at places you would least expect them.

They're plowed to get to a fish house, to someone's property, or by contractors that work at various places on the lake.

The marked trail travels the length of Burntside, and snowmobilers must be made aware of the possibility of coming across a plowed road.

I was setup not to far from the road crossing the sled trail and I can tell you that a few of the guys I had seen who were using it as a little bit of a jump to get some air. You should have seen the sleds using the two hills and ditchs about a half mile out of town! It looks like some of them were trying to clear the whole road. I do agree that some kind of markers leading up to the road on the trail would be a good safe idea.

The last couple days of warm weather have made a mess of the road on Burntside. The is just east of where the snowmobile trail crosses the road. The water is about 6in deep. It's going to get nasty with the snow on the way. And it won't be cold enough to lock it up tight. Not sure if trucks will be able to make it through that section for a while. The road is also sloppy toward Dollar Island. NOAA is forecasting 6-12in of snow with 10-25mph winds Thursday through Friday morning. Saw a couple guys pulling their houses off the lake. I'm rolling the dice. smile Not sure when I will be able to get the truck out there after the storm tho. Hopefully I can get the house off sometime in April! wink

photo12_zps5735c81d.jpg

Hey Mike:

Thanks for all the updates! I'll be up there next weekend in your rental house, is this slush going to be an issue for us getting out to the house? Thanks.

Hey Mike:

Thanks for all the updates! I'll be up there next weekend in your rental house, is this slush going to be an issue for us getting out to the house? Thanks.

Hey MM,

You welcome. smile Only time will tell what happens with the road. I have guys in the house this weekend that I am planning on shuttling them out on my snowmobile. It is supposed to get cold next week which will really help the road. I would think that one spot is going to be almost impossible to plow for a while. If we get a foot of snow and 30mph winds who knows what the road will look like. /: I'll keep you guys updated as it gets closer to next weekend.

Thanks Mike! Please keep me updated. It might present some issues for us if we have to be shuttled out via snowmobile.

I know Mike will keep you updated, but the next storm may make snowmobile travel next to impossible.

In my opinion, stay off the lakes for a week or two, until this snow settles.

The slush conditions are going to be horrible.

Yea. Things could get real sloppy out there. We will just have to wait and see how much snow we actually get.

Any luck the last week or so on b-side? My dad, gf's dad and I are headed up on the 28th. No sled unfortunately, just vehicles, which sounds like we won't get far... I promise we won't park in the middle of or drill a hole in anyone's road...

Typically we've fished out of the Burntside lodge access or W of Van Vac - how are the roads in those spots looking? Do you know if anything is plowed off the NE landing or North Arm?

My dad and I have been doing this trip for 7-8 years now, always a good time, hoping the fish will cooperate.

Any info is much appreciated.

- Andy