• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Cattin the Chain 2013

Good for you Notcho!!!!! Hopefully they learned their lesson. Yes, unfortunately it gives everyone a black eye.

• Replies 525
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Rick G

• DTro

• aanderud

• Horseshoe_Don

I told the CO that I don't like creating waves but it makes everyone else look bad and something needed to be done.

Thank you Notcho! You did the right thing by calling them in, hopefully they learned their lesson.

I have a felling they will be watched by the local COs for a while, the man in green dosen't like being lied to wink

Well that explains a lot. When we arrived, they had a good party going with the music pretty loud. Not obnoxious, just loud and you could tell they were partying. It was New Years after all, so not a big deal.

Well the music stopped and that is when we seen them walking out. I heard the one guy trying to blame it on someone else and could tell the CO wasn't having any part of that. smile

Hopefully they learned a good lesson, thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted By: NKLCOLT1911

Was up there tuesday with nutter fishing 28-29 fow I have never marked so many fish and never got bit, we measured 13" of good ice and had a big wheel jouse pass us and a few trucks.

Quote:
This was my experience over on Long, frustrating to say the least!

Hey Rick, where were you fishing on Long? I have been able to get on good schools of cats every night I have been out there so far this season.

Good call Notcho. You must have left just a little while before we got there because your holes had like 1/4 inch of ice, and it was like 0 degrees out.

They did have a good selection of music when we were there.

Hey here's a little lesson on spot picking --

We picked a spot out and started fishing there -- pretty much right next to some holes we used 2 days earlier. We had some all-right luck. We were set up in 30 F.O.W. and seeing just an occasional fish on sonar. Caught about 8 cats in an hour. Not a bad pace but not setting the world on fire either.

I was frustrated that we had seen an all-night-tornado under us the previous time we were out, and nothing like that today. Drilled some holes, moved about 75 feet, and ended with that tornado under the sonar most of the night. Got over 40 fish from that second spot in the next 2 hours. It's amazing how much difference 50 feet can make. I've actually seen a huge difference in like 20 feet in some locations over near the meth hole.

Long story short -- if you're not marking many fish, just move til you find the fish -- they won't always come find you.

Sure, rub it in grin. We drilled a bunch of holes in the south end by the point and out into the basin. We used up a tank of gas in the auger on the north end. Trust me, it wasn't the spots, it was the day. The wind switched directions while we were coming into the access on Long. By the time we got over to the Shoe it was game on. I'm sure had we stayed at Long we would have gotten them too.

Oh, my post wasn't directed at you, Rick. It was just a general post that anyone might find useful for fishing these lakes.

I wouldn't dream of giving you tips on fishing these waters, since you basically outfish me every time we're there on the same days. LOL.

In the past, I would rarely even set up the tent until we've found that 'tornado', or something that's close to it -- but now that I have a 5 year old in tow, it's just easier to set up the shack and hope, and move later if necessary. Though he can be a bit of a weenie about moving once we're set up....

Oh, my post wasn't directed at you, Rick. It was just a general post that anyone might find useful for fishing these lakes.

I was responding to LP, he likes to poke at the bear from time to time grin

Great tips, aanderud, and good job, Notcho, for calling the CO. Nice to see justice served once in a while.

Just to sate my curiosity, is this "fish tornado" phenomenon mainly confined to the meth hole/river flow vicinities on the shoe? We stuck close to the winter access and were wondering if there are even channels that far from the main drag of the riv ...

For such a long drive, a single rock bass was not worth it ... Next time I want to be fully prepared, so any input would be greatly appreciated!

I had a "tornado" last Saturday and I was within the area that I could see the winter access and the trucks that were parked on the ice. For over an hour I was marking fish in about a column of 7 and sometimes 10 feet. I had a group of 4 walk by me talking about finding cats and while they were within sight I had the "tornado" under me and had just released one cat. I didn't have the size but I thought something was wrong with my Humminbird until I pulled up the first one. I had previously caught a walleye and last winter I caught both eye's and crappies in that general area. I was trying to find the crappies and the cats were honestly an accident. But man do they put up one heckuva fight. Good luck.

Just to sate my curiosity, is this "fish tornado" phenomenon mainly confined to the meth hole/river flow vicinities on the shoe? We stuck close to the winter access and were wondering if there are even channels that far from the main drag of the riv ...

For such a long drive, a single rock bass was not worth it ... Next time I want to be fully prepared, so any input would be greatly appreciated!

The cat tornado happens on just about every lake in just about every basin on the whole chain. Just have to be in the right place at the right time. You could be 20ft off the school and only see a couple.

Was out for a bit today. Got one big northern and 2 cats before my back gave out for the day. I ended up sitting on my buddies couch watching tv till they came in and told my how great they did frown

There are cats everywhere out there! The meth hole just gets more activity/mention because its is accessible. As already mentioned deeper water is key, and areas like the meth hole can be more difficult to stay on them because of the sheer amount of area the school will roam in these big basins. The smaller pockets, which I am assuming DTRO is now fishing can be the more productive because the area they are holding in is....well....smaller, and easier to stay on top of. Get yourself a chip or spend some time on the DNR Lakeffinder and the areas are rather obvious. As Rick said..."find a crappie looking area". Not every hole is going to be holding fish, but if you put in some time and check out a few of them you will hit the mother load. Best thing to do is drill kind of an x pattern on these pockets from the breaks to the bottom and back up to see where they are on a particular day. Again though, be careful. Go back to that map I put up on page 2(i think) and it will show you where the main flow is. Areas outside of it should for the most part be safe. Inside of it can be sketchy, but after this cold spell, if you are traveling light on sleds or wheeler, should be ok......still no guarantees ....and prepare accordingly. If you are going to travel lightly in these areas, best thing to do is stay in the middle of the channels, as the sides of the inlets and outlets will have the most potential thin ice.

The smaller pockets, which I am assuming DTRO is now fishing can be the more productive because the area they are holding in is....well....smaller.

wink

and even then, a 50ft move can help a lot. Seriously, when it comes to this body of water and these fish, if you aren't marking fish, I would simply move and keep moving. I understand how hard it is when you drive a long ways to try a bunch of spots and that is why the Meth hole is so popular, it's fairly easy to get to and can be semi consistent as well. But like PB said, its one of the biggest holes in the lake and its easy to miss the school. What Aanderud and I started doing was make an effort to hit one new spot each time before we hit the meth hole. We got blanked a few times, but other times, it was lights out. Now we have a couple of spots we can depend on when there is enough ice to get there.

It always helps to bump into friendly locals up there too. They can really shorten the learning curve dramatically. smile

It always helps to bump into friendly locals up there too. They can really shorten the learning curve dramatically. smile

Don't be afraid to ask the guys on the ice whats working for them. For the most part the cat guys are pretty helpfull bunch. It's the walleye guys you have to watch out for , they tend to be in a bad mood all the time grin

when you say the meth hole is easy to get to how are you traveling on the ice cause on tuesday there was no way i was going to make that mile + hike pulling a 100# sled and i even had nutter to help with the work load

Rick G I am going out to the chain,Long lake, can I drive out from the landing to the south end? I am avoiding any river flow areas by going on long.Ice is just to scary to me.Two kids 5 & 7 cant walk out with them.

Rick G I am going out to the chain,Long lake, can I drive out from the landing to the south end? I am avoiding any river flow areas by going on long.Ice is just to scary to me.Two kids 5 & 7 cant walk out with them.

As of Tue long had 12-13in of ice. I did not drive out but a lot of people did. You have to use your own judgement o this, after all you did say you had two kids with.

UMM I cant qoute your post Rick G

I know its my judgment,Ice has always been scary to me.I was hoping for 14 + inches.The lakes around Willmar last Tues. had 14 and one had 15.It was consistant.I think I can hug shore and make the walk down to 100 yards or so.

Thanks for the post!

when you say the meth hole is easy to get to how are you traveling on the ice cause on tuesday there was no way i was going to make that mile + hike pulling a 100# sled and i even had nutter to help with the work load

LOL! Guess I shouldnt have said easy....just meant easier because of the access. Again, there are other areas to fish out there. Another access is a few miles a way, has a couple similar deep basins with a saddling point, plenty of fish, and a lot shorter walk wink

If you want to fish the meth hole area before you can drive there (I like it earlier in the year when the rest of the chain can be more sketchy), I suggest stopping by some houses and asking if you can trudge through a yard to get there. Many of the homeowners are more than willing to let a guy out on the ice, you just gotta ask. I've also made the walk from hwy 22 or whatever it is, parking south of that bridge. It's about a 1/2 mile from there. Alagnak, dtro, and I have done it in 8-10+ inches of snow, so I know it can be done on years like this. Parking can be a hassle, so be sure you're not within sight of a no parking sign if you want to go here (and even then, cross your fingers hoping for no ticket smile )

Well, last time I checked, you can park on 22 by the bridge and walk West. Like I said, that is a fairly easy walk. I've done it in 12" of snow with an Otter Lodge. You can also knock on a few doors both on the North side and South side and then you have even an easier walk.

Pretty sure you can just drive out there with a vehicle right now...

Fished from 1pm till about an hour ago. Fishing was pretty slow for most of the day. Had a decent run of activity from 4 till 7 then it got slow again. Fish seemed to be spread out, had a bunch of holes drilled and just about every one had one or more, just no schools. Green Rattlin' Flyer with asmaller minnow head produced more than anything else we tried tonight. I think I'm going to break out the tub o' liver tomorrow if conditions stay the same.

Had 14in of ice in the spot we were in today. Trucks are driving almost everywhere on Horseshoe and Cedar. Even saw one or two on Becker as we went past on 22. If you do decide to drive on the ice, be carefull and stay on or near the packed down road if you are not familiar with the lake.

Does anyone know if I can drive a car out from the winter access? I've always just walked out so i'm not even sure where the winter access is?

Winter access is off Hwy 22 about 1/2 mi. south of the DNR summer access. You can go to either Horseshoe or Cedar Island lake from there. I drove out a mini van yesterday had around 12 inces of ice where we fished. Only a few cats.

Thanks Naturboy! I was just wondering if my car would make it or if I needed to drive my truck. I guess I try the car.

I've seen plenty of cars out there in the past. There isn't that much snow on the chain right now, I think you'll be just fine. Might need to get a running start to get back up the hill when you're done but it's not THAT bad.

Pretty cool seeing everyone today, I think we had 7 HSO members in the bay.

Fishing was decent through out the afternoon and into the evening. The trick was to keep moving durring the day. We had located a pretty good size school but they kept on the move, and so did I wink I think we ended getting around 60 between the 4 of us. Minnow heads and chicken liver both produced with neither one doing better than the other. Glow green was by far the best color, by the end of the evening we all had switched over to green.