• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Cattin the Chain 2013

• Replies 525
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Rick G

• DTro

• aanderud

• Horseshoe_Don

You should give it a try, it can be a blast wink Though they are related, catfish eat bullheads like candy at a certain time of year.

where can i find walleyes and crappie and pan fish on the chain of lakes

Euwww. Why would you want to catch one of those scaly things? crazy

Nels

where can i find walleyes and crappie and pan fish on the chain of lakes

Long, Becker, Horseshoe, and Cedar Island all have good populations of both. Get the navionics chip out and look for fishy-looking spots. saddles, sunken islands, and points work well for walleyes. Deeper water basins with sharp breaks tend to hold plenty of crappies. I'm sure you can also find craps in shallower near weed beds, but I've found them on some of the deep water off sharp breaks, suspended between 5 and 15 feet off the bottom in as much as 35 f.o.w.

Made it out this last Sunday. Nice meeting you Rick G. I've got to get one of those HSO hats. Great day on the ice and was fairly productive and made it home in time to feed the family some whisker fish.

Was curious if trucks are driving out yet and how much ice. Couple weeks ago had 12" on Becker. Would like to make it up tomorrow, just not sure I would want to make the long drag, thanks guys, good luck out there.

I was out there Tuesday the 8th and there was 14 inches of ice. They were biting really lite. If you have a camera I'd use it because it seemed they were just holing the bait in their mouth. I was however swarmed with fish under me from about 5:00 till when I left at 7:30.

It was just too much fun out there on the chain last weekend to not make another trip back before I head back to school Saturday. With the front coming in I hope the fish will be active. I will be making the trek out with my dad and another buddy of mine. Black canvas craft flipover and an old blue fish trap. Stop by and say hello! I'll try to post up a report when we get home or maybe even post from the phone if they are snapping good during the day.

Made it out today. Fishing was fair/ good for the most part. Got a few cats through out the day, but mostly just crappies frown Catfish moved in around 5pm and were still biting when we left. Minnow heads and smashed up boddies out fished liver by 5:1 this evening. Just pays to bring both baits some nights.

We got a pretty good rain that came down while we were out there. The little snow we had on the lake realy took a beating tonight. Things will be slick again when it freeze back up this weekend. Guess I'm going to have to break out the cleats once more.

Ill be headed up there on Monday and Tuesday to settle a score with that lake. Being that the last time I was there I only caught a Rick bass, I need to ice some whiskers. The guy bill be fishing with only has a hand auger, so we won't be very mobile, and thus I predict well likely stik to the hole ... Have people been driving all the way to the meth hole? Going with a catfish virgin, so if really like to at least hook him into one whiskered critter. Thanks!!

Being that the last time I was there I only caught a Rick bass

A what??? I hope you mean rock bass! No need to get all nasty grin I know I hate the things like no one else, but to call them a Rick bass, lol, man thats cold winkgrin

[Was curious if trucks are driving out yet and how much ice. Couple weeks ago had 12" on Becker. Would like to make it up tomorrow, just not sure I would want to make the long drag, thanks guys, good luck out there.]

[ill be headed up there on Monday and Tuesday to settle a score with that lake. Being that the last time I was there I only caught a Rick bass, I need to ice some whiskers. The guy bill be fishing with only has a hand auger, so we won't be very mobile, and thus I predict well likely stik to the hole ... Have people been driving all the way to the meth hole? Going with a catfish virgin, so if really like to at least hook him into one whiskered critter. Thanks!!]

The answer is yes, I have been driving my truck out there as others have as well. Is it safe or not, thats for you to decide... I would not park a truck out by the meth hole, after the bend park it near shore and walk the 20 yards. Better safe than sorry!

after the bend park it near shore and walk the 20 yards. Better safe than sorry!

Been out to the meth hole many times, but not yet this yr.

Thanks for the info FRA. Not sure what you mean by bend? Bend in the ice road? Bend around the point near the meth hole?

Headed out tmrw with a cat rookie and am planning on fishing the community spot (meth hole). Wil be driving out. Might try other spots, but with the cold weather will be going only where I can drive the truck.

Anyone know if Long Lake is drivable in that first bay out from the access?

White Tundra with topper; black Canvas Craft shelter. Stop by and say howdy.

Have fun, keep warm, and be safe out there.

Good luck!

• Official Fishing Report Team - MN

Yes the ice is driveable on the south end of long.

Not sure what you mean by bend? Bend in the ice road? Bend around the point near the meth hole?

I think it's called Pikes point? It's the large point west of the Meth hole.

Just got to the lake. Lake is water covered. Talked to a gut that siad there is up to 4" of water in some spots. Going out in the early a.m. for wallys then mid morning for some kitties at the meth hole.

Will give a report on the ice tomorrow.

Don

Just got off the lake, what a wet slippery mess crazy some places I found 2in of water. Ice is still in great shape despite the weather smile

The bite was pretty darn good this evening wink We started marking fish around 4, by 5 we had our first tornado. I thought we were in for that mythical 100 fish night. Well, by 6pm the tornado moved off and we were left with one here and one there for the rest of the night. The good news is that most of the fish that came into view on the Vexliar were active. I think we got right around 40 between two of us. Lots of missed fish and roughly 15-20 that came unhooked part way up.

I am pretty sure the bite being good has something to do with the cold front moving this way wink Tomorrow might be a whole different story all together.

Btw, did anyone else notice an unusual amount of large methane bubbles coming up tonight?

A what??? I hope you mean rock bass! No need to get all nasty grin I know I hate the things like no one else, but to call them a Rick bass, lol, man thats cold winkgrin

;D darn auto correct ... Yes, of course I meant a Rick bass ... Err, rock bass :P