• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Cattin the Chain 2013

Rick G getting any decent whitetips on your side of the lake my side has been average at best?

The first two times out were great for size and numbers, not so much for size the last two times out.

• Replies 525
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Rick G

• DTro

• aanderud

• Horseshoe_Don

how many inchs ice on horse shoe

what u use to catch walleyes and crappies

From 2-5in of ice, but there are places with less and there are places with more. Just use common sence and a nice sharp spud bar if your unfamiliar with the lake.

As for bait, the walleyes have been coming mostly on set lines with small golden shiners or with jigging spoons like the Buck shot tiped with the head or tail of a fathead. The crappies I have been getting are coming via my cat rig, 1/16 Frostee tiped with a minnow head. Set lines with live crappie minnows is another great method that puts plenty of fish on the ice every year. Don't forget the plastics either, the chain fish have been known to eat something that isn't real from time to time wink.

Yes, I sometimes use a tip up as a second line. Most of the time I will set a foot from the bottom, sometimes less sometimes more depending on the spot I'm fishing.

Went out last night. Caught 33 cats. It was a blast. Even was able to get a couple doubles. The bottom 5 feet of the flasher was lit up all night

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

Sounds like a good trip Clown Town.

Welcome to the St Cloud forum.

Ya last year was the first year I got into it. It is nice to fish eyes on some surrounding lakes and than go pull the cats through the ice after dark for however long you want to stay out there.

i think i might trying heading out for some cats this weekend not sure where to go since i dont wanna walk all the way over by the meth hole lol. how much ice is there on the lake?

i think i might trying heading out for some cats this weekend not sure where to go since i dont wanna walk all the way over by the meth hole lol. how much ice is there on the lake?

Countryboy, there are quite a few good spots right off Hwy22 on both Cedar and Horseshoe that are less than a 1/4mi walk. Ice is generaly decent shape for walking although there are a few spots to watch out for.

Bite wasn't fast and furious tonight but it was definately not a tough bit either. Ended up in the low 20's tonight with the biggest at 25". Even got a few with live fatheads and shiners under a bobbber.

Good job LP, you still fishing Long? We are going to have to get out together sometime this winter wink Maybe hit up the river once it's safe?

Still on Long. Yeah we should go out sometime, but it will have to be after Jan 14 due to christmas break.

Can my boy and i join you guys.... We fish on Long (south basin) yearly since there is a place to park by the boat launch and sled out. We like to fish on Horseshoe but there is no place to park....

thanks.

Soft..

Never fished for cats through the ice. Going to give it a try in the next couple weeks up there. Any kind of structure I should be looking for? I'm guessing from the posts you fish them like crappies and eyes? Because I would hate to drive all that way and spend the whole day wandering around like a lost puppy. Any help would be great! THANKS!

Soft, we sure can hook up some weekend to get you and you son on some fish, send me a pm! btw, you can park on the roadside of 22 for Horseshoe access.

EaglesEdgeDeer, I havent been on Becker, but heard from a good source that there was still some pretty thin ice spots out there yet as of last weekend.

walleyecheeks, I will send you a pm tonight with a few gps cords of proven spots to get you started.

Just got back from a few hours on the lake, 4pm till 11:15pm. Fishing was pretty consistant, I averaged 4.5 fish per hour , Traderlee got his share too wink I was set up in 32ft and had one line set at 28 and the other at 22. They both got fish but the one closer to the bottow was getting a few trash fish too. We got fish on the Rattlin' Flyers in glow red and rainbow and on the Frostees in glow red and glow green. Had to keep fresh bait and a good glow on the jigs to make the fish happy tonight.

We have almost 8in of ice in some spots now but quite a bit less in others. Good cold weather the next few days should take care of those thin spots.

I did see that someone walked from the winter access over to the meth hole today. There are a couple of spear houses over on Becker now so it looks like at least a few people have been out there.

Hey Rick, I will be out on Long tomorrow night from 4-7, stop on by if you are around. I will be in a red Quickfish 4.

Sorry LP, I got talked into hitting one of the Avon area lakes for crappies tomorrow frown I will be out there all weekend though grin

I was the one out by the meth hole last night. Be VERY careful if you venture out there as the meth hole is still wide open. There are also about a dozen holes closer to the point that are still open and about the size of a dinner plate. Ice on the way out supported me and my gear, (I'm about 175,) but it is a long walk, and it reminded me how lazy I've been all summer.

Fishing was exactly as Rick stated. Brought a couple cats home as a Christmas present for my mother-in-law and had a delicious crappie dinner last night. It'll be awhile before I'm back out there again... like when I can drive.

DTro-how's that hub working out for you? Thinking about getting one to leave at the in-laws so I don't have to haul my flipover when we go visit.

So thats who that was over on the meth hole wink DTro, was that fire I saw close to where we get on?

Got a late start tonight, fished from 6 till 11 with pretty decent success. Set up in 32ft and had fish on my first line while I was trying to get the second line down. It ended up beinG kinda like that all night wink. Most of the fish we got were on the small side but we did get enough over 20in to make things intresting.

Be back out tomorrow for more grin

Lammboy, I don't personaly know how the ice is right in front of the access but there have been a few people each night out there so I'm guessing it's ok.

Be carefull out there, still a few thin spots around the lake yet.