• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Cattin the Chain 2013

The winds on Horseshoe are a sustained 30-40 mph with gusts that could be 50. I am waiting to see a fish house come flying by the cabin.

Don

• Replies 525
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Rick G

• DTro

• aanderud

• Horseshoe_Don

The winds on Horseshoe are a sustained 30-40 mph with gusts that could be 50. I am waiting to see a fish house come flying by the cabin.

Don

grin

I wish I had the same view out my window. Better than watching TV.

I think I might be the only one out in a colapseable house right now. On the far nw part of shoe. Pretty sheltered from the wind. Sounds like a jet coming over the bank

Don

I watched someone's 5 gallon pail cruise right past me on the local lake I was on.That pail was moving fast. I should've drove to the Chain and fished a more sheltered area. It was brutal out in the open today. Will be heading over that way soon.

Tried the methhole but due to extreme winds and an inability to anchor our sailboat (er...clam) e we were forced into a more protected area. It was better than sitting home even with no luck.

I may have not caught any fish sitting at home but atleast I wasn't fighting the nasty wind. the fish will be there another day. looks like I made a good choice on Saturday.

I was down on north Brown in a contest when the wind came. No shelter contest, had some people leave early. Then when everyone was standing around the award area one of the port a potties blew across the lake.

I was down on north Brown in a contest when the wind came. No shelter contest, had some people leave early. Then when everyone was standing around the award area one of the port a potties blew across the lake.

Lol grin

I attended the contest up on Gull, it was an epic wind to say the least. We had just about everything that people bring to a fishing contest blow past us. Saw a tip-up, a bunch of gloves, hats and a whole lot of garbage blow onto the south shore. The only way I was getting out of my chair to chase anything down was if a vexilar came flying by, but it never happened grin

Heading home. 87 fish tonight. What A blast!

I bet you had that whole section of lake to yourself again too. Just a few minutes from the good old meth hole and nobody has hunted you down yet winkgrin

Tried to find a couple new places on Saturday. Ended up getting blown off the lake. It was ridiculous wind out there pretty much all weekend.

Aanderud got the big one of the night,

002_zps1a412440.jpg

but Adam broke his old record with 24 fish. Here he is showing off his new Ultra Feel combo.

Wow, what a night. It was a bit chilly out there with that wind and no decent banking material for the shack. First time all year we've had to have the heater on high. Liver outperformed minnows by far. My first 7 fish were on minnows, and i think we got maybe a dozen or so -- then we went to liver and it was lights out.

Cant wait for the cool cats this weekend!! In the past couple weeks I have been getting more interested in cats as I have been doing some scouting on cedar and I am pretty much hooked on them. Found an area that was loaded with them which at first I thought were crappies until I set the hook. Its pretty nice having my 38 inch heavy ice troller rod folded over time and time again. I found them in between 17 and 30 feet of water. This was one of my first times really targeting these fish. I have always been a panfish and walleye guy but now I will definitely be putting this into my schedule a couple times a week!! Went threw a ton of spoons finding out what they liked and for me it was the cjs 1/8 and 5/16 oz gold with glow tape and silver with blue tape slender spoons and the lindy rattlin flyer spoons in 1/4 oz tullibee color and gold. Pretty excited to meet everyone this weekend and catch some more!!!

Im pretty sure I might make it out there if I do Ill have extra room in my portable I have the eskimo qf 6 only 2 of us going so if anyone doesnt have a house your welcome to join just bring some brews.

Another great outing, I think we ended the evening in the high 60s. Did get a couple respectable ones too, big one went 26in grin Once again liver was the go-to bait. I had on the glow blue Frostee and my budie had on the holographic red Frostee. By the end of the evening I didn't even bother putting down the Vexilar anymore, I just put the bait down, if it was somewhere between the bottom of the lake and the bottom of the ice it was getting hit grin Now I know what DTro felt like the other night, getting them just a few ft. down is crazy wink never had this happen before, and to have it happen more than once in a evening is pretty weird.

I am going to take a little break from the cats till the event on Sat. Hope to see a bunch of you guys out there!

ok so break it down for us newbeeeeees. i believe i am coming up on sat morning from Owatonna. would like to meet someone near a landing and follow out. was thinking 4 wheeler and my x2. some minnows ( dead the best?) some chicken liver? ( from a grocery store?) and my normal walleye rods. and somthing to pass! any help appreciated. Ryan

For me minnow heads have been working better during the day, then chicken liver seems to better in the evenings. And yeah walleye rods are recommended. Caught one on my light rod the other day, really fun, but you lose control of the fish and you end up fighting them for a loooooooong time. I was planning on heading out Saturday morning, but I ended up getting into a fight with a tiller on Tuesday and 25 stitches later I'm on crutches for a couple weeks. But good luck out there!!!!

Check out the HSO events forum, we have a pretty good thread on the event going.

ThePundsack88, sory to hear about your injury. What are you doing playing with a tiller? Last time I cheched the ground was still frozen grin

ok so break it down for us newbeeeeees. i believe i am coming up on sat morning from Owatonna. would like to meet someone near a landing and follow out. was thinking 4 wheeler and my x2. some minnows ( dead the best?) some chicken liver? ( from a grocery store?) and my normal walleye rods. and somthing to pass! any help appreciated. Ryan

You pretty much got it already. I use live minnows as well. Yep, from a grocery store. Dtro has a video a page or two back for some of basics. As far as the access look at the map, you really wont have a problem following the ice road, but if unsure it wont be long till someone shows up and follow.

Haha funny guy!! We sell em where I work and I started one up for a customer to buy and it caught my jeans and didn't stop

How's the winter access holding up? Driveable ice? Hoping to make it out on Sat but won't be able to drive my truck so that means the 2wd escape will have to make the trip.

My escape has made it up and down that access a couple times this year. Just make sure you have a lid on the minnow bucket!!