• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Cattin the Chain 2013

thanks guys...never iced a cat, from what i see here looks like a great time,especially with the variety and not knowing what you may catch.

• Replies 525
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Rick G

• DTro

• aanderud

• Horseshoe_Don

has anybody ever spend the night out there?

like to make the get together if iam in town, but would also like to spend the night.

any input would be great

thanks

Spending the night is a good option. You can catch fish all night if you are in the right place. I will be about a half mile south of the meth hole the night of the 25th. I won't leave the hole covers open anymore though because of the otter incident last year grin

Anyone catching cats on Cedar Island or Long? I've made the trip up to Horseshoe at least twice every winter for about 15 years but haven't tried these lakes yet. I'd like to search out some new water but only have limited time on Friday afternoon on my way farther north. I have some ideas after looking at the map but I'm wondering if it's worth the time. Otherwise, I'll stick to the old standby spots. No secret spots needed. Thanks!

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

The guy I was fishing with had never fished for catfish before, so between his and my excitement, it was pretty easy to keep track of the running total. He even got the big fish of the night, somewhere between 25"-27" and thick! I think it's safe to say he'll be hooked on cats from now on!

Sounds like fun. I wasn't questioning you're keeping count. Just relaying what it can be like during a cat storm. wink

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

vern,

I haven't fished long or Cedar Island but know guys who have and done well on cats.

I wasn't questioning you're keeping count. Just relaying what it can be like during a cat storm. wink

I lost count that night, but will vouch for nsnutter on the numbers.

My fishing partner got cold and was whining like a 3yr old about this and that grin Tried feeding him, and even offered to break out the coloring books grin he got pretty upset, and will again when he reads this wink so I lost count pretty quick. Didn't get near as many as those guys, but did darn good. It was just one of those wild evenings where everything fell together wink I only wish I could have stayed one more hour.

Sorry, a bit long winded, but hopefully it helps a few people ice some cats.

Great video DTro, the "that's what she said" line was hilarious. You guys are making everyone into channel cat experts!

Sounds like fun. I wasn't questioning you're keeping count. Just relaying what it can be like during a cat storm. wink

No worries my friend, I didn't take it that way at all smile I can't wait to get up there again and try a different spot or two, now that I know a little bit about what to look for (thanks to a couple awesome guys on here!!)

Thanks for all the great info on this thread. I will be trying my luck tomorrow for the first time in 2 years.

looks like the weather is not going to be good for Saturday. I was coming up but with winds predicted to be at a constance 25MPH with gusts to 40MPH I think I will be rescheduling a trip to horseshoe for sometime in Feburuary.

Oh come on Brad, the Chain is one of the more sheltered systems I can think of grin. The place I showed you is good for winds coming from the South or West. There are tons of places that have North wind protection. If you wait for the perfect day, you might be waiting for a looong time wink

Planning on being out there for a pretty good chunk of the day tomorrow. Big clam six pack hub. Sounds like it's gonna be a nice day

Was just at the meth hole. Caught 10 in an hour, all off chicken livers. I moved to the south end to try to catch supper.

Don

Don, was that you with the wheeler with black box on back? I was in the blue clam yukon, set up by the other blue house Caught 9 cats, light bite today

Sitting at the meth hole area and there is 16-18. I drove my full size Dodge right out. Liver on red frostie is working for us. Slowed down in the last hour but better then crappie fishing any day.

Strange bite today. Got out there around 1, caught 10 or so cats in the first hour or so then it turned into a dead see. Ended up with 12 or so cats and a few crappies. Fished in about 42 feet of water. Liver seemed to slightly outdo minnow heads.

The only way I can describe the bite I had tonight was insane.

From 3-4pm I caught a half a dozen or so, but when it struck 4, I had 3 solid hours of dropping it down and setting the hook. I simply could not catch them any faster than what I was. I have no idea how many I caught, but toward the end of the night, I was timing it and it took approx 2-3 minutes to drop down, have a bite, reel in fish, unhook and rebait. So based on that, I'm guessing somewhere around 60-70 fish.

I had a couple of things happen to me that really blew my mind. The first was that I happened to be resetting my bobber stop and I dropped down a unbaited jig and while I was setting the stop I felt one hit so I set the hook with my hand. I caught the fish, but was sure i must have just fouled hooked it. Nope, right in the upper lip. I was like...no way. So just to see if it was a fluke I dropped it down again and caught another one right away. I thought hey, who needs bait! Well there must have been some remaining scent on it because I could'nt catch any more without bait after that.

The second thing was that it was so fast I pulled up my second line because it was way too much trouble. As I was pulling it in I got hit on my other line, so I just left it where it was (about 2-3ft under the ice). It sat there all night, and I knew it was right near the top because I seen it come up on the flasher. Well at one point I was dropping down with my main line and out of the corner of my eye I spot the other one get hit. I was like W T F? grin I set the hook and pulled up a cat. I couldn't believe how high it came up to get that thing!

Again, I would suggest exploring new areas. That Meth hole has been seeing a lot of pressure and from the reports I've seen the bite has been showing. The spot I was at you could see quite a bit of the lake and NOT ONE other person, vehicle, or shack anywhere in sight.

Here's a shot of the Tornado I had for 3 hours. smile Fish stacked from about 22 to 40ft.

017_zpsc12052a3.jpg

We'll be going out tomorrow, first time on the chain for cats. White tundra with an old clam tent.

Wish us luck and stop by if you like.

DTro I really couldn't describe the bite any better. Although I did have bait on every drop..... wish I would have tried just scent alone. I needed time in between battles to gather my thoughts on quite a few I landed yesterday(25"+), so having that time to re bait was alright. As far as fishing with 2 rods... that would have just ended up to be a big mess. Fishing with 1 rod is all a guy could handle yesterday. The screen on my Vex was the same from 2-4 pm. But by sundown the fish were gone. I landed close to 30, after I finally dialed in what was the presentation they wanted, and probably lost about a dozen. Fantastic Action.

Fishing away from the crowds is a big key I'm surprised so many people don't figure out....Lots of good areas out there that are holding fish. Go explore!

PM if you want to meet up sometime.

grin

Tried a new spot today. Nothing near me. Was fishing for wallys. Iced 4 to eat and threw 4 back and lost a bunch on the way up.

Then about 8:30 the wallys moved out and the cats moved in caught a 3 pounder and the screen was active and decided to call it a day(and the cat ate my last minnow). Have no doubt if I switched from live to dead bait or livers I could have caught a bunch, but like I said I was there for wallys and got a good meal or 2.

I will go back and get the kitties another time.

Don

Genofish,

That is my wheeler with the black box on the back. I have a blue one man clam and a 6 man red hub.

• Official Fishing Report Team - MN

Like I have preached for yrs dont get locked down at the meth hole there are alot of places out there that hold cats. Do some exploreing and you will surprise yourself! I am glad some of you guys are hitting some big schools. High numbers are posssible if you put in some time and effort. Back in the day when me and a couple of locals were the first to target these ice cats 100 plus fish days were common. Granted the word has spread and groves have came but this system still holds huge numbers and big number fish days like DTRO and a few others have found can and will happen when everything come together. Hopefully some of the rest of you get to experiance a day or days like this because once you do you will be hooked! smile