• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Cattin the Chain 2013

First time I've ever used an entire tub of livers too. crazy

Thats cuz the cat "folk" in that area are not used to seeing anything alive....instead they are just used to waiting for the partially decomposed remnants to "sweeten" up and float on by grin

• Replies 525
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Rick G

• DTro

• aanderud

• Horseshoe_Don

Thats cuz the cat "folk" in that area are not used to seeing anything alive....instead they are just used to waiting for the partially decomposed remnants to "sweeten" up and float on by grin

LOL, I just spit pop all over my screen grin That's too funny!

[color:#FF0000][color:#33CC00]

if all works out and the weather cooperates I may make the run up on the 19th. I will be driving a maroon Tahoe with HSO decals on the rear side windows, stop by and say hi and fish awhile if you see my truck.

Brad.

Are you planning to drive your Tahoe on the lake this weekend? is ice thick enough for such a big vehicle?...

I am planning a trip to HorseShoe this coming weekend also, but not sure if i should drive the surburban out on the lake or should i use the sled?

Soft.

DTro sounds great and I'll be looking for the video!

Brad N I will for sure look for your truck. I'm gonna start at the meth hole and go from their as I depict the lake map for spots

Thinking about heading out there either Friday afternoon or Saturday this week to try my hand at some cats. First time out for them this year. Might try to fish em on tip-ups. Anybody ever had success fishing them that way?

There are days when tip ups might be all right, but more often than not there tend to be a lot of light biting fish. The days that they're being aggressive enough to actually set off a tip up -- those are the days that I can't even stop long enough to drink a soda in the house, let alone run around the countryside manning flags.

It might be all right when in search mode for those roaming schools, however. No better way to be in two spots at once.

Are you planning to drive your Tahoe on the lake this weekend? is ice thick enough for such a big vehicle?...

I am planning a trip to HorseShoe this coming weekend also, but not sure if i should drive the surburban out on the lake or should i use the sled?

Soft.

I drove a Yukon out with my 2000lb wheelhouse in tow. Stay on the road and you will be fine.

Thanks for the video DTro. Really good info for beginners. Funny you should mention the tough mouths that the cats have... Two of the fish I caught on my last trip had broken off red hooks stuck in their upper lip. Figured they didnt need any "bling" so I removed them. wink

Do you typically smoke em just like you would a sucker or carp where you cut off the head and gut em?

good to hear people are still getting into them, hopefully i will catch some at the GTG, i need to break my skunk streak.

Do you typically smoke em just like you would a sucker or carp where you cut off the head and gut em?

Welcome to HSO, ThePundsack88!

I have never smoked fish before so we handed them off to someone with more expertise in the art of smoking. I would guess it's dome the same way, all he asked is we cut the heads off and gut them for prep.

I have always filleted them, leave the skin on, and smoke. I suppose you might get some more flavor out of the bones, but unlike suckers, you have an option, and personally would rather not pick through them.....

pushbutton when you fillet and smoke does the exposed meat dry out alot.

I've smoked a few but have always left the skin on but I hang them by the tail end to allow the moisture to run out.

i will have to try your way.

they are good smoked and can be used many different ways

I tend to like mine a little drier so I suppose it does smile ultimately though, temperature, using a glaze or not, and length of smoke will also dictate how dry or moist. One thing for sure to do is let the fish sit out for like an hour after brining and rinsing in order to form the "pellicle layer". This will both act as an agent for smoke adhesion and help keep moisture in. Another thin you can do if you like a moister end product is to do butterfly fillet leaving the skin and fold them inward when hanging. I generally rack and glaze mine.

Generally will try to use that 1 1/2 to 2 1/2 lb fish for best results

nice vid Dtro. i want to learn and start cat fishin. coming up from shakopee. where on the horseshoe should i start searching? how deep? do the like flats or sharp breaks? any info is appreciated! thanks

nice vid Dtro. i want to learn and start cat fishin. coming up from shakopee. where on the horseshoe should i start searching? how deep? do the like flats or sharp breaks? any info is appreciated! thanks

Lol, I would start at page 1 of this topic. Everything you ever wanted to know is already provided wink

Nsnutter, it was good to meet you out there this afternoon, that was a pretty fun day thanks to someone wink
Hey Rick, great to meet you too! What an absolute blast up there!! We left at 8:30ish with a total of 111 channels caught, we still had 20 feet thick of fish that weren't slowing down, but we had to call it at some point lol. I had a dog that needed to eat .... Next time he I coming with us haha. I have a feeling if we stayed out we could've hit 200! I won't forget that night for a long, long time.

I couldn't rebait my second rod for around 2 and a half hours lol. Chicken liver almost exclusively were the ticket .... We didn't even bother glowing our jigs, just dropped the line down and pulled it back up with a fish attached haha.

Are there any areas of ice that I should be concerned about out of the winter access? Driving a mid-sized SUVs. Thanks in advance!

Even with the lack of snow, you can still see where people have been driving. From the winter access to the meth hole area is fine.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

Hey Rick, great to meet you too! What an absolute blast up there!! We left at 8:30ish with a total of 111 channels caught, we still had 20 feet thick of fish that weren't slowing down, but we had to call it at some point lol. I had a dog that needed to eat .... Next time he I coming with us haha. I have a feeling if we stayed out we could've hit 200! I won't forget that night for a long, long time.

I couldn't rebait my second rod for around 2 and a half hours lol. Chicken liver almost exclusively were the ticket .... We didn't even bother glowing our jigs, just dropped the line down and pulled it back up with a fish attached haha.

Those nights are a lot of fun sometimes it gets so busy that it's impossible to keep count. Been a while since I've had one like that though.

Nice Work!

any problems getting a wheel house onto the ice from the winter access, like a step hill or anything like that, that might hang me up?

has anybody ever spend the night out there?

like to make the get together if iam in town, but would also like to spend the night.

any input would be great

thanks

I know last year towards the end of january/beginning of february the winter access got kinda steep, had a pretty interesting time getting a trailer down it behind a wheeler. But i havent been out there this year yet to be able to say anything for sure

• Official Fishing Report Team - MN

No problem getting a wheel house down this yr. A overnight stay is a good option out there, you should be able to get a mix bag of cats craps and eyes good luck!

Those nights are a lot of fun sometimes it gets so busy that it's impossible to keep count. Been a while since I've had one like that though.

Nice Work!

The guy I was fishing with had never fished for catfish before, so between his and my excitement, it was pretty easy to keep track of the running total. He even got the big fish of the night, somewhere between 25"-27" and thick! I think it's safe to say he'll be hooked on cats from now on!