• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Road Hunting...

waligators

Talk to locals and get their opinion. Growing up on the iron range, we road hunt all the time for grouse. We do it because grouse hunting to us really isn't hunting, it's gathering good tasting meat. When I take a trip to go pheasant hunting though, I would never jump out and kill a bird that I saw on the way to the spot we were going to hunt. It cheapens the experience. Alot of farmers that ive talked to that live in pheasant country feel the same. They'll blast a pheasant off the ground that's sitting behind the silo but they won't road hunt for grouse when they're in MN.

Yeah, I think this petty bickering about what is or isn't sportsman like in our minds, what other sportsmen should or shouldn't be doing and the large number of nuisance phonecalls to the TIP hotline from cowardly sportsmen too affraid to confront others and actually ask them what they are up to really divides us and plays into the hands of the anti-hunting/animal rights activists. Our numbers are dwindling and this childish behavior from certain people who are upset that you or I don't hunt in exactly the same manner as they do is not going to benefit any of us.

I agree james but in today's world I think its wise to be cautious about confronting someone else especially when weapons are involved. You never know what someone might do.

Having read the arguments on where a person can and can't shoot from while "road/ditch" hunting I have come to this conclusion. Everyone knows you cannot discharge a firearm on or across a "road right-of-way" which in most cases includes the area to the centerline of the ditch, and in some cases even further. And in most cases that same centerline is where private property begins. So unless a person has permission to hunt the ditch they are trespassing. (remember AG land including CRP doesn't need to be posted)

from the handbook--

"Road right-of-way

Some road right-of-ways are not owned by a unit of government.

In these instances the landowner has granted an easement for vehicle

and foot travel. The landowner generally retains authority to restrict

access for hunting or trapping and may prohibit trespass by posting

the land or by verbally directing hunters and trappers to leave the

easement. It’s always best to ask permission if in doubt about the ownership of a road ditch area. County or township offices also may be

able to help determine the ownership status of a road ditch."

I'd have to disagree with you there nine-tiner. If the ditch is not privately owned and you know for a fact that it is not privately owned...you can hunt that ditch legally without permission and you would not be trespassing.

So you're saying that ALL roadside ditches are privately owned , even the ones that aren't.

Maybe I'm reading that wrong in your post.

CaptinMusky I was just saying that if I didnt have a dog I wouldnt pheasant hunt, never did I say that anyone without a dog shouldnt pheasant hunt.

So how do you know you are legally hunting a ditch? How do you know where that imaginary line is between being legal and tresspassing? This is what I'm getting at. You say you are legal, but no one seems to know any rules on the subject. So does everyone contact the county or township to verify that the ditch they just saw a rooster run into is huntable? No they dont, they just get out, load up and go after it not knowing who might be deer hunting close by, who's property it is, how far they can go onto that property legally, etc....

I really have no problem with someone walking a ditch. Its the whole driving around till you see a rooster I think is lazy IMO.

It reads "most" ditches.

I assume that unless the ditch is adjacent to PUBLIC land it would be privately owned.

They would be legally hunting it if they are not within the road right of way, not on posted land (or nonposted ag land) or on public land. Seems pretty clear to me. Definition of right of way varies by type of road, so you have to do your research BEFORE you do it.

Like I said, I dont road hunt anymore and the only times I did it in the past was when I was going from spot to spot. I never just drove around looking for birds.

You can also legally walk county and judicial ditches in certain areas of the state, but you better look it up by county before hand to be sure because they can be considered "public" as well.

FYI - there are guys that strictly walk road ditches (ie road hunting) vs the driving around type looking for a bird and jumping out to shoot type you are referring to.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but there is no grey area between the edge of the road right of way and private land. So if you cant shoot on the right of way, and cant shoot on private land that you dont have permission for, where exactly is it legal to shoot a bird?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but there is no grey area between the edge of the road right of way and private land. So if you cant shoot on the right of way, and cant shoot on private land that you dont have permission for, where exactly is it legal to shoot a bird?

Public land, private land you have permission to hunt. Still seems pretty clear to me.

I think a lot of people make a ton of assumptions about people who are road hunting. How do you know if they have permission to be there or not? Many probably dont, but there are actually law following hunters out there however few that may be.

Only on public land and private land you have permission for. Thank you.
So by your logic should we stop hunting all together because of deer stand accidents or some hunters getting accidentally shot?

I mean, you are saying making road hunting illegal right? If you see someone breaking the rules, call TIP. I guess I dont see your point in all of this. My point is also that many people ASSume that they see someone driving down the road, see a pheasant jump out to shoot it that they do not have permission to hunt there. Many cases they may not, but its also possible they do.

If you have a problem with it call the DNR and have them vet it out.

Adding more rules, etc I dont think solves the problem. Those that break the law will still break the law.

Its illegal to hunt without a license. Some still dont buy one.

Its illegal to hunt upland birds without an article of blaze orange above their waist. Some still dont wear any.

You cant fix stupid no matter how many laws/rules you put out there.

The vast majority of hunters do not take the time to go to the courthouse to see if a road ditch is privately owned or not. Until you have taken that step, you have absolutely no way of knowing the land ownership of the ditch. If you hunt that ditch without knowing the ownership, it is unethical in my opinion at the very least and may very well be illegal as well. To say nothing about damaging landowner relations. Why not just ask for permission? Many people still say yes believe it or not.

To say nothing about damaging landowner relations. Why not just ask for permission? Many people still say yes believe it or not.
I agree with you 100%.

Just my two cents!! If its illegal to shot over or from the right of way and private land begins where the right of way ends. Unless you have permission from adjacent land owner and are standing out of right of way, road hunting is illegal. Correct me if I am wrong.

Again guys, keep in mind these are probably locals you see road hunting. I knew every mile of my surrounding woods, who owned what, what was public and private, and the landowners wife's maiden name. smile same with pheasants. Those locals know all the people in the area. They're friends with most of em. And they know what land they can and can not hunt. I doubt many people pay all the $ it takes to hunt out of state or drive a couple hundred miles, stay at a hotel, etc. to ground pound birds out of their window. Sure there's a few bad eggs. Always has been, always will be. But unless you know FOR A FACT they're trespassing, leave us road hunters alone!!!

Just my two cents!! If its illegal to shot over or from the right of way and private land begins where the right of way ends. Unless you have permission from adjacent land owner and are standing out of right of way, road hunting is illegal. Correct me if I am wrong.

I am pretty sure this law is for big game only. Not positive though.

in regards to 'paved' roads

790.15 Discharging firearm in public.

(1) Except as provided in subsection (2) or subsection (3), any person who knowingly discharges a firearm in any public place or on the right-of-way of any paved public road, highway, or street or whosoever knowingly discharges any firearm over the right-of-way of any paved public road, highway, or street or over any occupied premises is guilty of a misdemeanor of the first degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082 or s. 775.083. This section does not apply to a person lawfully defending life or property or performing official duties requiring the discharge of a firearm or to a person discharging a firearm on public roads or properties expressly approved for hunting by the Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission or Division of Forestry.

(2) Any occupant of any vehicle who knowingly and willfully discharges any firearm from the vehicle within 1,000 feet of any person commits a felony of the second degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082, s. 775.083, or s. 775.084.

(3) Any driver or owner of any vehicle, whether or not the owner of the vehicle is occupying the vehicle, who knowingly directs any other person to discharge any firearm from the vehicle commits a felony of the third degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082, s. 775.083, or s. 775.084.

Was there a change in the law? I have searched the handbook and can't find the reference to taking game from a roadway anymore. For the longest time it was illegal to take grouse, pheasants, and such from a roadway but then a couple years ago the law was changed to allow it but now I can't find any reference to it again.

Perhaps it is once again illegal to discharge a firearm from a road right-of-way.

At any rate, to answer the OP, in my opinion if it is legal then I have no quarrel with those that do take advantage. I personally don't think it should be legal because of the potential danger to motorists and others using the roads but that's just my opinion.

In two years of hunting the Iron Range area, I have yet to run into another hunter walking in the woods. Everyone is out on the roads. Sure is nice having the woods to myself! Put up 7 yesterday.

You can take small game on "unimproved" roads with a shotgun. Road right if ways vary greatly but ALMOST all roads that are signed and/or named/numbered have some right of way. Like it or not, dirt road small game hunting is essentially legal.

I've shot plenty of grouse walking, plenty right on roads and trails with my vehicle still running, and I finally got my first hunting dog so I'm sure I'll shoot plenty behind him.

I have no qualms against any legal method of take.

so what do you do when the bird flies over the adjacent private property? how many folks dont shoot that bird? I know everyone that is going to respond says they never do, but in reality, it happens most of the time. More damage done to landowner relations by lazy hunters. I dont see why people cant ask permission? Why can't roadhunters take the time to do that? If they did, they would end up with all kinds of land to hunt.

Again guys, keep in mind these are probably locals you see road hunting.

As someone who grew up in western MN in the heart of pheasant country and someone who still farms and hunts in the area, I can say with all due respect that your statement is not accurate. If I count 10 vehicles "putzing" by while working in the field.....I guarantee I won't know who more than 1 or 2 is, and most times I won't know any of them. Pretty much everyone who is a "local" either has access to private land to hunt or just resorts to hunting public land during the week.

Let's just be honest, if you were a local and you had birds in close proximity every day all fall, do you really think (barring special circumstances) that you'd be driving down the road "hunting"? I can see the guys who aren't from the area wanting to shoot a few birds because they probably only get a few cracks at it each fall, but for the locals there's always tomorrow. Or next week.

Do I like road hunting? No.

Have I shot birds that we saw crawl into the road ditch? Yes.

Unless they ban shooting from the r/w I don't see how you can do anything about it.

And a doctor at some point in everyones life will recommend exercise. That's the very reason most road hunt so they don't have to exercise for some it's more about getting than hunting and the easier it is to get to the getting part the better. Same reason some bait deer, same reason ATV'ers like grouse, then there's the comfort level like my uncles 8k deer stand, at least if he don't get a deer he's in comfort, are you more comfortable in your vehicle or when you look back and your truck is a mile and a half away and you're soaked in sweat chasing roosters. That's the beauty about our country, we all can do what we want and hunt how we want.

Sticking a gun out the window and blasting a bird is not road hunting - it is poaching. Road hunting (to me anyhow) is driving gravel roads and when you see a bird, try to make a play on it if it is in a legal area to do so. As long as I have a dog I don't go after those birds as I would rather see my dog work. But since I have only had one dog at a time I would have a year in between dogs and I hunted that way. I feel no guilt or shame in it. I think BB hit it right on the head with his post.

This seems to be the an intelligent post on here.

If someone didn't have the dog, or the means to walk around even (call it a health issue), some on here would chastise them for setting up a play on a ditch chicken?

It's a pheasant guys...need to get that into perspective. And I'm certain those out "just killin" are eating what they take. Hopefully, as fivebucks stated, they are doing it legal and in a manner which doesn't harm anyone.

To all of you who have stated that people are willing to let you hunt if you ask, I would love to go pheasant hunting but have not since I do not have a place to hunt and dont want to spend the time and money to drive down and not have a place to go. Can I hunt at your place?