• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

2012 Trail Cam Thread

slimngrizzly

• Replies 572
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• slimngrizzly

• fr0sty

• sticknstring

• Bear55

am i blind where is the third?

It looking right, towards the other 2, blends in completely. Go to pic 2, locate it. Same place, further back. best I can do to describe it.

What experience do any of you have with videos? I have a Moultrie D55IR and have gotten a few good videos but I find that the camera will not trigger unless you or an animal comes within 3 feet of it. Moultrie says this could be due to low battery strength but I was registering in the 80%. It could be this is too low for videos.

I see they have a 12 volt solar panel power pack available but some say you really need direct sunlight for it to be effective. Is there any reason why a person could not just hook up a 12 volt motorcycle battery to the unit through the power port? Sounds a heck of a lot better than trying to run on a few flashlight batterys.

Checked mine today.

On Xmas day I got 3 pics of deer trotting/running during the middle of the day.

A lone doe, a group of 3, and a 2.5 yo old buck.

Interestingly, between Oct 26-Nov 2, I had certain rut activity.

Then on Nov 25 I believe, I got pics of deer moving during the day time.

And then on Dec 25, as noted above.... Probably activity related to a 3rd rut is my uneducated guess. smile

Its interesting been seeing a few bucks on the camera,the same ones I seen before deer season. Had one real big one before season on the camera,I have not seen him yet after season. I was hoping to pick him up,than pull the camera, knowing that he will be around next year. Antlers should start falling more regular now. Also do a walk around when checking camera for antler sheds. Never been very good at finding deer antlers.

What experience do any of you have with videos? I have a Moultrie D55IR and have gotten a few good videos but I find that the camera will not trigger unless you or an animal comes within 3 feet of it. Moultrie says this could be due to low battery strength but I was registering in the 80%. It could be this is too low for videos.

I see they have a 12 volt solar panel power pack available but some say you really need direct sunlight for it to be effective. Is there any reason why a person could not just hook up a 12 volt motorcycle battery to the unit through the power port? Sounds a heck of a lot better than trying to run on a few flashlight batterys.

We have a older I-50 moultrie cam and another new D55 IRX up over 2 different corn sites..the older one runs on D batteries, newer one on C batteries. Had the newer one up with new batteries in during cold temps and lasted 4 days with 330 pics, vid mode off. Big old moultrie had new batteries put in as well and is 65% battery life left after 1,100 pics/vids.. Videos were good.. So I don't know what the deal is with the D-55? And all pics on the D-55 were daytime as well.

I agree Quack my old D moultrie always has battery life left, 1 set for the year basically and my new one runs on 8 AA's and I'm on set number 3 with no video etc. I guess make sure October 10th-November 10th have full fresh batteries.

In my research so far it sounds like a person can hook up any 12 volt battery to the external power port. I see you can buy a third party battery pack with a battery that is similar to the ones they use in the Vexilar flashers. I am going to try and find a plug that fits the unit from Radio Shack and give it a try to see if it makes any difference on the trigger distance, which has been my problem. Otherwise I am going to send it in to Moultrie.

HOLY!!!! Isn't that the one youre gonna shoot next year james?? wink

I have lots of shed bucks on camera but they all look small. The shed hunting has been slim and I dont know what has happened? Theyre in hiding I guess!

My old moultrie I saw -4 I believe or so a few times, 20 below I don't know, I think my new camera the batteries would just be toast below freezing most likely.

My reconyx hc600 takes pics at -20. I will dig some up when I get home. It uses lithium ion aa batteries. They last all year with thousands of pics too.

Frosty think I'm heading in the swamp this weekend, mom's b-day etc. Have you guys checked your t-cams lately ? I highly doubt any have shed yet, but you never know, generally after Valentines day according to my footage from many years, when shedding time comes frosty you're more than welcome to take your dog on my land also to find sheds and keep them of course, I'd sure like to see them if you find any but that isn't necessary either, good luck. smile

I was up the end of December. Only a couple bucks, all with head gear. Wasn't much action this year in there. I think having corn planted in all the fields around it next year should change that.

Thanks for the invite! I appreciate it. I think we are going to be up the 26th or so and bring the dog with. Hopefully she will find something crazy Any I find I will for sure let you see.

I've got multiple shed bucks on camera right now

Thanks,It been a week since I checked mine camera and bucks seen all had antlers,the shedding must be picking up steam.