• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Lake Vermilion Fishing Reports by Casey's Guide Service (Everything else too)

Partyonpine,

The past 3 weeks we caught a couple of pike every time out. Nothing this week!

Cliff

• Thumbs Up 2

I am yet to see Mark on the lake this year and yet we are finding the same patterns, so get out and just fish.

I agree Casey, there are so many spots on this lake that hold fish, we could fish an entire season and not run into each other. I've been trying to avoid boat traffic by fishing time periods when not so many people are fishing. You kind of get locked in to that 8:00-1:00 time slot and I've been spending more time in the 4:00-9:00 period. Both work, but fewer boats and more obscure destinations have made my season much more enjoyable.

Actually, it's forced me to find "new" spots and, up to this point, they've been working pretty well. That area where your flicker shads  have worked so well in the past( you know, out in front of that little cabin) should light up real soon now and I'm sure we will run into each other in that area. In the meantime, continued success and....

Good Fishing,

MarkB:) 

• Thumbs Up 2

We had a group up last weekend (we come once a year) and we too set a record on rock bass.  Not what we were hoping for.  Walleye bite was slow, but we had one boat of clowns that caught quite a few slot fish sitting on the edge of a small rock pile.  We marked a ton of fish on the down-slope of the rock piles and reefs but they wouldn't bite.  We caught quite a few 20" - 31"  pike casting spoons and spinners in the shallow bays.  Should've switched to that sooner as we had a great time with it, and it stopped the rock bass from driving me insane.  

• 2 weeks later...

Na, these were from the other day, the first day of the slot fish bonanza. We have been boating a few a day but definitely not like those two days, that was incredible. Found some new fish today so that was nice! The fly hatch is not making fishing impossible but I've seen it a heck of a lot easier!  Good luck out there.

Casey

• 2 weeks later...

Casey any new reports? I saw your YouTube report from last week. Curious if minnows are the way to go. I've been up since Saturday and I suck

Neptune,

Occasionally minnows will work when nothing else seems to get hit! The rest of the time they suck this time of the year! :D

1/2 crawler on a 4 or 5 foot lindy has been my best presentation yet.

Cliff

Haha thanks cliff. You don't use blades on your rigs right? I never seem to have luck with that on Vermilion.

Haha thanks cliff. You don't use blades on your rigs right? I never seem to have luck with that on Vermilion.

​No blades.

Cliff

Does anyone have luck with blades on the V?   They work so well on other lakes but I have caught a few but take it off and you catch more fish.  Any thoughts as to why?  

I am headed up to the west end this weekend, does anyone have a bass report at all? I would also gladly take any walleye advice on depths/presentations that anyone would be able to offer up!

I recently married into a family that has a cabin in the Wakemup Narrows and have spent a few weekends up there this summer trying to figure out the West end with limited success. Any help provided is greatly appreciated!

djlong,

I have had good success with blades in July and August  at times. Just do not get around to using them much. Probably would work on most days if used with the right baits and trolled at the right speed in the right location! Right?:D

I forgot to mention that blades have worked best for me when used with bottom bouncers!

Cliff

Edited by Cliff Wagenbach
  • Thumbs Up 1

I used blades last week one day for an hour and had 3 fish over 20" and lost a giant to. Couple years ago we really did well late in July on small silver spinners. 

I am headed up to the west end this weekend, does anyone have a bass report at all? I would also gladly take any walleye advice on depths/presentations that anyone would be able to offer up!

I recently married into a family that has a cabin in the Wakemup Narrows and have spent a few weekends up there this summer trying to figure out the West end with limited success. Any help provided is greatly appreciated!

Walleye advice...go east or go bass fishing.

wakeup narrows to Frazier isn't to far.  As for bass, rock  piles and Texas rigged swim Senko (4 inch, small sinker) is what I am mostly using.   Pike are also fun.

• Thumbs Up 1

Exactly what Cliff said.  July & August behind a bottom bouncer & sometimes surprisingly shallow in the evening has put some walleyes in the boat for us

Great pics Casey!

The boys,(and you), appear to be having a great time!

Cliff

• Thumbs Up 1

• 1 month later...

Crooked pictures but the fishing is straight awesome.. The last couple weeks have been lights out.. The first major August cold fronts have come and the fishing is only going to heat up.. Fall patterns are approaching. The water temps are 68. Good luck out there. For some ((as told to me by Phil Bakken, FWP guide service) and probably the entire Lake Vermilion Guides League..) no luck is required :). Hope to see you this fall. 

Casey

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Thumbs Up 3

Casey why is the picture of you the only one right side up! :D

You sir solved the mystery! It was the only iPhone photo I edited before posting! Took out the background...

Thanks

Casey

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Looks like it's been a while! Sorry! Fall fishing was fantastic. Thank you all for your support in 2015 and Merry Christmas..

Casey

• 1 month later...

Still not a ton of ice on some area lakes have heard of a truck going through in Eveleth, and a guy breaking through an inch on an area lake that had Atv and snowmobile tracks. I found open water today on B side which isn't uncommon but there isn't a ton of ice out there.. Trout lakes in Canada some of them have almost 2 feet with far less snow cover. With quite a bit of snow in the forecast expect slush in spots and be careful!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BJUxEmF8C44

• Thumbs Up 1