• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

2012 Fish House Build

Lip_Ripper Guy

[Please Read Forum Policy Before Posting Again, Thank You]

I will see him this weekend and ask him about the siding if I think of it and get back to you.

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Lip_Ripper Guy

• BartmanMN

• SnowGuy73

• RiverChuckNorris

From following his build he did do a over lap with some thinner tape on the seams.

[Please Read Forum Policy Before Posting Again, Thank You]

RA, I overlapped as LRG did using the same 3M VHB tape. I used 3/4" and he used 1" tape I believe. It works well, just get a few buddies lined up to help hang the sheets, it doesn't move once it sticks.

Jake, you do realize the blower ones(Suburban) require electricity to run. Everybody I know went back to your old style or at least a small direct vent when they didn't want the noisy fan going or their generator running.

I have a suburban forced air and it works great. I built a box with soundproof insulation around the furnace. I barely notice the thing running and it nicely heats a 8x16 +3V.

• 2 weeks later...

LRG,

I'm curious how you are bending your corners? Are you using a metal brake or just a straight edge and bending by hand?

LRG,

I'm curious how you are bending your corners? Are you using a metal brake or just a straight edge and bending by hand?

Metal brake. There's no way you'd get it even and straight without one.

Nice solid house !! I just skimmed through fast , did you insulate the floor ? I may have missed that part ..

Nice solid house !! I just skimmed through fast , did you insulate the floor ? I may have missed that part ..

Thanks! Everything is spray foamed with 2"+.

I'm ready to see pics of this on the ice with Fish in it.

Haha. I'll see what I can dig up tomorrow. I've spent 11 nights in the fish house since 12/23. It's been a good season so far...lots of fish slime on the carpet after 5 days on Red Lake.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Jessie, Nice to bump into you four this weekend. You were saying you blow up your computer fan every time you use your power vent solenoid. Brushless computer fans have sensitive electronics in them and the vent coil puts out a big inductive kick (spike)when it powers off. There is a fix using a "snubber" diode shown below. It's literally a $0.10 fix, any Radio Shack or Digikey online sell these. Get a part # 1N4148 diode and install it across the power to the vent coil. The striped end goes to the positive lead and the other side goes to ground. If you install it the other way it with release all of it's magic smoke and blow up. It's a super simple fix. Since the spike is coming from the coil that's where you want to put it as close to the coil as feasible.

Ferny.

SnubberDiode_zpsf87d226a.jpg

Hey Ferny! I was hoping you or Loogie would get in touch. Heck of a good time was had with you guys! Sorry I couldn't make it out after the contest...I was in rough shape from a couple dozen beers and needed a nap.

Appreciate the advice on the fan. I'll pick up one of those diodes and give it a whirl.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm ready to see pics of this on the ice with Fish in it.

It's been a good year so far! Been to Red, Gull, Mille Lacs, Cedar, Lexington, and two unnamed lakes for over 2,000 miles on the house, and a bunch of fish. We've had over a dozen walleyes between 25-28.5".

A 25.5"

843104_10151299298807879_738150690_o_zps

A 26"

D76722C8-EE44-4965-B3C1-25C122598F32-484

A 28"

2E57582E-6380-4F12-9449-B8E46BF2436C-484

This monster from Gull...bit on a shiner that was almost the same size as the fish

B7F29091-A134-4107-867C-66F7B979EB3D-484

First time ice fishing for my nephew

D3FC63BB-04F2-487E-85E9-9A85EADFC132-484

Brother in law with his personal best walleye

F03970DE-5691-429E-B9D5-870FD166EE39-484

Which I re-caught 5 hours later

EE9CA023-7B07-4526-896E-95AFADF9BD56-484

13.5" Perch

6C1821AB-E222-43E3-9832-E67A2CA2C9A8-484

Red Lake

D5B59153-B7C3-454C-962E-B5104D3AE76E-484

The size fish that brought 500+ fish houses to Cedar Lake

09F3723E-DC42-4A61-A009-0E69FA94CA64-484

Happy fishing!

Rod storage in the bunk is a great idea.

The rod holder works great. I wasn't sure the rods would stay up there going across the lake, but only a short 24" rod has fallen down.

The only thing I've found I would do differently would be to not use black Melamine for the top of the bunk in the back, for two reasons. 1) It swells a little bit, making it a super tight fit to drop my table top down. 2) The edging has a tendency to chip off. This will get changed out this summer.

One of the funny common themes I've seen this year is when people stop over, the first thing they do is take a look in the bathroom, and ask something along the lines of "doesn't this stink bomb the place?". The little vent must circulate a lot of air, because there has never been an issue, and believe me...it's had it's share of usage.

• 5 months later...

How many amps are your LED lights? And if you did it again would you use the same lights?

200 mA.

These are the best lights I've used/seen. Wouldn't do it any different.

Lip_Ripper Guy,

You built a very nice house. Thanks for posting pictures and details of the build.

I seen what looks like a fan and a vent in the picture you posted of the bathroom.

Is this something you made or bought? Where did you get it?

Thanks.

Thanks!

It is a vent to the exterior with an electronic motor to open it at the same time the light switch is flipped. Purchased from the online auction site.

Well LRG, it looks like the season is starting and you're back to being our resident go to guy. My frame will be done in a couple weeks so get ready for 1000 questions, heres the first couple-Why didn't you run the flooring to the edges of the frame? I see you put the walls up and then sheeted. I'm guessing the 3/4 in material has adequate strength, but did you get any flex around the edges. #2- did you frame the wheel/tire boxes as tight as you could on your crank up houses or is it best to leave a couple extra inches? Was the cost of the alluminum roof anywhere near rubber and was it easy to bend the edges (or flush, I've never seen that done before). I've built many houses over time but never a full 8 ft with wheel boxes, nobody cared in the past about an extra foot on width.

1) My frame is actually 8'2" wide. The 1"x2" bottom plate for the wall framing is stood on end (on the 1" side), as opposed to the 2" side. This allows the full length & width 23/32" Advantech to slide under, leaving a 1"+ gap for wiring along the floor. The plywood does overlap the outer framing pieces by 1" on each side for support.

2) Framing your wheel wells will be dependent on how your frame is built. I made mine as small as they could be, since there is no need to get in there for anything. Is your frame hydraulic or crank?

3) The aluminum roof was definitely more expensive. I did it for the weight savings, which was substantial. The roof itself was $480, the trim $256, several rolls of 3m VHB tape to hold it on (price will vary based on your supplier, but around $400 if you pay retail), and about $120 in stainless screws for the trim. I would only do the aluminum roof if you are doing your framing the way I did (metal studs), and with the same trim.

The roof is super easy to install. First you clean all the metal studs with an alcohol based cleaner and Scotch Brite, install the 3m VHB on all the studs, then you get the big aluminum roll up there. I put sand bags on the edges for a day or so to help uncoil it. Once everything is lined up perfectly (there are no second chances with the tape), you go one stud at a time peeling off the tape backing. You want one person up top with a heavy duty paint roller to put pressure on the aluminum, and two inside to help peel the tape backing.

The edge is a bit tricky. We had to take off about 1" on everything to keep the roof from sticking below the trim. I used an air nibbler from Harbor Freight (for this, and all aluminum cutting). They are like $30. Get two, just in case. Then you go up on the roof with a rubber mallet, and hit down, bending the roof over the top of the framing and siding. Siding seams and corners may need a little more "english" to get a good bend.

You'll need a good drill and lots patience for installing all the stainless screws in the trim.

Have fun!

several rolls of 3m VHB tape to hold it on (price will vary based on your supplier, but around $400 if you pay retail)

VHB tape is awesome. I used it building my house after seeing one of LRG's builds. If you know anyone with a business account at Granger, you will save a ton on the tape. I have a friend that works for a large company that does a ton of business with Granger. I used his company's account and saved 40%.