• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

New AIS law

harvey lee

i wish people who are complaining about stickers and other things like taking classes mentioned in some article would call the people in charge of this program. i called for the price of the sticker--16cents each. i called about some classes people are talking about--there are no such classes required i was told. Geeez--why dont people just buy your licence, get your stickers, follow the law, and go fishing. if you have a problem go round up all the "stickeranti's" head down to the capitol and demonstrate. for me nothing will change. i will go fishing and enjoy every minute of it. good luck.

$0.16 each may seem like small potatoes but with approximately 840,000 boats registered in MN that adds up to about $135,000.00 in annual revenue. I wonder how much more effective it would be to use that money toward additional help or research?

• Replies 414
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• harvey lee

• Scott K

• reinhard1

• James_R

as far as the bottom of the sticker' date=' it says right on the bottom portion of the sticker "cut below and place bottom portion on trailer near winch". so maby some conservation people need to take a class. a lot of this stuff right now is obviously confusing to many of us right now as this program is starting up.

quote']

You do not need to attach the bottom part to the trailer, it is recommended to do so, that way you may see it and remember to put your drain plug in before you launch again. That is the bad part about the sticker is the only directions that are on it are for the bottom part which is optional.

ya, you would think the braintrust who designed this would have a few words on the top of the sticker stating where to place it. just says must be attached to the boat. at that point the questions begin as stated in many previous posts on this issue. i actualy like the bottom of the sticker. there are a few times i appreciate the reminder to put the plug back in the boat. i dont think i have ever forgotton to pull the plug. good luck.

someone wanted to know what the stickers cost, so i found out and posted it. i agree with the waste of money on this but it is what it is and they have been printed so at this point i can live with it. but i cant live with future stickers and especialy being treated like a child with these classes proposed in the conference report. i would think many anglers would call their reps a give them a earfull. just another government program they are trying to slide in there. good luck.

At 16 cents a boat to make sure everyone has the information it seems cheap to me. Some need to quit P&M and put the stickers where ever they want and live with it.

.16 seems cheap. But add in the remaining costs of the stickers. Shipping them to varios places, trining for the CO's, the many phone calls, etc..

840,000 is just the registered boats, that doesnt include duck boats, paddle boats, rafts, other floaties they are saying it needs them. Even if it JUST $135,000 that the stickers cost, and I highly doubt that, that is what, 3-4 more CO's they could pay their salaries with.

Then you have to add in the new trailer sticker, the cost of this class/course, the boat washes, people to man the car washes and inspections. How much "EXTRA" money they have laying around for these project? Just remember, this isnt going to prevent anything, just maybe slow it down. MAYBE!

RH, I appreciate the fact you are getting info about this, and being the AIS spokesman of sort, and I apolagize if any of my comments seem harsh towards you, or anyone else, other then the GOVT, and the DNR that support this be-es.

The actual cost of all these new rules may not actually be seen for a couple years, when fishermen stop fishing, and boating because of the hassle. Wait until they start handing out tickets to your 4 time a year fishermen. Then we will start seeing the loss of revenue from license sales, boat tabs, etc.. But thats ok, they can then just raise the cost up more so the remaining have to pay for it.

At 16 cents a boat to make sure everyone has the information it seems cheap to me. Some need to quit P&M and put the stickers where ever they want and live with it.

You think this sticker is going to train anyone? Or stop them from doing the things they have done all along?

If you get the sticker from your local DMV, or bait shop etc.. they tell you, you have to put this on your boat, so you do, what did you learn from it? Nothing! I may seem totally against this, and I am, but I actually am careful to not transfer stuff to other waters. I know what s good, and bad, and I do care. I know what the intention, and the laws are. Just think about your average fishermen that doesnt go online and talk on fishing boards, or pick up the yearly 100+ page rule book, and growing daily may I add, that dont read it. How is this sticker going to do them any good? They will slap the sticker on their boat, maybe, then fish as usual. That is why I think eduacation is the best way, not some stupid sticker, or stickers, which it looks like that is the DNR's way of dealing with laws now. It is a good thing the DMV doesnt do that with cars, we wouldnt have to have paint, because the car would be covered with stickers for each law.

i'm more worried for what's ahead. my posts have only been "favorable" with this program [as it stands today] because it seems to be set and there is little we can do about it except live with it.

as it stands it realy wont dissrupt anything for me. do the basics, put the famouse sticker on and enjoy my time out. however this proposed class and more stickers on the way [every three years] as i read it is not going to cut it with me. i have helped a few campaines over the years and now it's time for these candidates to deal with this issue before it gets out of hand.

money has been spent and wasted on some of this in my opinion. but that's history now. now we look at the future. i will not support anymore stickers, classes, or roadside checks. we have all been informed with plenty of signs at the landing, with stickers, with information in the regs, and now with more people checking us at landings. if after all of that and someone doesn't pull the plug or drain their livewells, or pull excess visable weeds off their trailer than ticket them but leave the rest of us alone in the future.

good luck.

How many languages are all these initiatives printed on anyway? If someone cant understand it, its not gonna do much good either. Example: regs book :-/

As we know there are probably many more English speaking sportsmen that just choose to not read or disregard. In any case, there lots of holes. It's cool though because theres other people's money to waste to make some desk jockies and lake associations feel good.

BOOM! There is the answer everyone is looking for right there. Hold everybody acountable from now on.

Place the sticker and if you cant follow the law pay the fine no warning. And if you go to court to try and fight it the judge can laugh from now on because of AIS stickers.

The actual cost of all these new rules may not actually be seen for a couple years, when fishermen stop fishing, and boating because of the hassle. Wait until they start handing out tickets to your 4 time a year fishermen. Then we will start seeing the loss of revenue from license sales, boat tabs, etc.. But thats ok, they can then just raise the cost up more so the remaining have to pay for it.

Ding, Ding, Ding!

That is the goal they have been working towards anyway...make it a rich man's sport and more room for the good ol' boy clubs.

If it makes it as far as "Class" I can't see it being anything more than an online thing that would last a few minutes. It is not going to be like someone will have to go to school.. DNR already has some short informational videos on their site.

I wonder how many fewer fishing licenses, boat sales, and resort stays will occur due to these ridiculous laws.

I just sent an e-mail to both my rep's explaining why I oppose this bill and also suggesting that they log onto Hot Spots Outdoors, open water forum, New AIS Laws and see the opposition and concern about where the AIS laws seem to be going. I suggest that all of us do the same, enough noise will change some minds.

you are doing what all of us should be doing. like you said, it's all about numbers. i am sending my rep a letter because i know that will get read. i also will call. enough is enough. spend money on research from this point on. you cant leglislate more "awareness" than is already in place. good luck.

Here's where I'm torn. There is a blurb in this bill that a group of catfishermen (including myself) worked pretty hard on getting included. The reg would allow anglers to catch a number of species of roughfish in infested waters and use them live on the same body of water. This is very important to me.

So do I contact my reps and tell them to oppose this bill?

I don't know????

I’m not sure how many have read through the bills Limit put down in the outdoors forum. I know I didn’t until this all came up but it’s kind of eye opening some of the stuff in there.

One item I want some clarification on is in Omnibus G&F Bill: H.F. No. 2171, Conference Committee Report - 87th Legislative Session (2011-2012)

Posted 04/27/12 02:36 AM [ccrhf2171]

In this verbiage, does this mean that all species will be open at the same time, or is there more to it than I’m reading or already on the books? I’d admit I haven’t read the entire bill but from what I did read I see no mention of different parts of the state.

34.4 Sec. 75. Minnesota Statutes 2010, section 97C.395, subdivision 1, is amended to read:

34.5 Subdivision 1. Dates for certain species. (a) The open seasons to take fish by

34.6angling are as follows:

34.7 (1) for walleye, sauger, northern pike, muskellunge, largemouth bass, and

34.8smallmouth bass, the Saturday two weeks prior to the Saturday of Memorial Day weekend

34.9to the last Sunday in February;

it sounds like this bill will be passed anyway. pretty late in the proccess. there are some bad parts of this bill and yours is not a part of that. there will be the next session were things can be modified, left as is, or eliminated. to me, your part of this bill makes sense to me so be glad it's on there. there will be more opposition to more regulations and that will take place in the next session. good luck.

as i read it in your post the only change i see from the normal opener is that musky and largemouth and smallmouth are added to the regular opener. that is an eye opener and i have not heard that, unless i'm reading it wrong. trout are not added in there but they open the same day as walley in the regular season anyway. good luck.

as i read it in your post the only change i see from the normal opener is that musky and largemouth and smallmouth are added to the regular opener.

Here's where I'm torn. There is a blurb in this bill that a group of catfishermen (including myself) worked pretty hard on getting included. The reg would allow anglers to catch a number of species of roughfish in infested waters and use them live on the same body of water. This is very important to me.

So do I contact my reps and tell them to oppose this bill?

I don't know????

DTro-

Your bait language is in the G&F bill. https://www.revisor.mn.gov/bin/bldbill.php?bill=ccrhf2171.html&session=ls87

The Gestapo AIS language is in the Environment and Natural Resources bill. https://www.revisor.mn.gov/bin/bldbill.php?bill=ccrhf2164.html&session=ls87

The latter is now being debated in the Senate on the TPT channel if anybody is interested. It may be too late to do anything on the legislative side, but you can still pound the Governor's email account.

edit - This is weird...the bait language is in BOTH bills! crazy I guess you're covered either way! wink

Does anyone know how this is going to effect out of state boaters and fisherman.

I was discussing the ongoing workings of the bill with my brothers who are out of state, and have yet to figure out if the "Test" is going to be given and how it will be given to the non residents.

If we think we are confused about what is in the works, try to explain what the new rules mean to those that have NO idea of what the state is doing. Even according to what I have been following here and the comments by many, it seems even residents have NO idea what is happening or about to happen.

I think someone pointed out that this may effect how non residents plan their vacations and if they really want to deal with the "Whats New" every year. My brothers have NO issue with the license increase but are concerned as I am as to what needs to happen and what sticker needs to go where and what test needs to be taken by when and where they need to take it.

Since tourism is a major part of the states economy and we are looking to control the spread of Zeebs and AIS what is the plan to educate non residents and how are they planning to achieve this when they are struggling so much just to educate the residents.

I think some non residents as well as residents may find themselves used as examples when the fines start coming.

Mike

Mike, i've called and talked to people in charge of this thing from the early planning of the program and now next week i want to know more. every state i think has some form of invasive they are dealing with. as far as this "test", i dont think this comes into effect this year. i was told just last week there is no test this year as far as they know.

reading the conference report it says that the commissioner shall establish a statewide course. so that tells me it's in the planning stage but not implemented. it also says that all of this that is talked about will not be effective until July of 2015. that's the way i read it, so not every stipulation stated in that area may start on that date or may start earlier. every session changes are made so you never know. hopefully this testing is zaped before it begins.

i would just tell your brother when he buy's a licence to get a sticker and follow the basic guidelines and enjoy his time here. if he has any questions call the DNR office at 651-296-6157 and ask to speak to someone on the AIS issue. this way they will be informed and have peace of mind when on their trip here. good luck.

i wish people who are complaining about stickers and other things like taking classes mentioned in some article would call the people in charge of this program. i called for the price of the sticker--16cents each. i called about some classes people are talking about--there are no such classes required i was told. Geeez--why dont people just buy your licence, get your stickers, follow the law, and go fishing. if you have a problem go round up all the "stickeranti's" head down to the capitol and demonstrate. for me nothing will change. i will go fishing and enjoy every minute of it. good luck.

Easier to complain and make stuff up and not deal with facts for most.

I will also go fishing and not worry about this. If I see something new and I do not care for it, I will then contact my reps as I always do as noone here can change any of this.

The sticker could be totally free and everything other item for this and some would still say, not me. I am not really for this course and I have notified all of my reps. That's all one can do and then hope others will also do the same and then a change could happen, otherwise not.

Harvey, i was fine with all this prior to this testing deal. anything other than research from this point i am not for. i think all has been done as far as making people aware of this issue. all the fines that are issued this year, hopefully goes for this program also. good luck.

So is the DNR's intent to have the sticker available at all ELS centers?

I was at Gander in Forest Lake last week and they said they don't have the sticker, never had the sticker, and did not know if they would have the sticker. It will be hard for the out of staters to comply with the law if they are not available at every dealer, bait shop, resort, etc.

the only thing i could say to that is to call ahead to places like Gander. seems that the local county licence centers have plenty. when i talked to a person last week she said they have printed almost 500,000 of them so far. i just picked up a couple more for my canoe and 12 footer at the local licence center. good luck.

If we really wanted to get serious about invasive weeds we could require all farmers to pressure wash their equipment every time they go from one field to the next under the threat of felony prosecution. The state could set up washing checkpoints that target construction equipment having soil contaminants on them. Hikers could have their shoes spot checked in our state parks for noxious weeds. We have over 5000 invasive plant species in the U.S. now. Many of these have been here for well over a hundred years. The USDA's Plant Protection Quarantine agency uses a variety of techniques that mitigate the damage these species inflict. They spray certain areas, inspect/regulate Ag imports and educate the public. They have had many successes but have never had to rely on unconstitutional searches or mandatory stickers and classes to do their job. I'm glad these new rules aren't such a big deal to many of you but I suspect that this is only the beginning. Many of you supporters will be on this site a year or two from now telling us about an over-zealous state worker who gave you a $1000 ticket for having a faded AIS sticker or some lawn clippings on your truck tire.

i think i'll stick to what we transport on boats and trailers for now. most of us are reasonable people. once government regulations get out of hand, that's another story. sticker time is over for me and so are classes. i will do my part to fight against further measures unless they are for study and enforcement. i still say doing nothing is not an answer i want to be a part of and we have done enough up to this point. good luck.