• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

New AIS law

harvey lee

What about my water skis, tubes, wake boards, and life jackets? Even my trunks and shorts? What if my hat were to blow off in one lake and again into another lake in the same day?

• Replies 414
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• harvey lee

• Scott K

• reinhard1

• James_R

That would really extend the triathlon times when each contestant needs to be pressure washed, inspected, and a sticker attached before entering the water, not to mention the second washdown as they try to run out to the bike stage.

Come on guys, you are being rediculous and giving fisherman a bad name. Get educated. The DNR will never win, either they do too little and people complain, or they try to get something done and people complain. I'm glad they are at least trying to be somewhat proactive, hopefully its not too little too late. If we have a chance to reduce the spread of AIS, why not do it. Prevention techniques cost WAY LESS than management techniques, and what they spend on these prevention techniques are far better than the consequences we would deal with the alternative.

Think of all the impacts AIS can cause, noted that some AIS are worse than others. A lot of these impacts wont be seen right away, but by the time our kids are adults, they could have to deal with the real consequences. AIS can impact tourism thus affecting the local economy, it can impact fishing in many ways that may not be seen right away, in can impact recreation users, for example zebra mussels can plug cooling intakes on motors causing overheating. Zebra mussels can also litter beaches and the lake bottom with sharp shells, it takes a few years for zebra mussel populations to really explode. Minnetonka is getting worse and worse. If we ever get Hydrilla, that is far worse than milfoil and can give us less useable area in a lake. Google Hydrilla, look at the pics of what it can do. By far the worse AIS in my opinion.

You are never going to be able to say you can completely stop the spread of AIS 100%, but if you can at least reduce the chances significantly i'm all for it.

i kind of skimmed through the DNR budget and i do remember that 5 bucks from your non-resident licence does go for the AIS portion of the money for that project. when you pick up your licence and get the sticker just put the bottom portion on your trailer by the winch [it's small and only reminds you to pull the plug and put it back it too] and the other part just put it in a zip plastic bag and have it handy in case someone asks to see it. good luck.

Come on guys, you are being rediculous and giving fisherman a bad name. Get educated. The DNR will never win, either they do too little and people complain, or they try to get something done and people complain.

Agreed, sit back and judge those in charge and complain.

You want fail safe solution that will not cost any money ?

How about they close the public accesses of all infected Lakes. No boats launch and no boats leave.

Quarantine the infected waters and save all this wasted money on stickers and educating the unwilling.

You have a leakey boat ? Maybe they should do hull inspections and condem those boats that do not pass inspection. You admit there is nothing stopping your boat from cross contaminating waters then why don't you fix the leak ?

You want the freedom to launch your boat in infected waters then move to a clean lake then follow the laws and get over it. If there is no solution then close the public accesses and save the uninflected waters would that make everyone happy ?

With Freedom comes great responsibility.

Out of the Lib Trib this morning.

"Minnesota's 800,000 boaters would be subject to mandatory boat inspections for invasive species before launching their craft, under a bill approved Thursday by a House-Senate conference committee.

The bill also requires boat owners to pass a course on how to prevent the spread of aquatic invasive species before they could trailer their boats anywhere. Those hauling other water-related equipment, such as docks or boat lifts, also would have to pass the course.

Those passing the course would get a trailer decal that would allow them to transport their boat. Though the decal would be mandatory, a violation is punishable only by a warning, under the bill.

The bill, which now goes before the Legislature's full House and Senate, gives the Department of Natural Resources authority to establish regional inspection stations at or near water accesses."

So my lifetime license I bought for my boat trailer is only good until they find a new sticker you need? So the trailer license is good for life, but I cant use it to haul my boat without taking a course, and buying another sticker?

How much does this course cost? This new sticker cost? Who is doing the tests? Hopefully it isnt the DMV, because they are so understaffed, and un organized the way it is now. Have you been to one lately?

that article seems like an old one they had when this issue first came to the forfront as far as the new guidlines. that course that was talked about, did that ever pass or is it just talked about in the article? as far as how much a sticker costs,[ i called and found out], 16 cents each. good luck.

You are never going to be able to say you can completely stop the spread of AIS 100%, but if you can at least reduce the chances significantly i'm all for it.

My boat leaks...If fills up the ribs in the boat...The ribs can retain a few gallons each...I cannot "rEDUCE THE CHANCE SIGNIFICANTLY" by pulling a plug, or draining minnow water, etc...I'm flat out transfering water int he hull of my boat. Spend less on enforcing that i keep a sticker on my boat and pull plug and drain water, and more on managing AIS because...Like i've said in the last 5 posts...I'M GOING TO TRANSFER AIS, AND SO WILL MANY OTHER BOATS. SO IT WILL SPREAD! I don't see any enforecement from DNR about leaky hulls.

i wish people who are complaining about stickers and other things like taking classes mentioned in some article would call the people in charge of this program. i called for the price of the sticker--16cents each. i called about some classes people are talking about--there are no such classes required i was told. Geeez--why dont people just buy your licence, get your stickers, follow the law, and go fishing. if you have a problem go round up all the "stickeranti's" head down to the capitol and demonstrate. for me nothing will change. i will go fishing and enjoy every minute of it. good luck.

Not yet...

"Minnesota's 800,000 boaters would be subject to mandatory boat inspections for invasive species before launching their craft, under a bill approved Thursday by a House-Senate conference committee.

The bill also requires boat owners to pass a course on how to prevent the spread of aquatic invasive species before they could trailer their boats anywhere. Those hauling other water-related equipment, such as docks or boat lifts, also would have to pass the course.

This is all new stuff coming through the pipe.

How amazingly sad and unbelievable is it that we will have to take a class to recognize potential dangers of AIS, but allowed to freely get behind the wheel of 300hp and let er rip??

You can't make this stuff up. Reality is better than fiction.

some just need to complain for the sake of complaining or being heard. if u hate something so much, go to DNR offices/state capitol with an organized group and state your issues there.....otherwise sell your boat and shore fish or deal with it

that stupid class amendment or whatever has been flying around by some stuffed shirt for awhile. i cant believe anyone would support something that insane. i dont aprove of many of these things but i will live with it and make my objections known. i'm only one person, but if everyone gets on the phone to their reps or let your reps know your objections to this "taking a class bill" nonsense it wont ever happen. dont email send mail. they do open that [most cases they think there might be a check in there]. it's our own fault that a thing like "classes" even comes out of a leglislators mouth. good luck.

that stupid class amendment or whatever has been flying around by some stuffed shirt for awhile. i cant believe anyone would support something that insane.

i'm interested in this "not allowing to trailer the boat" part if you dont pass inspection....are they going to "force" you to stay there and not leave with your boat until you can answer questions/pass test? or am i mis interpreting something?

What is it with all you negative people out there? Why all of the hate? We need to all come together and accept and love AIS as a group. It isnt politically correct to single out something and not allow it in our waters. Now say it with me "I will learn, love, and respect AIS as it is one of my own" laugh

Really though, when is it going to stop? I am pretty sure they are crossing the line all over with this. Illegal searches, now mandatory! No longer random spots, but all over, and not just by landings. Want to trailer your boat? You need to take a class, and get a sticker, want to put your boat in the water? you need a sticker. That bait cooler that is sealed, and has a lid on it, that has no way of getting lake water in it, sorry drain all that water out, cant transport it. You want bait? Cant catch it your sel, you need to buy it, oh and have a receipt for it as well.

Whats next?? If I was an out of stater and was looking at all of the hassle to come here and fish, I wouldnt. I would look at the many pages of rules and regualtions, and all of the new added laws, and say no thank you! In fact, I am getting to the point, I may just sell my boat, and go fish pay lakes from now on. No stickers needed.

What is it with all you negative people out there? Why all of the hate? We need to all come together and accept and love AIS as a group.

I've been wondering how long it would be until someone finally invoked the Rodney King doctrine on this one smirk

the 2% still apply's as far as i know. i have always said i was against road side stops. i dont care for the stickers, but i can live with them. i also knew about this stupid class when it first apeared in the fish wrap called the tribune. it was insane then and insane now. Monday i will be doing some calling around to see where this is going. i was told today that the so called classes are not in the picture at this time. doesn't mean it's not comming down the pipe. but i will be doing more than complaining on here, although it's important to get the word out with outrageous things like these "classes". we are not children and shouln't be treated as such and i will get in touch with my political friends i have worked with in the past to get the word out. i would ask everyone out there to do the same. good luck.

call DNR information at 651-296-6157. then ask to talk to someone regarding your AIS issue. they will connect you to someone. they will give you the information you want. good luck.

Limit, How about posting a link for all of us to read on this. I'm with you on this. No one wants to believe it could happen then when its does they just accept it.

If its true we all need to be writing our representatives ASAP and screaming as loud as we can.

https://www.revisor.mn.gov/bin/bldbill.php?bill=ccrhf2164.html&session=ls87

Quote:
Sec. 21. [86B.13] AQUATIC INVASIVE SPECIES PREVENTION PROGRAM.

16.28 Subdivision 1. Establishment. The commissioner shall establish a statewide course

16.29in preventing the spread of aquatic invasive species. The commissioner must develop an

16.30educational course and testing program that address identification of aquatic invasive

16.31species and best practices to prevent the spread of aquatic invasive species when moving

16.32water-related equipment, as defined under section 84D.01, subdivision 18a.

17.1 Subd. 2. Aquatic invasive species trailer decal. The commissioner shall issue an

17.2aquatic invasive species trailer decal for each trailer owned by a person that satisfactorily

17.3completes the required course of instruction.

17.4 Subd. 3. Contracting for services. The commissioner may contract for services to

17.5provide training and testing services under this section.

17.6 Subd. 4. Aquatic invasive species trailer decal display required. (a) A person

17.7may not transport watercraft or water-related equipment, as defined under section 84D.01,

17.8subdivision 18a, with a trailer unless the person has an aquatic invasive species trailer

17.9decal issued under this section. Temporary authorizations valid for seven days can be

17.10requested by persons that have not completed the required course of instruction.

17.11(B) Aquatic invasive species trailer decals are valid for three years.

17.12© The aquatic invasive species trailer decal must be adhered to the side of the trailer

17.13frame tongue near the hitch in a manner that it is readily visible and does not interfere with

17.14the display of any registration requirements under section 169.79.

17.15(d) Aquatic invasive species trailer decals are not transferable.

17.16(e) Violation of this section shall not result in a penalty, but is punishable only

17.17by a warning.

17.18EFFECTIVE DATE.Subdivision 4 is effective July 1, 2015.

BTW, the definition of "water-related equipment" is as follows:

Subd. 18a.Water-related equipment. "Water-related equipment" means a motor vehicle, boat, watercraft, dock, boat lift, raft, vessel, trailer, tool, implement, device, or any other associated equipment or container, including but not limited to portable bait containers, live wells, ballast tanks except for those vessels permitted under the Pollution Control Agency vessel discharge program, bilge areas, and water-hauling equipment that is capable of containing or transporting aquatic invasive species, aquatic macrophytes, or water.

ThanksLimit, I just spent an hour scanning the bills you have down in silly town and It opened my eyes to alot.

Ok so now were going to have to register out bait buckets, have a sticker attached to them that is good for 3 years, not transferable and take a test to prove we are capable to determine what an invasive species is!

UNBELIEVABLE!!!!!

the 2% still apply's as far as i know. i have always said i was against road side stops. i dont care for the stickers, but i can live with them. i also knew about this stupid class when it first apeared in the fish wrap called the tribune. it was insane then and insane now. Monday i will be doing some calling around to see where this is going. i was told today that the so called classes are not in the picture at this time. doesn't mean it's not comming down the pipe. but i will be doing more than complaining on here, although it's important to get the word out with outrageous things like these "classes". we are not children and shouln't be treated as such and i will get in touch with my political friends i have worked with in the past to get the word out. i would ask everyone out there to do the same. good luck.

Put in a bad word for it from me as well!

....when you pick up your licence and get the sticker just put the bottom portion on your trailer by the winch [it's small and only reminds you to pull the plug and put it back it too] and the other part just put it in a zip plastic bag and have it handy in case someone asks to see it. good luck.

I was at Grays Bay launch earlier this week and got the full treatment from one of the DNR reps. He made it very clear to me several times that the top portion of the sticker must be attached to the boat in a place visible to authorities if I was asked to show it. When I challenged him for a location for that ridiculous sticker he said I could stick it on the back side of my glove box door. He added the bottom portion of the sticker is not required to be attached and is not required under the current law.

War

Murder

Oppression

yet, some of you think a sticker is the beginning of the end. Perhaps you should adjust your tinfoil hat a bit. The gov't satellite rays might be getting through.

Not yet...

The bill also requires boat owners to pass a course on how to prevent the spread of aquatic invasive species before they could trailer their boats anywhere. Those hauling other water-related equipment, such as docks or boat lifts, also would have to pass the course. When I bought my new boat this spring I was talking to the salemen about the new sticker and the course he said they were going to have to go to a 2 hour training course but thought it was just for people in the sales.

as far as the bottom of the sticker, it says right on the bottom portion of the sticker "cut below and place bottom portion on trailer near winch". so maby some conservation people need to take a class. a lot of this stuff right now is obviously confusing to many of us right now as this program is starting up.

on the conference committee's report stating all the various regs it appears to me that the effective date for some of these programs dont start till July of 2015. as far as this stupid "class" or "course" it says "the commissioner shall establish a statewide course in preventing the spread of aquatic invasive species. the commissioner must develope a educational course and testing program that address identification of aquatic invasive species and best practices to prevent the spread of aquatic invasive species when moving water related equipment as defined under section 840.01 subdivision 18a. then it says an aquatic invasive spicies trailer decal shall be issued after completing the course."

that is the part of the conference report i'm going to address first to my rep. i am going to request a letter from her with a full explanation of the statute as far as these classes. it's these classes that irritate me the most. i also want to know if it's true that these stickers will be in effect for only three years and then what happens. new stickers? i already have said stickers, but will i be issued new ones after a idiotic class? at 16 cents per sticker per 800,000 boater that would be a repedative cost wasted by anyones imagination.

so i have called numerous times regarding this issue, being told one thing and reading another. i want to get the facts, and i want to get it from people makeing these laws, not enforcing them.

the boat checks at the landings, the limited road side checks, and the stickers and all the things like pulling the plugs and removing the weeds ect i can live with. however if more stickers and stupid classes come into play, that will be the line in the sand i will demand the state to stop the foolishness and get real. good luck.