• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

New AIS law

harvey lee

I am one of those people that think the govt shouldnt interfere with our personal lives. I think their role isnt to interfere with what we do to ourselves. I also think cops duty has went from "protect and serve" to worrying whether someone is going 45mph in a 40mph zone, As for the DNR's job, I think their duties went from protecting our resources, to making sure we abide by every single law to the "T" while out boating and fishing. Such as checking to make sure my horn works on my boat, the date on my fire extinguisher, but they did not even ask to see my fishing license, or ask to see in my livewell. You tell me, were they worried about the resources? Or were they looking to write tickets?

If you are speeding and driving to fast for the conditions, then yes, the police need to ticket you as you are a hazard on the hwy and you are breaking the law. It is a proven fact that speeding kills so the limits have been set for our safety. I see nothing wrong with that at all.

I do not believe we can pick and choose what laws we want to abide by and the ones we do not so we can do as we please. Waht a mess we would have with that scenario.

I might assume and that is dangerous but why not have a whistle or horn in the boat. If you have an issue in the boat and there is thick fog for one example, you could blow the horn and just maybe someone might be bale to come and help you out. The fire ext is also a great thing to have in the boat. if you had a fire, it may just save your life. or maybe your son or daughters or whomever else is in the boat with you.

The CO's can tell like any peace officers if you are lieing to them and if they believe you are, then I am sure they would shake you down all the way. By bet is, you would not like that either as you would say they are infringing on your private rights.

I didn't realize the CO's were out to get us and write tickets to everyone. They are doing the job they have been hired to do and are enforcing the law. Now, if you do not like those laws, my suggestion might be to contact a state rep and talk to them and see what can be done to change the law so they would not bother you. Noone here can do a darn thing for you in regards to these laws but there are elected officilas in office that will listen to what you have to say.

I would guess I talk with my state rep Glen gruenhagen from Glence every week or so about something or I ask if he can get answers for me.

Glen is more than happy to do this and I am sure there are many others more than willing to listen to you who have the power to maybe look at changing a law if that law is that bad.

Glen may even be your state rep I believe.

• Replies 414
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• harvey lee

• Scott K

• reinhard1

• James_R

....regarding boat checks, maybe DNR's job would be simpler and more direct if all watercraft owners/users were required to take a state mandated test for watercraft like we do for driverse license, since that is not the case, those of us in the "know" may think it troublesome but until you go around with a DNR officer, who really knows how many uneducated "weekend waterer's" are actually out there and the DNR does not know who is who, dont have a laptop to look up boat license and know if you are "water smart" or not.

I do not want a boating test but if there are that many people oiut there that do notn have a clue, maybe that is exactly what we need.

As far as checking the boat and licenses, my guess is, if the fisherman has all his safelty equipment in the boat he more than likely has a license. Now of course there are exceptions to every rulke or situation but I am sure that is not the norm.

I have no issue with any CO checking me as I am glad they are out there doing there job. How do you know that CO that checked you for safety gear was not watching you for the prior 2 hours to see what you have caught and kept.

I was with Jonny P on Upper red fishing eyes and crappie and Jonny said the CO is watching us. After we had a limit of eyes and moved to try and find some crappie, Jonny said the CO will be over shortly and then he came over and checked our fish for legal length. That is his job but he knew what we had in the livewell before he came to the boat. They do not have to check ones livewell to see if there are fish in it and have never had to.

Anyone that is trained to see if people are leing can tell when they are. A person will move there hands around, make different facial expressions and so on and they can read that as they have been trained to do this as peace officers. I think one has to give them a little bit of credit.

Quote:
I have no idea why yo say just throw a sticker at the carp. That will cure nothing and we along with the DNR know that.

From what I have been told and explained to by the DNR, these stickers have a couple purposes. They admit they will stop or slow AIS in and by themselves. But the sticker will help spread the word as others have mentioned above as a great tool make watercraft owners become aware of this and try to help with this issue until a cure for permanent results can be found. Marketing costs money and the decal helps get the word out. I guess they could have not done the decals and ran 2-3 million on TV stations throughout thye state and done nothing more than achieved the same results as they will have with the decals for hopefully less. I am also 100% positive that the DNR checked out numerous options to see how they would get the word out and for the best bang for our dollars.

I have no idea what else you would want the DNR to try and do as I believe they are as much or more concerned about this as all of us using these waters. They are not here to try and do nothing.

Since you believe they are fighting a losing batle and they may agree, what would you do, nothing?

Well the sticker quote should be obvious, since that is there fix for zeebs and weeds. Or atleast that is there best attempt to date.

I do understand the meaning behind the stickers, I am all for getting the word out, right up until they are going to start fining people to have a sticker on their boats. Also fining people who forgot to pull the plug, fining people because their bait water is dirty, and it COULD be lake water, or didnt see the weed under their bunk. Taking peoples money from them, just so the DNR can feel good that they are doing something, is where I have the problem with it. Forcing people to do their feel good ideas, that isnt going to prevent anything from happening anyway. They should take that 2-3 million and educate people, not find new ways to write more tickets to prople.

My personal opinion on what they should do, you may not like! I think they should forget about weeds, and zeebs, since they didnt bother doing anything until it was to late any how. They have been around for 10+ years, but now that they are throughout the state, it is now the time to spend a ton of money to TRY to slow it down.

Asian carp are at the beginning stages of entering MN waters, I think they should spend their time and money on focusing on preventing them from spreading while it isnt to late. Sure, they are talking about it, but there isnt any money to do the things they think can stop them, aka dams, electric fences, etc.. but if they stoped fighting the losing battle, and fight the one that is still winable before it is to late, atleast it isnt throwing money away on a battle that cant be won any more. JMO, not the popular one though. But like I said, once the Asian carp get established in MN waters, and it is to late to do anything about it, then we will come up with a plan (like a neon sticker?)to stop them from spreading, again, after it is to late.

Scott, what part of they are working on the carp issue do you not understand. You keep saying they should do research and try to find something to control them.

They are at this time. What more can one say or do???

If you abide by the law, you have no worries about them giving you a ticket and taking your money away. Same as any other law like the speeding you talked about.

How do you know that the DNR does not have plans for fences to go up or whatever if that could stop the carp. We do not know everything the DNR is planning to do in the future.

Did you contact a person who said they have no plans for the carp? Thats not what I got from a few calls to St Paul and new Ulm.

This may be brutal but my guess is from your posts about the law, you simply do not like laws that you do not want to abide by so they should go away.

If we all could pick and choose which laws we want, what a mess this would be and you have to understand that.

Maybe they should have a sticker for the boats where people simply do not like any rules that they do not want to follow as they think they should not have to follow them. Bright neon for that also.

BY the way, they are trying to educate you, you just do not like what they are saying so it should go away.

As I said above, follow thr rules, work to change it or pay the fine.

The DNR is giving plenty of time to learn and abide by these rules. Now, if they said next week we are going to fine you if you do not do this, thenj I may understand as one may have not heard of it. Lets be thankfull that there was far warning to give us all time to learn and follow the rules.

if you do not like this that much, there is something you can do about it. Contact some reps, get a petition signed by alot of people and go to St paul next jan to try and get the law changed.

The state does afford you that right if your beliefs are that strong. If not, then we have to follow the rules or pay the piper.

I am sure my voice wouldnt be heard over the lake shore owners who are screaming, since they are about the only ones that would be effected by the laws! I dont do anything political, I just pee and moan about it.

I dont know if your missing my point, let me reword it. The DNR waited to long to prevent the spread, they could have done that 10 years ago, and I would have been on the band wagon. Today, it is like a wildfire (AIS), and the dnr has a squirt gun. The fire is going to take its course, just like the AIS, using that squirt gun isnt going to change anything. Now if they were better prepared to fight the wildfire, then it would be worth the fight. But while they are only armed with a squirt gun, they are only wasting their time, and my money. They are better off letting the wildfire burn, and using their resources to fight the small grass fire (Asian carp) that is starting to grow, before it to gets to be a wildfire (AIS).

If they pull the many people off of sticker duty, boat washing duty, and weed inspector duty, and put them on Asian carp patrol, they may just stand a chance to stop them before it is to late. Have as many people fighting Asian carp as possible. Then while doing that, educate the people on removing boat plugs, cleaning weeds, etc..

I know Asian carp is an AIS

What would your proposal be for fighting asain carp. I am sure many states would like to know what the fix is as many have issues and are still trying to figure it out.

So, since we have a problem then there is no reason to now try and do something about it? We do not know that it will not help. All you can do is assume as you have no facts to say it will not.

Doing nothing will never cure anything. never has, never will.

Even with a wildfire, they always have to stop it somewhere and they do, they do not say, let it burn and go wherever it wants. That would not make any sense and could cost lives and millions in property and forest damage. This analogy makes very little sense. Sorry.

We are going to have to agree to disagree as this is going nowhere fast.

I can agree to disagree. As for the asian carp. Since we know they are in the St Croix, and the Missippi, start making barriers to the other outlets that feed the croix, and sippi. They had talk of a dam being built, that will be high enough, that they wont be able to get beyond it for the Mississipi. There are electrical barriers that they can install that will deter them from crossing the barrier. As long as they arent in the waters, they are easier to stop them from getting in there. Once they are there, you might as well sit back and watch the fish jump behind the boat, and we then will be in the same boat as milfoil, and zeebs.

Harvey, I’ll admit your points and the few others have said make SOME sense. Education will help with those that don’t have any clue about the laws. I know of 2 people that had no clue until they got their stickers by renewing the registration.

But what about me? I mentioned it earlier; I have a bunk trailer like a lot of other people on here. I know for a fact that I have trapped milfoil while loading on windy days when weeds were rolling into the launch. There was no way to avoid it! Also like I said earlier, I do follow the laws to the t, pull plug, pull weeds drain live well. But you and I have been at this long enough to know you will not get all weeds every time. I can remember last season, cleaned trailer off visually pulled what I seen and took off towards home. Pull into restaurant for a bite and notice I’ve got a weed hanging off the frame that obviously wasn’t visible when I checked at the ramp. I’m guessing it dried out while I was running and blew loose from the frame. Im guilty per the law, BUT I KNOW WITHOUT A DOUBT, I never seen it before or I would have removed it. Also, what about that sprig that’s stuck on my bunks that are trapped by the boat? Is the DNR going to make a bunk trailer illegal or fine me if it’s seen in the parking lot? Where does it end? These are serious questions I’m concerned with.

Carp, Im pretty sure I’ve read reports that they have DNA evidence that their already past the CR dam. How they know I have no clue or even if it’s accurate. But it wouldn’t surprise me one bit. And I’d speculate they were placed there by someone who wants to bow fish for them or just did it out of spite. Snake Head comes to mind, you just never know how or where it started. Although I think they found the people responsible in the end in that case. I believe it’s the same with milfoil spread and I can see some person placing the zebs in waters they would like to see cleared up by them as well. Not a kind thought but the truth, whether you want to believe it or not.

What would your proposal be for fighting asain carp. I am sure many states would like to know what the fix is as many have issues and are still trying to figure it out.

So, since we have a problem then there is no reason to now try and do something about it? We do not know that it will not help. All you can do is assume as you have no facts to say it will not.

Doing nothing will never cure anything. never has, never will.

Even with a wildfire, they always have to stop it somewhere and they do, they do not say, let it burn and go wherever it wants. That would not make any sense and could cost lives and millions in property and forest damage. This analogy makes very little sense. Sorry.

We are going to have to agree to disagree as this is going nowhere fast.

Here is a way to approach AIS.

DNR suits need to be honest and forth coming with information. And none of this ,its our way accept it, carp. Keep the biologist even if that biologist disagrees with them, yes it happens.

Biologist and fisheries I have been talking with have a different view on AIS. "Spoon full of fear mongering is whats being sold" from a biologist that worked for the DNR in the 90's. He was asked to come up with a threat assessment for the St.Croix on Zebra muscles, his conclusion was Zebra will inhabit the river but the water lacks sufficient calcium deposits amongst other nutrients to sustain a blown out infestation. He was let go after the report. 20 years later no infestation.

Possible measures to take would be test the water content of lakes to see which are vulnerable and take precautions and go from there. Or is a blanketed policy the best way to go to keep cost down.

Want to keep cost down have these Lake Associations pay for the lake water test for the lake they want to control to see it even necessary to put certain precautions on a body of water. Or are the Lake Associations getting to powerful to do this?

Pretty much what bait wholesalers have to do. They have to have every body of water they take bait from tested for VHS at a cost of 200 to 300 . Funny thing is there has never been a VHS report in Minnesota water except for Lake Superior that Cornell U found trace amounts just recently, from research I tried digging up

When I hear creditable stuff like this I get a bit suspicious on whether or not there is an alternative motive behind the push of the AIS scare. I'm not at all belittling the fact the AIS can be and there is tangible evidence in cases around the state, just questioning the tactics being used .

Registration renewed, ais stickers affixed, I'm good to go.

As soon as I put that sticker on I felt an invisible force field around the boat.

Take that AIS!

I can agree to disagree. As for the asian carp. Since we know they are in the St Croix, and the Missippi, start making barriers to the other outlets that feed the croix, and sippi. They had talk of a dam being built, that will be high enough, that they wont be able to get beyond it for the Mississipi. There are electrical barriers that they can install that will deter them from crossing the barrier. As long as they arent in the waters, they are easier to stop them from getting in there. Once they are there, you might as well sit back and watch the fish jump behind the boat, and we then will be in the same boat as milfoil, and zeebs.

I am sure this is wrong and not enough Scoot but here is what they replied to me in regards to the Asain carp.

Thomas, we are following the work being done in the Illinois River where they are removing Asian carp through commercial fishing, and conducting research on long-term control methods. There are some promising tools being developed including toxic pellets, pheromones to attract Asian carp for removal, water pressure guns to kill or deter carp, etc. While these tools are in the development stage and may or may not come to fruition, the US Geological Survey who is conducting most of this work is optimistic that some of these tools will be available in the next few years.

It is also hopeful that the state legislature will fund an Aquatic Invasive Species Center at the University of Minnesota to increase research efforts on our waters. In addition, we are seeking funding to restore habitat for native species so they are more resilient to Asian carp. Where we have good habitat, invasive species don’t do as well.

All of the above is designed to control or remove these species long-term.

Thanks for your interest.

Tim Schlagenhaft

Minnesota Department of Natural Resources

1801 S. Oak St.

Lake City, MN 55041

651-345-3365 ext. 233

[email protected]

Has anyone looked at the current game and fish bill now making its way through the legislature?

It calls for $500,000 to be transferred from the general game and fish fund over to the AIS fund.

Wait a second? I thought a proposed license increase was to cover existing shortfalls the DNR is experiencing?

Free stickers my fanny… smirk

Has anyone looked at the current game and fish bill now making its way through the legislature?

It calls for $500,000 to be transferred from the general game and fish fund over to the AIS fund.

Wait a second? I thought a proposed license increase was to cover existing shortfalls the DNR is experiencing?

No, no, no. You forgot about the cost of administering the AIS test every boat owner will have to take before you are given ANOTHER sticker which this time will go on the tongue of your boat trailer. This will be passed out of the conference committee today and is quite likely on it's way to the Governor's desk.

We're going to make NASCAR jealous with the number of decals we'll have on our boats and trailers. The difference is that they get paid for their stickers, we just get screwed out of more money, dignity, and pride.

I have lived nearly my whole life in MN, and I am ashamed to say that I'm glad that I moved out of state to SD when I did. The state of MN has more fishing laws than a beach got sand. I am all for fighting invasives, but not from the armchair of a $1000 office chair sitting in St. Paul. I hope there are people that work for the state viewing this post b/c I want to make this very clear. AS LONG AS THIS RIDICULOUS WASTE OCCURS AT THE STATE LEVEL, I WILL MAKE A POINT NOT TO DRIVE INTO AND SUPPORT MN'S EFFORT. I would encourage more of you to take part in the great thing we have going next door. I always wondered why there are just as many MN vehicles in the parking lots of SD boat ramps...;)

To clarify a little bit...

It really tears me apart seeing MN as a whole go down this slippery slope. I remember right after I moved, it was all over SD news that MN gov't shut down. The reason I bring this up is because I truly believe that the people running the state today do not have the same vision as the people that laid the foundation, and built the platform that we have to work with today.

I did think that DNR was an exception, until now. Like I said before, I am all for stopping the spread...but, there is right and wrong ways to do things in life, and helping fund the wrong way is not something I want to be apart of. After talking with some folks in the local SD bait shops, the general consensus is that we don't need to drive to MN for fishing. The fishing has been great here in SD, and it's a becoming a hassle to cross the border just to fish. I believe that means we will not be spending gas, beer, food, lodging or any money on any other activities that go along with the trip. And there's the flip-side to that. It is apparent that there are quite a few MN residents that are unhappy with the new regulations. Push their buttons much more and they will start flooding places like SD- places where they can spend more time on the water fishing. This means more revenue to our local bait shops, hotels, etc. for our local economy.

Some may argue that it's really not that hard to remember the new regs, but it's more than just a convenience thing. It's the mindset that, "everyone must comply because we know best mentality". For some people it's as simple as not wanting to cover up their nice paint job (that they paid for) with another sticker. For others it's getting too expensive to dump 10-20 bucks of bait in the garbage at the ramp because the 90 degree water they brought to transfer the minnows into is too hot. Whatever it is, it means less revenue for the state as a whole.

I have traveled a bit for how old I am and some of my favorite places in the world are in MN. I absolutely love the state, but it kills me to see the direction it keeps heading in.

Sorry Harvey, I totally gave my rant on a topic other than what you intended. If it were me, I would do as some others have suggested. Put the money towards research and boots on the ground. Research what lakes are more prone to being infested, how big of a threat. Collect your data by asking anglers to report sightings of invasives, or ask them to volunteer to help educate and tell others. It's not the intention I have a problem with, it's the way they are going about solving the problem. Get a better handle on the whole situation before coming up with new laws that intend on collecting revenue first, then figuring out how to stop the spread.

No reason to be suspicious there. Just go with the flow and all will be all oky doky DT.

Put the money towards research and boots on the ground. Research what lakes are more prone to being infested, how big of a threat. Collect your data by asking anglers to report sightings of invasives, or ask them to volunteer to help educate and tell others. It's not the intention I have a problem with, it's the way they are going about solving the problem.

Perfectly put...and it makes good common sense...it will be lost on most.

Too bad.

To clarify a little bit...

It really tears me apart seeing MN as a whole go down this slippery slope. I remember right after I moved, it was all over SD news that MN gov't shut down. The reason I bring this up is because I truly believe that the people running the state today do not have the same vision as the people that laid the foundation, and built the platform that we have to work with today.

I did think that DNR was an exception, until now. Like I said before, I am all for stopping the spread...but, there is right and wrong ways to do things in life, and helping fund the wrong way is not something I want to be apart of. After talking with some folks in the local SD bait shops, the general consensus is that we don't need to drive to MN for fishing. The fishing has been great here in SD, and it's a becoming a hassle to cross the border just to fish. I believe that means we will not be spending gas, beer, food, lodging or any money on any other activities that go along with the trip. And there's the flip-side to that. It is apparent that there are quite a few MN residents that are unhappy with the new regulations. Push their buttons much more and they will start flooding places like SD- places where they can spend more time on the water fishing. This means more revenue to our local bait shops, hotels, etc. for our local economy.

Some may argue that it's really not that hard to remember the new regs, but it's more than just a convenience thing. It's the mindset that, "everyone must comply because we know best mentality". For some people it's as simple as not wanting to cover up their nice paint job (that they paid for) with another sticker. For others it's getting too expensive to dump 10-20 bucks of bait in the garbage at the ramp because the 90 degree water they brought to transfer the minnows into is too hot. Whatever it is, it means less revenue for the state as a whole.

I have traveled a bit for how old I am and some of my favorite places in the world are in MN. I absolutely love the state, but it kills me to see the direction it keeps heading in.

Sorry Harvey, I totally gave my rant on a topic other than what you intended. If it were me, I would do as some others have suggested. Put the money towards research and boots on the ground. Research what lakes are more prone to being infested, how big of a threat. Collect your data by asking anglers to report sightings of invasives, or ask them to volunteer to help educate and tell others. It's not the intention I have a problem with, it's the way they are going about solving the problem. Get a better handle on the whole situation before coming up with new laws that intend on collecting revenue first, then figuring out how to stop the spread.

full-13877-19881-thumbsup.gif

If there were no sticker maybe this thread would not be here ?

If they decided to skip the sticker and other costly forms of education such as commercials aired it would save a ton of money.

They should just write the laws and write the tickets that will do much more to stop the spread of invasives. People would much rather pay a hefty fine than put a sticker on their boat.

Darn DNR always trying to mess with our freedoms.

wink

Out of the Lib Trib this morning.

"Minnesota's 800,000 boaters would be subject to mandatory boat inspections for invasive species before launching their craft, under a bill approved Thursday by a House-Senate conference committee.

The bill also requires boat owners to pass a course on how to prevent the spread of aquatic invasive species before they could trailer their boats anywhere. Those hauling other water-related equipment, such as docks or boat lifts, also would have to pass the course.

Those passing the course would get a trailer decal that would allow them to transport their boat. Though the decal would be mandatory, a violation is punishable only by a warning, under the bill.

The bill, which now goes before the Legislature's full House and Senate, gives the Department of Natural Resources authority to establish regional inspection stations at or near water accesses."

HaHa...I get it. A sticker, A class...All to remind me to remove weeds from my boat, to remind me to drain bait water, and to pull boat plugs...Well after i do all of that, i've still got a leaky boat that will hold gallons of water in each rib.

Someone can lawyer me on this one, but i bet there at minimum 5% of the boats in each county run their bilge each time on the water, and have a boat hull design that retains water. I also bet that another 50% of boaters in the county don't know what their boat hull design looks like, and could be transfering AIS as well.

So i'm not seeing the point. I can pull my weeds, drain my buckets, pull my plugs...but i still transfer water, and i know i'm not the only one folks!!

Gotta spend money on managing ais on infested lakes instead of stickers and inspections. managing ais may turn into erradicating ais. But i kind of doubt it at this point.

Out of the Lib Trib this morning.

"Minnesota's 800,000 boaters would be subject to mandatory boat inspections for invasive species before launching their craft, under a bill approved Thursday by a House-Senate conference committee.

The bill also requires boat owners to pass a course on how to prevent the spread of aquatic invasive species before they could trailer their boats anywhere. Those hauling other water-related equipment, such as docks or boat lifts, also would have to pass the course.

Those passing the course would get a trailer decal that would allow them to transport their boat. Though the decal would be mandatory, a violation is punishable only by a warning, under the bill.

The bill, which now goes before the Legislature's full House and Senate, gives the Department of Natural Resources authority to establish regional inspection stations at or near water accesses."

That's what we need! More laws! If there is one thing a zebra mussel or silver carp fear, it is state classroom educated, boaters, with a shiny decal.

crazy

The media is starting to really play on this AIS thing now as well. Soon it will be the next Bird flue, global warming, and everyone will be scared to go on the water.

Yeah! More stickers! blush

Doesnt the govt have anything else better to do, like pass a stadium bill or something?

Doesnt the govt have anything else better to do, like pass a stadium bill or something?

Now that is a good one! LOL

Talk about hypocritical! ;-) Purple Homers. :-)

what about all the none resident boats coming into the state or am I singled out to take a test and sticker my boat because I live in Mn.

Why draw the line at watercraft?? Maybe we should have all the

swimmers at beaches get screened too!!!

Step behind the partition and get your junk screened here!!!