• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

2012-2013 Gophers

Scott M

Nice adjustments by the Iowa coaching staff. They had to change things up to get back into the game, going with a full court press and what looked like a 2-3 match up zone. I'm sure the Hawkeyes were waiting for the Gophers to make a counter move but walla, they were able to stay in that zone the rest of the game. Let's face it, the best we can do now is 9-9 in the conference, but that would include a win against Purdue which will probably not happen. We may have to make a deep run in the conference tourney to secure a spot in the dance. NIT with this team after a 15-1 start is not acceptable, I know who most of us think should be held accountable DR. J.!!!

• Replies 439
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Scott M

• schmitty3

• DrJuice1980

• YiGGiN4SLoBS

Unbelievable. Does Tubby know what a zone defense is? We stand there with 3 guys passing it around the perimeter until there is no time on the shot clock then throw it away. I did not see them have somebody running the baseline once. It was wide open the entire time they were running the zone.

Then there is Otto Osieneks. I have know idea how he is playing DI basketball. He is suppose to be a 3 point shooter, but he's shooting somewhere around 10% from behind the line, most of the misses being air balls. Then the boneheaded passes that turn to lay ups for Iowa.

If Tubby was allowed to board the plane, more tax money was wasted. State should contest his buy out.

Watch the U go with Trent Tucker and continue the embarrassment.

They can burn that locker room "Tubby shufffle" video from last week. They never should have shown it in the first place. If they practiced basketball as much as they practice dance moves they would still be in the top ten.

I did not watch the game as I was fishing for most of the day and did not want to be glued to the radio, and I was not going to sit up until 3am watching a replay. I do know this; Iowa is a tough place to play for any team. They are not a easy win for anybody. This has got to be the strongest the big ten has been in a very very long time. All they need is 3 more wins and they're into the dance. And in all honesty who knows what will happen then.

I didn't see a lick of the game, but I read about it, and it's not surprising. Tubby coaches mentally fragile teams, leaves them woefully unprepared, and instills no confidence in them.

They will make the NCAA tournament, but it's looking like another one and done, which is a huge disappointment for this team. I predict they will lose their next 2 and win their last 3. That puts them .500 in the conference, 21 wins, a good shot to win an opening round matchup in the BTT. Still a huge disappointment. Yes, the Big Ten is deep, but they have the better talent over Iowa, Northwestern, Wisconsin, Illinois. Win those games and they'd be 13-5 in the conference and ranked. Tubby makes too much and the expectations should be high enough that anything other than a Sweet 16 should be a disappointment.

I was out fishing also and did not see the game.... fished for over twenty four hours in a buddys wheelhouse on an overnighter and caught 2 fish. Weather was terrible right along with the fishing. BUT i garuntee it was better then watching another pathetic display of basketball by the gophs. 51 points again? My god, pick the best 5 intermural all stars at the U and they could score more then this team. These guys cant throw the ball into the ocean. Ever heard of recruiting a couple guys that can actually SHOOT THE BALL tubby???? I hope Tubby is starting to feel the heat and hear some of the criticism he so richly deserves. This program has been the same broken record since he took over. Tough in non-conference against the South Dakota St.'s and American U's of the world with a couple quality wins mixed in and boderline pathetic, falling apart, getting worse as the season goes on in the big ten EVERY YEAR! He has no injuries or people playing out of position for an excuse this year either. Maybe he should think about getting rid of drunk drivin Sol and get some assistants that can actually coach and show him a thing or two.

Im not sure if i can even watch another game this year, just makes my blood pressure rise. 2 million for this guy???? wow

I cant belive that game after game they just keep falling apart. They started the season so well and when they play these teams that are decent they can't win.

Unless Tubby gets a win or two in the NCAA tourney (if we get in) he's gone. He's 38-52 in the Big Ten. This team has so much potential, er had. If we only had a leader...

If we only had a leader...

Yeah, its too bad Williams cant bring it every day, he does fold a lot under pressure.....

Watching this MSU Indiana game. There's seriously going to be 3 #1 seeds out of this conference. For the gophs to be in sixth behind Wisconsin, Illinois, and Ohio St is just about where this teams talent should be. Yeah it would've been nice to pick up 2 wins against NW and Iowa but that's the road in the big 10. It's never easy. If we were in the big 12 we'd have 4 losses and then reality would slap you in the face come tourney time. I'd rather have the big 10 conditioning and have a game against the likes of an Arkansas or Alabama 1st round rather than a 4 seed dropping to a 13.

Talent wise we are way better than Wisconsin and Illinois. How can you say Wisconsin has better talent than the Gophers? The Gophers are much more talented then Wisconsin, only difference is Wisconsin has a great coach, and the Gophers have a terrible coach. Bo Ryan could take a good high school team and compete in the big ten. Tubby can take a high seed tournament team and send them to the NIT.

Bo Ryan could take a good high school team and compete in the big ten.

And you think my comments are questionable?

This team should be behind Indiana, Michigan, and Ohio State. A fourth place finish and respectable showings against the aforementioned teams would be commendable. Falling short of that, it has been and will continue to be a disappointment. No decent college coach is going to watch tape of this team before the Big Dance and not know how to knock the Gophers out - zone defense, limiting transition, forcing turnovers, hitting the offensive rebounds, shooting 3's...there's plenty on the rap sheet to go off of. And it's not like only the Big Ten teams can execute that game plan.

You think we're better than Michigan State? Please da_chise. Better talent better coach. No way we should be above them.

Bo Ryan could take a good high school team and compete in the big ten.

And you think my comments are questionable?

I was obviously being sarcastic with the high school quote. Your standards are ridiculously low. How can you be satisfied hovering around .500 in conference play with this team? It the mind set you have that always screws over the Gophers. They go into those big games and expect to lose. Aside from the Michigan State they have lost every big match up. Yea they beat Wisconsin, but I thought they looked terrible that game, and if it was for Bruesiwitz's bone headed play running the base line they would have lost. On paper at the start of the year they were a team that was suppose to challenge for a big ten championship, now they are a team looking to get into the NCAA tournament. That is pathetic.

Better coach by a country mile, not better talent if anything its a draw. State is playing out of their minds of late, but that's why you want to play them early as the Gophers did. It's splitting hairs if they finish 5 or 6, I expected a split this year and that's what we got. When the final B1G standings are out, check and see where a 13-5 record puts them. If you don't want to wait that long, go see where it would get you in years past. Not any worse than fourth. But the Gophers never exceed expectations.

Switch rosters and give them a year and Izzo would have the Gophers ranked in the top 10 and Tubby would have the Spartans middling.

I wish this website would let you search beyond 3 years, I remember a post I made about watching an ESPN behind the scenes program "All Access: XY University" I remember watching Izzo and Krzyzewski talking about practicing hard mentally and watching them push players to do things better. Then they showed a Minnesota practice in a different episode and guys are jogging and Tubby is just walking around aimlessly and mumbling basketball coaching cliches. We'll never know what happens on the practice floor, but it's irreleveant. It's a results oriented business and Tubby's failing by most every standard.

Williams has been a disappointment, so has Mbakwe at times, dre Hollins needs to find consistency, and their bench has not been there. I had high hopes for Eliason and he has disappointed as well. I don't blame Tubby for all of this. I don't think he is innocent by any means but it's up to the players execution and that hasn't been there. Do you really think during a TO Tubby draws up those plays? You can see by his frustration that they're aren't running it like they should. Is Tubby to hard on the boys? Um have you heard what other coaches say? I don't think anything he's made public is false or wrong at all. Bill Self's tirade last week seemed pretty bad, how did Kansas react? It's up to the players to play.

I would never put Tubby in the catagory of Izzo or Coach K. I don't think we will ever attract a coach like that here. Maybe if we spend the bucks on a practice facility we might but without that we have zero chance.

Wow!! Someone has some serious misconceptions about the Big 10.

I'm sorry, but 3 #1 seeds is hilarious. And if the Gophers were in the Big 12, Big East, PAC 12 or any other major conference for that matter, they'd have the same record they do now. The Big 10 is NOT at a different level. Sorry.

You can't win in a major conference with a weak defense and no offense. This team has players with alot of individual talent. But it's the coaches job at a minimum to make those talents fit together and work as a team. Some coaches even step outside the box and actually work to make their players better and learn new skills. grin

A lot of big time coaches would LOVE to be in a situation like at the U.. Any coach that comes here and turns it around would be treated like royalty.

Not that there are a ton of D1 prospects in MN., but if the UofM had a successful program not many would leave the state.

Indiana, Michigan, and Michigan State are all potential #1 seeds. How can you argue that? Please let me know because I can not see your logic what so ever. Also can not understand the idea that the Big 10 is not at a different level but I guess you will see when theres 7 teams that make the tourney, more than any other conference. That means the Big 10 is on a different level. Sorry to you when youre wrong.

The Big 10 is perennially over rated. That's why they always get 6 or 7 teams in every year. And every year without fail, half of them lose in the first round. This year they do have four legitimately good teams (one #1 seed)and one borderline tourney team. The bottom seven teams are average to below average and do not deserve a tourney bid, but two of those teams will most likely get in anyway.

The Big East will send 7-8 teams

The Big Ten will send 7 (should be five)

The Big twelve and PAC 12 will each send 6

Hardly proof of a better talent level.

Those four conferences are roughly equal. Difference being that the other three conferences have a better consistency of talent top to bottom vs a top heavy Big 10. This makes it tougher to run up a high number of wins, but also make them better prepared for the tourney, which is why they last longer.