• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

2012-2013 Gophers

Scott M

Rough game. Dre Hollins gave the Gophers his best shot, but it wasn't enough. They made a game out of it heading into the final 8-9 minutes but had to play perfect to close it and couldn't. The refs were inconsistent but it didn't cost the Gophers this game. Minnesota didn't do a good job defending the 3 point line on cross-screening action.

Dre Hollins needs the green light more often but it's going to get a lot harder for him with more attention and even less backcourt help next year.

This team was dead in the water going into halftime (-24) and got it down to 8 points so at least they showed some grit.

I'm not sure how to judge this season, it's still too early to say. A better seed might have helped but they didn't earn one. I see Florida coming out of the South. Are the Gophers a top 32 team? Yes. Are they a top 16 team? Probably not. With a little luck in some pairings they might have made it. Too many turnovers, bad defensive rebounding and 3 point defense, limited offensive players, an inconsistent bench, and an inability to imbound the ball were some repetitive deficiencies.

• Replies 439
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Scott M

• schmitty3

• DrJuice1980

• YiGGiN4SLoBS

The game was what it was. But to leave the only offensive weapon that night on the bench for 6 min down 13-15 with 4 fouls is hopefully gonna get him out of here. 6yrs, 1 ncaa win, see ya!

Should be an interesting week. The two in bounds turnovers after time outs in the first half, Otto and Mav getting minutes, Dre on the bench with 4 fouls and then switching him out with Welch offense for defense was laughable. Not developing any players in six years, the transfers and 9th place in the Big Ten this year.

Sounds like Izzo has Tyus Jones wrapped up. I don't think Tubby even goes to his games anymore. Hopefully he is one and done and we don't have to watch that for more than 1 year.

Was it just me or did the 2 guys that came off the bench when Dre had his fouls look lost out there.

Listening to KFAN on Sat (In the Zone) and a caller said that the alums have Tubby's buyout on the table. Where there's smoke there's Fire Tubby!

Tough to watch another slow start, yes Dre sat for way too long. They've habitually put themselves in big holes and you can't do that in the tournament. They needed a consistent aggressive effort from start to finish and only did so in spurts.

Tom Powers framed the discussion fairly well in his Pioneer Press column.

It'll be interesting to see what happens next. Gophers had a lot of problems with defending screens, on and off ball, and rotations. Florida didn't have near the problems and ate a lot of clock by double teaming the ball on defense. I think Donovan is a pretty good coach - if they replayed the game and switched coaches, I could see Donovan drawing up a win.

I am happier now than I was when then won agaisnt UCLA!

But guys, Sid said it will be a big mistake, given all that Tubby had accompished here! Laugh, he accomplished nothing!

Agreed, first time as a fan I felt conflicted hoping for a win. Orlando sucked the fun out of being a fan.

ESPN.com

Minnesota has fired coach Tubby Smith, deciding to buy out the remaining four years of his contract a day after the Gophers' ouster Sunday in the NCAA tournament's Round of 32 with a loss to Florida, CBSSports.com has reported.

The Gophers had signed Smith, 61, to a three-year extension through the 2016-17 season in July.

Tubby Smith

Smith

He is making close to $2 million annually, with a $600,000 base salary plus 5 percent annual raises he's been entitled to since 2008 and supplemental compensation of $1.2 million.

The former Kentucky coach's contract states if his deal is terminated before April 30, 2016, the university will pay one-half of his base salary and supplemental compensation for each of the remaining seasons on the contract. The total amount cannot exceed $2.5 million.

The 11th-seeded Gophers were 21-13 and 8-10 in the Big Ten after the 78-64 loss to the No. 3 seed Gators.

In 2012, they finished with 23 victories, the most by the program since the 1996-97 Final Four season that was later erased by NCAA punishment, but they needed a run to the NIT championship game to get there.

• 1 month later...

From the Pioneer Press:

Gophers senior forwards Trevor Mbakwe and Rodney Williams are hoping to impress teams to get selected in next month’s draft, but only one of them will be attending the NBA pre-draft camp in Chicago on May 16-17.

Mbakwe was among the list of 61 participants for the draft combine released Thursday (NBA combine invites). Also included were former Gophers and Colorado State center Colton Iverson, Bucknell center Mike Muscala from Roseville, Minn., and South Dakota State point guard Nate Wolters from St. Cloud.

Not surprised Williams didn't get invited, he regressed if anything his senior year. I am still scratching my head over how Tubby could misjudge Iverson so much. No idea why he loved RSIII over him.

No kidding. To coach a kid 3 years and not realize that talent that was in there is deplorable for a coach. I am a Tubby hater from way back. Just one more inexcusable thing he did on the job.

I sure hope that Pit does better. I am keeping an open mind on him.

I hope Coleman has a school in mind. He would have got some time as a 3 guard pressing and attacking under pitino. We'll see what comes of it. I wish him the best.

I gotta believe he left cuz he knows he cant shoot the 3. That is something Pitino has said they will do. They will run, press and shoot the 3, so I bet Joe saw the writing on the wall.

I gotta believe he left cuz he knows he cant shoot the 3. That is something Pitino has said they will do. They will run, press and shoot the 3, so I bet Joe saw the writing on the wall.

Wouldn't be surprised. A guard/wing that can't hit a 3 in D1 college is very limited, unless they can consistently create their own shot and get to the basket. Disappointing he hasn't been able to develop one.

• 1 month later...

Tonight's NBA draft saw Mike Muscala, Nate Wolters, and Colton Iverson get drafted, while Trebor Mbakwe and Rodney Williams watched from home. During Rodney's freshman season he was projected as a lottery pick. Tells you a lot about what happened under Tubby.

• 2 weeks later...