• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

2012-2013 Gophers

Scott M

California Los Angeles versus your Golden Gophers on Friday, 6 vs. 11 seeds in the South region, game to be played in Austin.

They could spring an upset if they can control turnovers but if you can't do it in 32 games why would it start now? Even if they can advance, Florida is a pretty tough squad that should go fairly deep.

• Replies 439
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Scott M

• schmitty3

• DrJuice1980

• YiGGiN4SLoBS

Heres your chance Tubby. Get em to the sweet 16 and make up for that pathetic second half, and frankly a disappointing 6 years.

An 11 seed. Lunardi had them picked as a 10 seed a several weeks back when their record was better and I thought that was too low. They had some games that should've been locks for the win column left to play at that time. My how times have changed. Part of Tubby's master plan to sand bag and make their attempt to get to the Sweet 16 easier? That would be giving him too much credit. They would've been left out of the Big Dance had they not beaten IN methinks. Yessir, with UCLA's big gun on the shelf after breaking his leg at the end of their last game, they probably stand a decent chance to win one if they play the way they're capable of. However, this is the same team that found ways to lose to teams like NE, IA, Purdue and Northwestern so I am not getting my hopes up. If they win great, I'm pleasantly surprised and if not, I have invested no emotional capital. If Tubby keeps his job and he probably will, he absolutely has to do something about the stench of the practically nonexistent offense. Another season worse than this one (and it has the potential to be) and he could be taking one of those rumored jobs if he doesn't get run out of town first. I don't hate the guy, I'm just frustrated with the way the program has gone the past 6 years. They played better when he was first here with Monson's players than with what he's recruited since they left. Disappointing.

Well said Dotch, I thought the Gophers would be much better off within the past 6 years than what has developed. He got guys to play hard and scrappy back when he started and those are the kind of teams that anyone can get behind.

Gavin Schilling makes a decision on Wednesday, Gophers are a finalist and he sees that he'd have a great opportunity to get some big frontcourt minutes.

I wonder if Tubby won't shake up the assistant coaches to throw the dogs off. That is unless he makes a Sweet 16 run.

The lines will start popping up later this week; but UCLA has trouble rebounding and its one thing the Gophers do well on offense (okay, Mbakwe does it). Anything can happen with this team, in the sense of they could blow the doors off UCLA or get blown out, but early on its a popular upset pick. I've seen too much bloodshed to get behind the Gophers in a pick em pool, but I'll still root for them to pull the upset and play for a trip to another city. One saving grace is its a neutral court site. Between home and neutral, they aren't too bad. It's on the road when the demons really show up.

. One saving grace is its a neutral court site. Between home and neutral, they aren't too bad. It's on the road when the demons really show up.

I think this is spot on. This is the one chance the gophers have. They are decent at home and neutral sites. I just hope they dont embarrass themselves like they have most of the second half of the season. They are lucky to be in the dance with a 9TH PLACE finish in the big ten.

they'll show some flash in this tournament before they get beat. they'll either be up big on somebody before they blow it or win two games, then get blown out in the sweet 16.

What is really sad about this is Tubby gets a $100,000 dollar bonus it they get in.

Now I hear another $150,000 for a first round win. Haven't heard anything for further wins. Don't think anyone is looking that far ahead. Interim coach sounding better all the time.

Besides the world series this is my favorite title to watch. Just dropped to last after inviting the gophers. What a joke, win or not.

So much hate, geez. Lets be a little more negative here. It's tourney time, the local squad is in, everybody is 0-0, and you're mad? Personally I can't wait to watch the game. I think they have a great chance with UCLAs big man out. Florida round 2 isn't out of the question either. Georgetown has been hot lately but they have been a little iffy this year and They're never that reliable come tourney time. If its one thing the Gophs have been this year it's been unreliable but they got a chance.... Can't wait! All you negatives will be watching for a loss, don't call yourselves fans.

How many times would Indiana beat these Gophers out of 100? And Indiana would beat Florida more often than not.

I will be living a conundrum during the game. I love the Gophers and want them to win short term....but at the expense of long term? By that I mean if they win now, Tubby may save his job, which dooms us to having a bad team for another year at least. This team has the talent to probably win it all with a great coach. Can they make some noise despite having a horrible coach? I dunno. On one hand I will be cheering for every basket.....then when they cut to a shot of Tubby, I will wonder if I should hope for a loss so we can turn the program around. In the end, I find it impossible to hope they lose. Best case scenario.....Tubby gets ejected every game in the first 5 minutes, they win the championship and Tubby retires! Booya!

Giant Killers from ESPN

Never in the history of Giant Killers has a game materialized in this way. On Wednesday, our model ranked UCLA as the Giant most vulnerable to a potential upset. Then, on Friday, it pegged Minnesota as the second-best likely GK, behind only VCU, which earned a 5-seed and thus can't be a GK. The result is an upset rating the likes of which we've never seen, with the Golden Gophers expected to win three-quarters of the time. And that's based on stats UCLA accumulated with Jordan Adams, who is now lost for the season with a broken foot.

Even subjective analysts latched on this game immediately on Sunday, targeting Minnesota's rebounding prowess and UCLA's weakness inside. But they didn't know the extent to which that stat will matter; our model shows that offensive rebounding is a consistently strong trait among successful GKs and a standard weakness for slain Giants. The Gophers, of course, lead the nation in offensive boards (44.3 percent). UCLA is just 227th (30.2 percent). Good luck keeping Trevor Mbakwe and Rodney Williams off the glass.

Oddly, the Adams injury could inadvertently force UCLA to match up better with the Gophers. The Bruins went small after a slow start this season -- moving Kyle Anderson to the 4 -- to improve their suspect man-to-man defense and spread the floor on offense. Now, they have essentially no backcourt depth, and it might make sense to play two bigs most of the time with Anderson at the 3 and Shabazz Muhammad at the 2. But in the Pac-12 final, Ben Howland opted to stay small for the most part. We'll see if he changes his mind.

Losing Adams creates two other problems for UCLA, though. He had the highest steal rate on the team, another key factor for Giants. And he had the most made 3-pointers on a team that struggles from deep. That's rough for UCLA, especially considering the Gophers also force plenty of steals.

It is somewhat scary that this game has become such a popular upset pick. But our model is oblivious to such feeble human woes, and loves this matchup more than any other game on the board.

Well, round of 32 is looking like a real possibility. I'll go against what I said earlier and take them in some of my pools.

As much as i want to, its hard to go with this upset and i bleed maroon and gold..This team and coach look and act like they are already beat! I look at their eyes and body language and something is wrong...I still remember the day i graduated from U of MN grad school, i went home and watched willie burton go off for 40 some points with a broken nose and gophers went to sweet 16 and knocked off syracuse..then it was bobby jackson taking the whole team on his back to the final four and lynch missing the 3 against GT. What a ride. I have been hooked ever since....go gophers...

I'm picking them in the first round, would like to see them go deep, but one win is all they will be able to get, max. It will be interesting to see what the AD does when the Gophs are eliminated, next year might be a struggle whoever is coaching. All I know is uncertainty at the coaches future could eliminate any chance of getting even 1 of the 3 Mn kids hurts the chances of getting recruits to fill out next years roster also.

I heard an analysis of giant killers and the first criteria was maximizing your offensive possessions. The pundit then went on to say that because we rebound well, we maximize. but what he failed to say is we turn the ball over at an alarming rate....this is not maximizing. It also doesnt mentioned that we were outclassed by a 350 lb behemoth who averaged like 0.8 points per game in Nebraska and that we fold the moment we hit a little adversity and dont have a coach than coach us out of it.

Minn 65 UCLA 63

Then the whoopin'. Fla 82 Minn 56

Well only a couple of days to the game i sure hope the gophers can pull off a win. There are a lot of people saying that the gophers have a good chance. Depends on what gopher team desides to show up.

the guards have to step up and carry us. somone needs to get hot now..dre needs to get the green light. he can carry us with his shooting..shoot early and shoot often...we have lacked that leader.. tubby's been talking about that too..get the guards into the game early. we can control the inside.. otherwise it will be the standing around, hestitating and turnovers that it creates..push the tempo up!!! thats when coleman is most effective...stop standing around and take it to the hole..

Well the game is tonight lets hope that the gophers come to this game to play would be nice to see them win.

Very poor officiating here. I guess consist inconsistency is the way to go. Got to be a record for whistle blows

Gophs couldn't get a better matchup. They had deer in the headlights at the tap but didn't get jumped by the opposition. UCLA is 7 deep, bigs in foul trouble, and Mohammad couldn't hit a shot in the first half. Nice job taking care of the orange and good contributions from the bench. I'll cross my fingers against Florida. Dre Hollins really carried this squad. Florida is going to be trying to keep him outta the lane and guarding his 3 point attempts. Would be nice to see some other guys step up on Sunday.

Florida defends the 3 point line very well. The Gophers are going to need their best performances of the year out of Mbakwe and Williams. It's time for the seniors to step up and play like leaders.

If they do that, this game could go the Gophers way!

the way the first 5 minutes started with no FG i was hoping to see a 20-18 finish laugh good to see them win but they need to step it up big for the Florida game

Oseniks needs to have his time limited. He played way to many minutes last night. At one point I saw him jog right past a loose ball rolling. Williams needs to stop taking bad shots and needs to clean up the boards and block shots. The Hollins boys need to put in the same effort and Mbakwe needs the touches down low and get Yugete in foul trouble. Eliason needs to be the player we all know he can be and show up like last night and big Mo needs to be an athlete out there and stay on his feet, he flops way too much.

Oseniks needs to have his time limited. He played way to many minutes last night. At one point I saw him jog right past a loose ball rolling.

I've been saying this all year. He is terrible. I guess he can fit into the zone, and rebound a bit, but he is a HUGE liability on the offensive end. I have never seen a player throw up so many air balls and bricks off the side of the rim in my life. When in the game Florida can pretty much just double the ball and leave him open lol.