• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

2012-2013 Gophers

Scott M

It's not Tubby. It's the players and lack of backbone. Calling for Tubby to be fired is rediculous. Who are we going to get? This is not Kansas, Duke, NC, Michigan, Michigan state, Syracuse, Ohio State etc and will never be. We can't draw those players and we never will. And even those schools have their downs. Tubby does a good job with the program, he makes steak from a s**t sandwich. Remember who we had before? You seriously want to dump Tubby for another Monson? Get real guys. Tubby brought us back to being respectable, you want to give up on a guy who's had success everywhere he's been, won a national champ. for a "gamble" coach? Great win tonight Tubby, your players almost lost it again not exicuting after a TO.

Dr. J, don't have a lot of time as I'm heading outta town here, so I'll make it short and we can revisit this later or others can jump in...the mentality that Sid Hartman and others have about "who are we gonna get that's better?" sounds like a domestic abuse victim that can't leave a physical relationship. This team has one of the best small court venues in America and should have a huge home court advantage, plays on ESPN and BTN regularly, has two major market radio stations and newspapers covering it, a revamped locker room, a fan base that worships a winner, numerous career opportunities when basketball is done, and likely will have a practice facility within a couple years. If you can't recruit people to those conditions, you're doing something wrong. You compare recruiting here to the power houses, and you're right, Minnesota is a dark horse recruiting against them, but there's enough talent to go around.

For me personally, Tubby's leash has become incredibly short. He's had plenty of talent but has managed less than mediocre results. He's infallible, can't make in-game adjustments, can't coach up players and instead runs them down, can't consistently recruit, can't develop players, and hasn't shown Power Conference Basketball X's and O's. Good teams win despite player shortcomings, defections, injuries...He can't do that. I'm happy Tubby came and righted the ship, but he's leaving a whole lotta wins on the table regularly. I believe it's a matter of expectations. Minnesota is not Kentucky, but then again it's not some Ivy League cellar dweller either.

• Replies 439
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Scott M

• schmitty3

• DrJuice1980

• YiGGiN4SLoBS

Well watching it in person was.....painful. The excitement of the Barn was great, but man, that offense was horrible. On the postgame, he said one of his ex-assistants called him up and suggested a new wrinkle to the offense and they used it and it worked. Well, DUH! Everyone and their hair stylist has been calling for that for a LONG time. If this team plays up tempo, they win. If they dont, they wont. Pretty simple as they have a horrible half court offense. So, looking at the postseason, what does that mean? that means we can win against most teams if they wanna run. But the first time we face a team that plays Wisconsiny-type ball, we are done. Or if we shoot ourselves in the foot with turnovers we are done. Or if Tubby scares them even more than they already are we are done. My prediction at this point is a #8 seed and lose in the first round.

By the way, Rodney shot about 8-10 shots from half court before the game playing with the crowd. I guess that shoulder isnt too bad afterall.

Both Maverick and Coleman hardly missed any jumpers during warmup. Joe Coleman. Really.

da_chise, You are correct. Tubby won the championship WITH PITINO'S players. He got ran outta Kentucky. Dont gloss over that point. He was a head coach at a power school and got fired for lack of success. He has NOT righted the ship. How many tourney wins do we have? Huh? Add them up for me. Zip, Zero, Nada. He has NEVER finished in the top tier in the Big Ten. Not once. He has also never won the Big Ten tourney. What possible success can you point to? Oh, have you been following his player defections? Iverson is averaging a double double on a top 25 team (yes, C ST is rated ahead of us). Cobbs and Joseph went on to big success. White had success (yeah, he is a headcase, but the defection list is long and he is on it). That is 4 solid players that have left the program. That is too many.

As far as recruiting. Wisc started 2 MN players last night. We have 3 big time recruits coming up (Jones, Vaughn, and Travis). Clem and Monson kept the big names here for the most part (Pryzbilla, Rickert, Humphries). If Flubby cant get 2 out of 3 of those guys, something is major league wrong with your system and you better do something to fix it.

I am sick of the excuses for him. Either win or move on.

You guys think we live in title town or something. Get real.

PS, Tyus will not be attending the U, wake up from your dreams....

juice,

Kris Humphries doesnt count? Lets see, you want the big time recruits and say we cant get them but then dismiss them because he left early for the NBA? That is flippin' redunkulous. Did you see what happened to Kentucky last year? Joel Pryzbilla is another pro. And guess what, that Monson guy you love to rip? He recruited them both. So apparently, as bad as you say Monson was, he could recruit better than Tubby. Rickert had a tiny cup of coffee up there as well.

So Clem Haskins (Final Four team, remember) and Dan Monson could keep the local talent home, but Tubby cant and it somehow isnt his fault? Local talent is enough to win. We have what, 3 of the top 25 high school juniors in the NATION! All of them have MN on their list. Look at the MN talent out there right now in college....Wolters, Berggren, Bruesewitz, others.

If you are satisfied with 5-13 in the Big Ten and a few wins in the NIT every 5 years Tubby is your guy. Nothing like setting your goals high.

Humpries was set to go to Duke and when that fell through he stayed here because he had no other choice. Rickert's dad filled that kids head with so much hope, and he never had the talent, he stayed here because he was certain it didnt matter where he went-he was going pro and he didnt want to be far from home. He didnt come because of Monson. We simply missed the boat and got the wrong guy there, we should have targeted Few.

Juice, are you sol smith in secret or something? Or Joel Maturi? I dont get the rabid defense of tubby. Its your opinion, thats fine. But wow you make MN seem like one of the least desirable schools for any athlete to ever attend.

Keep blaming the players (that tubby recruited) and pedistalizing tubby. He won a title with someone elses players at kentucky and then when his "guys" came in he was nothing but mediocre and they ran him out of town cuz he couldnt take the heat. My guess is he'll leave for a southern school before it gets that bad here- and thats fine with me. He pulls the same garbage every off season.. rumors about this school going after him and that school just to leverage the U to pay him more. Im getting sick of that act. Put up or shut up and get out tubby. Lets see some quality big ten wins the rest of the way and in the big ten tourney.. lets see a seed above 9 and at least ONE tourney win or dont let the door hit you and your 5th grade offense on the way out

I not Sol, Im coach Kill. Just wanting to plant seeds of mediocracy at the U because my program is heading the same direction.....

btw, a title is a title no matter what the circumstances. It takes a special coach to get there regardless of the talent. And the U is not a highly desirable destination for athletes. MN's climate is a killer to those speedy southern boys.

Michigan, Mich St, Wisc, and Ohio St are part of the banana belt, eh?

Humphries came here. Period. He could of went a lot of places as well as Joel. Recruiting here is not as hard as you make it. It can be a solid Big Ten school. 2 guys from this roster will get a shot at the NBA. As I said, you dont need southern boys. MN talent is good enough if we keep them here. Throw in the occasional ND, SD, NE, or WI talent and we have plenny of talent here. Even Kentucky, Duke and NC would drool at a recruiting class of Jones, Vaughn, and Travis. Pull off that trio and you have the #1 class in the country.

Talent wins championship and what, 4 guys went to the NBA from Tubbys title team? Or was it 5? Cant remember. Since then? Nada. A steady decline.

No those schools are not in the banana belt but if you were a blue chipper where would you choose to play, MSU with Izzo where you are locked in to a final four if you stay for 4 years or be a Golden Gopher? Would you rather have the campus life at Wisc, or here? Would you rather play for Thads program that continues to pump out NBAers or a program that has put out less than a handful in 10+ yrs? Dont be bias either. Your thoughts of us being a top 10 draw are way out in outer space man, we arent even a top 20 draw bud so when Tubby gets this wack team to the sweet 16 you'll be singing a different tune.

You are completely wrong on Humphries he chose here because Coach K didnt want the one and done and it was too late in the game for others to go hard after him. Monson said he didnt care and Humphries settled for the U.

I never said they were a top 10 draw. I did say that it is possible to lure top level talent here and there is precedent with a coach that even you say was worse than the Tubster. I guess we should call Tyus and tell him we are not interested cuz he might only be here 1 year. I dont care how you get the top talent; you either get it or you dont. I am not wrong on Kris at all. He could have went to many different schools and played here. There are many weird battles in the recruiting war. I dont know about you, but I take as many 1 and done players as I can get.

And okay, what if Tubby doesnt get this team to the Sweet 16 with 2 guys who will get a shot in the NBA? Huh? We just all smile and say, Oh Flubby, you are so great to go 7-11 with the best team we have had in awhile? Next year I will be sooooo happy if you could go 3-15 in the Big Ten?

by the way, when is the genius gonna get a half court offense? Or do you think that is stellar too?

Nobody wanted Humphries Dads demands for playing time and Coach K was WAY above that. Monson is a tool and was looking for a selfish player with talent.

Juice. Name me one player that Tubby has recruited and turned into a top player in his 4 years here. At the end of the Iowa game with less than 60 seconds left Tubby is screaming at his players while trying to get a tying basket. Joe Coleman threw the ball away because Tubby was ranting away at him and he lost his concentration. And Tubby just keeps screaming away. Its time for Tubby to go and start over again.. DrJ..

The kid threw the ball away because of Tubby. Wow, sound like you are just searching for reasons to call for his head. He yelled at Joe Coleman and Tubby caused a turnover. Do you know how absolutely rediculous that sounds? I bet next you'll tell me Ralph Sampsons softness was Tubbys fault. Or maybe Hoffarbers poor ball handling skills was Tubbys doings as well.

The kid threw the ball away because of Tubby. Wow, sound like you are just searching for reasons to call for his head. He yelled at Joe Coleman and Tubby caused a turnover. Do you know how absolutely rediculous that sounds? I bet next you'll tell me Ralph Sampsons softness was Tubbys fault. Or maybe Hoffarbers poor ball handling skills was Tubbys doings as well.

I believe he causes his players to play scared, contributing to all of the above. I can't think of a single player who has gotten better under tubby, but plenty who've regressed. Just my opinion, of course.

Tubby hasn't done anything. He has made it to 1 NCAA tourney mainly because of the players that Monson recruited(Nolen, Westbrook, Hoffarber). He makes boneheaded subs throughout games, and never changes the way he subs depending on the opponent. It's like he goes into every game no matter who we play we the same exact subs coming in at the same exact time.

Also you can't blame the players for not having any movement on offense year after year. It's not that hard to institute some sort of motion offense that they can get in to. Also they have one of the most athletic teams in the nation, why not run on other teams. We should be running off misses and makes, and the rare times that they do they score. I just don't get the slowing it down until the shot clock is under 10 then throwing up a prayer.

Anytime Tubby lets them run they take poor shots and miss. Did you watch the game the other day? Most of the first 10 minutes were straight up shots, no offensive tempo at all. Tubby needs to slow it down and work off the pick and rolls to create space because these guys aren't good at doing it on their own.

Anytime Tubby lets them run they take poor shots and miss. Did you watch the game the other day? Most of the first 10 minutes were straight up shots, no offensive tempo at all. Tubby needs to slow it down and work off the pick and rolls to create space because these guys aren't good at doing it on their own.

So your saying they get good shots when they slow it down and run the half court??? Cuz that would be the farsest statement youve made yet. They are HORRIBLE in tubbys half court offense, borderline unwatchable. Thats fairly obvious to anyone that watches the games. They havent scored over 57 points in about the last 10 games playing that slow half court game and it took em till overtime to get there! Pathetic. other teams are BEGGING the gophers to run their half court right now

Were you crying about it not working earlier in the season when they were ranked like #10? What you have to understand is this years big ten is freaking stacked. Every game is tough (exception: PSU, Neb.). 3 of the 4 #1 seeds can easily be big ten schools. So to say Tubby is running it into the ground is just plain dumb but go ahead and drink the Tubby sucks flavored kool-aid. I'm surprised you haven't gone to the depths of blaming affirmative action on him keeping his job. Tubby is a good coach, look at how many 20+ win seasons he has had. Not many others can claim that in D-1 men's hoops. Sure...... He's garbage, yeah right.

THEY WERE PLAYING UP TEMPO EARLIER and RUNNING! Do you watch the games? I understand the big ten is tough. I also understand tubby is a DECENT coach. Hes not even close to the John Wooden you make him sound like. He gets out coached WAY too often in the big ten and thats a fact

Tubbys all time record in the big ten- 44-58. Hes never finished higher then 6th place. Those are facts and they speak for themselves. Not hard to get to 20 wins when more then half of them come in the nonconference schedule against the South Dakota St's of the world. Keep talking like hes the best ever. I suppose its all the players fault though, huh?

Ask Blake Hofbauer how good of a coach he is. Move one of the best shooting guards in the country to point. Instead of wrecking one position he decided to wreck two positions. If he didn"t have at least one guy on the bench who could bring the ball up the court after Nolen got hurt, thats great recruiting. Thats all a player would have to do is get it into the front court.

Midway through the second half in todays Iowa game. We start out on fire. They make an adjustment by going into a zone. We fold. We are done. We have no clue how to handle the zone. Yet Tubby keeps running the SAME thing that DOESNT work. HORRIBLE coaching. He is getting terribly outcoached. I dare you to try and defend today's coaching. I mean, I understand this zone thing is new and nobody has really ever seen one before....or wait....has it been around for decades??? remind me again.

We were up by 16 and are now down by 10 with no clue how to attack a zone. Go ahead and explain how this isnt Tubby's fault. Even the announcers are puzzled why we dont attack it instead of thowing the ball around the perimeter. THAT DOES NOT WORK...HELLO! Time to try something else, eh?

OHMYGOSH. What a pathetic display. As soon as they went to the zone, we had no answer. My frustration is starting to turn to apathy. at this pace, we will be NIT first round losers. I seriously think St. Thomas would beat us handily if they played zone. I wonder if in this day and age if other teams scout us at all? (sarcasm) Cuz if they do, we wont win again unless we drasticly change our approach. Fire Tubby and find someone with a clue.

Anxiously awaiting to learn how this wasnt Tubby's flop.

Say, I wanted to comment about one thing earlier. Juice mentioned that Tubby wasnt at fault for Hoffarber's ball handling. First, Tubby has 2 defections (Cobbs and Joseph). Second, Blake was NOT a pg. He was a shooting guard. Tubby played him out of position and then took the gutless way out and publicly threw him under the bus. I remember that well and I lost all respect for Tubby as a person. To publicly critize a player for doing all he could do to help a team by playing out position was absolutely wrong. Would you criticize Mbakwe if he tried to play point guard? Note also that Rodney earlier this year felt that the starters were thrown under the bus. Sampson (and no, I am not a Sampson fan) also got thrown under the bus and publicly blamed by Tubby. You dont do that and retain the respect of players and bring in top level talent.

Another loss to a team of schlubs! If they wind up missing the cut for the Big Dance (this team suddenly appears fully capable of losing to IN, Penn St., OH St., NE, and Purdue) look at this one and the loss to Northworstern as 2 big reasons why. Absotively nothing positive about their performance today. P.U.! sick