• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

2012-2013 Gophers

Scott M

They're in even if they lose out (Nebraska, Purdue, BTT). Purdue is a plucky squad; they just won in the Kohl Center today. That will be a good matchup.

• Replies 439
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Scott M

• schmitty3

• DrJuice1980

• YiGGiN4SLoBS

No doubt they're in, just a matter of what seed based on their performance from here on out. They owe Purdue after a few years of the Robbie Hummel Show and getting their noses rubbed in it. Hope they kick the snot out of them. Unleash the Beast! smile

They should be locked into the tourney so far. They really seem to be pulling things together and peaking at the right time. Two exciting games in a row from the maroon & gold has created some optimism. I will point out that the "players only" meeting that seemed to have righted the ship was urged by the Tubster himself. Everything is rosy when the team is winning!

Hopefully they can bring there A game to the turney. Would love to see them win a couple of games or more.

Sweet 16 or bust! Am I asking too much?

Not at all, this team has the talent to be a sweet 16! Should help playing some teams not familiar with them, less chance of being outcoached...

Clearly more talent than Nebraska. Clearly outcoached yet again. There is absolutely NO defense of this silly-me Tubby! Why does he start and play Ingram? At this point in the season he is still searching for combinations? Hello? There were so many coaching errors in this it was comical. 0 fast break points? Talk about imposing your playing style on a clearly inferior team....

So the seniors play OK against a team with 1 win in the Big Ten so Tubby changes up the starting lineup which has been the same all year. Not only that our leading scorer is sitting on the bench to start the game. I don't know if he really thought the seniors were better or if he was taking this game for granted, but that was just stupid.

On a side note Austin Hollins could use a therapist. 0-14 in his last 14 attempts for 3? That's just brutal.

Wow, nice job Gophers. Rodney Williams, you're really impressing the scouts. Joe Coleman and Austin Hollins didn't show up either. Playing from behind against such a terrible team? Unreal. Someone want to tell the Gophers they aren't playing the NCAA tournament first round games at Williams Arena?

This team is a complete enigma. I would have called a Sweet 16 a success around New Years, that would be way overreaching for this team right now. They are headed for another one and done.

the way they are playing right now, if they played away from Williams Arena in the MIAC tourney, they would lose! If you cant get your team prepared to play games of this magnitude against the bottom dwellers of your conference, you do not deserve to be a head coach. It is that simple. They may pull off a nice win this year in one of the tourneys, but that doesnt change the fact that this coach will never take them far. He just doesnt get more out of his team than the sum of its parts. He gets less. Wisconsin is the opposite. Bo gets more out of his team than the talent he has to work with.

I miss Dan Monson.

Man this team is frustrating to watch.....You just never know what team will show up. One that could go deep in the big dance or one that does not belong on the dance floor.

It's only going to get worse with Tubby when his frontcourt is gone next year. The buyout is 2.5 million this year, 2.5 million next year. Beyond that? Well, I guess if you think 8 straight years of .500 or worse Big Ten play is acceptable, you'll be thrilled with the excitement of being on the bubble annually, one and dones when you do squeak in, and invitations to the CBI and NIT.

0-7 for Tubby's last 7 away Big Ten games. That's awful.

I honestly believe Shaka Smart has no interest in this job, but Teague does need to start canvassing the country looking for a replacement.

Can't really blame Tubby for missed free throws and open 3 pointers.

That's about as nice as I can be towards Tubby. He couldn't see that Iverson was better than Sampson III. He couldn't see that Cobb was a true point guard. He couldn't develop Rodney Williams. He allows Mbakwe to stay on team after all the off court issues. He can't coach x's and o's. He looks for another job the first 5 years here.

They look like a bunch of misfit basketball players from the island of misfit basketball players. Mbakwe is too short for center. Rodney can't shoot or drive. Hollins is a 2 that can't shoot except in practice. Andre Hollins is too short to play 2 guard so he has to play point. Mav and Welch aren't athletic enough to play in the Big Ten. Eliason just doesn't have a body. Mix in a coach that can't coach or develop or motivate and you get what you get.

This loss is indefensable. Starting Welsch at point is laughable. Shaka Smart may not want to come but I would be on the phone with flip saunders right now if i were Norwood....

That Nebraska team they lost to last night is pure garbage. Talk about DESTROYING any momentum from the indiana game.....wow

IF this team loses again next week.... and goes 8-10 in the big ten, i dont care if they get in. They dont deserve to be in the dance, plain and simple

i have nothing else to say about this team except- YUCK!

You'd think with a full ride you could make at least 60% from the charity stripe. Austin Hollins left so many points on the floor. Nobody could make a bucket. I don't see how this was a coaches fault.

You dont see how this could be a coaches fault? OHMYGOSH. I am in shock. Okay, lets list the ways:

1. First, this team is so scared of their shadow they cannot play without looking over their shoulder. Instead of empowering them, Tubby has created a culture that makes them play extremely "tight". They know if they goof up in the slightest, they will be sitting on the bench. Instead of attacking (like they are good at) they back off. Perfect example...Andre and Austin on the break. 2 on 1. Andre gives it to Austin and instead of just going to the rim and defender be damned, he makes a pass back to the middle where andre messes it up. Austin did not have the confidence to dominate his defender. Even the announcer commented on that.

2. A laughable half court offense. The announcers say it and if you have watched it you understand how horrid it is. This is nothing new. Pure bad Xs and Os coaching.

3. He has not prepared his team to dictate the tempo. Well coached teams make the other team play their game. The Gophs played last night at Nebraska's pace. NEBRASKA! 0 fast break points.

4. I saw numerous times where there was a pass or drive that could have been made, but you had to be aggressive to make it. It was open, but you had to make the decision instantly and do it. Instead, the passer/driver thought about it....then the opportunity was gone. That is a direct result of how comfortable they feel. Perfect example: The Indiana game. They knew they had to be aggressive or they would lose. So they took those chances and it paid off. Against an inferior opponent, they play conservative. Tubby, as a coach, has to be able to change that mindset in his team.

5. Free throws. how does Welch go from a 90% to 53% FT shooter? That regression is in his head. Somehow in 1 year, the coaching he has received has messed up his FT shooting. Something they are doing (or not doing) in practice is causing this. Watching them last night, I wonder, do they even practice free throws? This could be a result of #4 above. They are scared to death of what happens if they miss them.

6. The starting lineup. The last 2 games of the BT season is not when you screw with your starting lineup (1 game removed from beating the #1 team in the country!!!). The starting lineup that beat Indiana is somehow not as good as the lineup that beat Penn St? Come on, Rayno even thought it was stupid.

7. His reserve situation has everybody confused. Think what it does to the team. they are clueless on the role they will play (outside of Trevor prolly). Think of Andre sitting on the bench for the first 5+ minutes of the game. Think he had some stress going through his head by that time? A guy you NEED is not a guy that you mess with his head. We are not going far without good play from Andre. Why screw with him?

8. This one is more opinion but it builds on #7. I actually thought Welch played pretty good in the first half (and I am not a huge Welch fan). Then he sits in favor of Maverick...who didnt impress me....for the first, what, 12-14 minutes of the second half? Nothing like going with the hot hand, eh?

9. With 8 seconds left, they have the ball. Confusion is rampant. Trevor doesnt know if he is in or out. The best they can do is get a contested 3 from Mav. I would think, in Division 1 basketball, you would have your team prepared with a favorite play you have as a default in that situation. Obviously not. We need a 3....uhhhh....why is Trevor in the game? I would have had 5 shooters in the game. A wide open 3 from Wally or Oto would have been preferable to the shot we got. Now I would run the play for someone else, but having those guys in the game would have put pressure on the defense to defend them. Believe me, the guy (Ubel) who was guarding Trevor wasnt too worried about Trev hitting the 3.

But hey, yeah, the reason they lost is they missed their 3s and FTs. Nothing more to it. Tubby had them superbly prepared and the game plan was flawless. Brilliant even. (sarcasm).

Players in D1, big school, big conference should not be that fragile. You simply can not coach back bone, can you take it away? Maybe but youre making him out to be the devil. Welch's free throw % is Tubby's fault, thats the worst statement one could make. Seriously man you totally discredited everything you just wrote after that one. Do they practice free throws? Come on, stop it with your -on for Tubbys job. They simply just couldnt make a basket last night from anywhere.

Instead of trying to pick one or the other, why don't you guys just agree that along with terrible shooting and lack of enthusiasm from the players, the coaching was bad?

All I can say is that the big Brazilian kid (who reminded me of Chubby from Teen Wolf) should have been worked all night long by our faster guys inside and out. Instead we let him stand there and be a key to their defense. Make him move around, defend the perimeter, and use his weakness (being in terrible shape) to our advantage.

Quote:
I thought of teen wolf too everytime he touched the ball

LOL- didn't think of that until now and ha you're right.

I don't get this team. When you're on the road you play for each other. They feed off the entergy at the Barn, but there's no energy on the road. They stand around all the time. Are they tired? Well Tubby himself said he was out coached after last nights game.

How on earth can you defend this teams preperation?? Donna, is that you? What are you making tubby for dinner tonight? Watching them during a timeout is plain unbelievable, clueless, panic, and unwatchable!

Anyone hear about ex-gophs Iverson and Cobb went off last night for their teams? Those 2 combined for 53 points last night. It's on the strib.

List the potential causes for a person to go from a great FT shooter to a poor one. Just list them. Many of them are coaching influenced. To not acknowledge that is ludicrous.

Yeah, there was another thing I could have added to the list. A good coach pounces on a favorable matchup. Nope, not us. We allow a 315 pounder to prosper and dont go after him. unbelievable.

Oh, I certainly do think the guys didnt play well last night. I just think the reasons for it, the root cause of our horrific play, trace back to extremely poor coaching.

I didnt see where tubby said he was outcoached. That is what, the 3rd or 4th time he has said that? That should bring the 5 star recruits running.

the standing around drives me nuts....but that is a byproduct of the offense they are running. Effort is fairly easily coached at that level. If they arent moving, they need a little reinforcement. That isnt a hard thing to get out of a team if you are a good coach. But if your offensive philosophy is to slow it down, wait until everyone is at the exact place they need to be on the floor....wait some more....and then start the offense, you are gonna have players standing around. The first guy to get to his position will be standing. I get sick of the jogging. Sprint to your spot!!

i think Tubby should tell them that if the shot clock gets below 20, the offense has failed. Move like you mean it in those first 10 seconds or so. Like your silly-me is on fire. If you dont put forth the effort, have a seat next to me on the bench.

on the other hand, if you are making an aggressive play and you turn it over...a coachable moment discussing the scenario....but no seat on the bench. Go get them next time.

Unfathomable how someone could stick up for Tubby.

Both the players and tubbys fault imo. But the fact of the matter is Tubby has NEVER FINISHED EVEN .500 IN THE BIG TEN. He had a chance to if they won last night over a HORRIBLE Nebraska team, but he couldnt do it. The gophers are now 1-8 or 1-9 in the big ten on the road. That is inexcusable, ridiculous and Dan Monson like. I dont care how good the big ten is. You dont pay a coach 2 mil a year to have 1 FRICKIN ROAD WIN in the big ten.

And yes, the fat guy in the middle dominating us last night was completely embarrassing. Get a clue and figure out how to take advantage of a guy that had no right being in a big ten game last night Tubby.

But the fact of the matter is Tubby has NEVER FINISHED EVEN .500 IN THE BIG TEN.
Who doesn't love statistics, ehhh? Here we go:

Throughout the 100+ year history of Gopher Basketball (dating back to the 1905-06 season) in the Big 10, there are seven coaches besides Tubby who never produced a winning record in the Big Ten. That's out of 17 coaches, counting Dave McMillan twice for both of his stints as HC. However, none of those coaches made it more than three losing seasons without being fired.

Of all the nine coaches that produced a winning season in the Big Ten for Gopher basketball, 5 of 9 did it in the first season. Two coaches needed until their 3rd season and two needed until their 4th season to have a winning record in the Big Ten. The average being 2.1 seasons.

Excluding Tubby's record, Gopher basketball coaches have 619 wins and 710 losses in the Big Ten, a 46.6% school winning percentage. Tubby's Big Ten win/loss percentage is 43% so far, 46 wins and 61 losses which is on par with the school average. Eight Golden Gopher coaches have had better Big Ten winning percentages and eight coaches have had worse percentages.

Excluding Tubby, the Gophers have 37 winning seasons out of 97 (vacated seasons not included), meaning that our Big Ten winning season percentage is 38.1%. Tubby is at 0%.

So Tubby's overall record in the Big Ten is about the same as Minnesota's historical average. But no coach has ever been given six seasons to produce a winning season in the Big Ten. He's pretty much consistently mediocre, middle of the road, just plain average.

And yes, the fat guy in the middle dominating us last night was completely embarrassing. Get a clue and figure out how to take advantage of a guy that had no right being in a big ten game last night Tubby.

Id take that big body on my squad any day. You know how much lane he eats up? Did you not see him clearing space on offense? As much as I didnt like the outcome, much respect to the big man. It was senior night and those guys played better than we did, they earned the win. We just couldnt make a shot and Austin couldnt make a good decision.

Nice job Skunked! Thanks for the time and effort it took pulling together the interesting historical Gopher BB data. I suppose some might say, ya well, anyone could've done that. Ya well, you actually did it. smile

Dr Juice reminds me of Pier sticking up for Gardy. There comes a time a man crush needs to be wiped out. The sad thing is his kid and asst' have no clue either. My kids hs coach has like 6-8 offensive sets vs different defenses. Ive seen 1 terrible 1 all yr long with kids he recruited. Have Maturi coach the rest of the way.

Hey, let's get this win over Purdue today and start prepping for the Big Ten tourney and the Big Dance. Both the players and the coaching staff need to be on their A game today, another senior day for the Boilers. It's going to be tough but if they play well it can happen. Go Gophs!! I'm trying to be positive here.

No man crush on Tubby, just being a realist. I just don't understand blaming Tubby for a very poor FG and FT %. It's up to the players to execute, it's up to the coaches to prep the team. I haven't once thought Tubby wasn't partially to blame for losses, I just don't think it's mainly his fault. Players need to play and there's been major disappointment this year with the production from Williams and Austin Hollins. Williams needs to put his big boy pants on and play. We have all seen how athletic he can be, he's almost as soft as Sampson, if he stepped it up this team would be different. I hope he can get it together. Austin Hollins needs to grow a pair, he shows at times that he can ball but more so shows very poor shot selection. If those 2 guys can get on a roll I think this is a complete team and can make it deep in the tourney, major sleeper team. Tubby can only do so much to get them to produce, it's up to them to do it though.