• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

2012-2013 Gophers

Scott M

• Replies 439
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Scott M

• schmitty3

• DrJuice1980

• YiGGiN4SLoBS

Option 1: Gophers get up by 10 early, then Tubby does first substitution, Indiana ties it in 2 minutes, then Creen runs a press or zone and Indiana wins by 30.

Option 2: Gophers put up 4 points in the first 10 minutes but only give up 8. Then gophers keep running ball around top of key until they turn it over or throw up a desperation shot. Rim breaks, basketball goes backwards 30 years.

The gophs jump out to a big lead at home and hang on to win 78-72 eek

76-70 with 15.6 seconds. You should have bought a lottery ticket. grin

No NCAA doubts now...wouldn't be bad to win out and make a run in the BTT. But I don't forget that easily...one game at a time with this squad and coach.

For tonight, it's a helluva win. Would have loved to be a student tonight and rush the floor. It has to be organic, spontaneous, and a big upset, preferably against a #1. Tonight that was it.

I figure this page will get flooded before the night is over. What a great game, I feel bad for anyone who wasn't watching that thing start to finish. Eliason was great off the bench and Mbakwe stepped up and played like a Senior should! Still didn't hit big free throws down the stretch, but we did enough to win and STORM THE COURT... You couldn't even see it smile

Huge win. There is no doubt the gophs will be in the tourney now. BUT, lets see a .500 or better record in the big ten or a few wins in the big ten tourney before all is forgivin for me. Theres been way too much negativity lately to let this over shadow everything else thats gone on. Lets see how they follow this one up now, hopefully not with a let-down.

Woo Hoo! It's been 24 years since MN knocked off #1. They competed which I knew they could (didn't know they would) and when IU was up by 6 or 8 the bench stepped up and got them back in the game. I still think they could play better and that's scary. I wonder if Tubby read my post? Probably not, but good job tonight on getting and keeping them focused. I hope they win out and get that swagger back. Good time to peak, if they play to their potential (Sweet 16? is that too much to ask?)

Wow that was one hell of a game. The barn was fricken nuts. Why can't we play like that every game.

Good question. Is it the coach's fault or the players..... whistle

I knew this team had the potential to be a pretty good one...

I can't figure out what's going on with these guys. Frustrating and confusing they are.

That said... hell of a win last night, hope they can ride the momentum a bit.

Good question. Is it the coach's fault or the players..... whistle
There's been no doubt that this team has talent. They beat good teams early on and the national pollsters saw our strengths. Our weaknesses are abundant and highlight that it's not just skill, but mental fortitude, team spirit, and a bunch of other intangible qualities that separate talented teams from the top teams.

I won't throw all of the blame down on Tubby. He's recruited good players but the guys need to play as a team. A coach, much like a parent, can only do so much. A strong showing in the NCAAs this season could be boone to recruiting next season and beyond.

It's important to remember that Minnesota rarely can attract guys with skill AND the ability to be great players. Those guys go to the best schools. Any coach that we have will deal with that problem until we can pull ourselves up. I'm not backing Tubby 100%, but I just don't know if throwing out coach after coach is ever going to solve the problem.

Anybody else notice the changes Tubby finally made to the substitutions? Otto sat on the bench all night (where he belongs). When Ahanmisi got his minutes it was mostly with Dre Hollins in there with him, which makes sense since he's turned into a pretty good spot up shooter, but can't handle the ball the best. Then Eliason finally got the minutes he deserves. He has been playing hard and pretty good all year. Other than that it was Ingram playing a few minutes and Mo Walker playing a minute or 2 to give Mbakwe and Eliason some rest. At no point did we see the 5 man line change.

Other than Osenieks sitting there was no real change to the subs. Mo Walker has never really seen a lot of minutes. Willaims was a basic no show again, other than that swat at the end. Tubby put it together guys. They shot 42% from the field, 20% beyond the arch, and 2nd half free throws were terrible and Tubby still eaked out a "W". Yeah I know that Mbakwe and Dre Hollis had good games and Elliason stepped up big time as a role player and they hit the boards tough but all you Tubby bashers need to give credit to the man. He is not as bad as you make him out to be.

Does this win allow Tubby to keep his job?

I think this win does more harm then good long term. Its a great win over a great team and hopefully they can build off of it and make a run.

Personally I would have rather see them lose last night and not give any excuses for a reason to keep Tubby there. I would like to see him go and bring in someone new and build off of that.

Other than Osenieks sitting there was no real change to the subs. Mo Walker has never really seen a lot of minutes. Willaims was a basic no show again, other than that swat at the end. Tubby put it together guys. They shot 42% from the field, 20% beyond the arch, and 2nd half free throws were terrible and Tubby still eaked out a "W". Yeah I know that Mbakwe and Dre Hollis had good games and Elliason stepped up big time as a role player and they hit the boards tough but all you Tubby bashers need to give credit to the man. He is not as bad as you make him out to be.

Oh come on. Your going to forget about getting completely blown off the court at IOWA? and Ohio st? Not even competitive the two games before.... regressing the entire big ten season.

You knew the gophs would come out and play hard in this one after how much critisism theyve been hearing. (And rightfully so) Good for them and Tubby to get the W. But this does not wipe the slate clean for me, lets see how they finish. Its hilarious how you give tubby ALL the credit for the W's and ZERO of the blame when they lose. Tubby recruited all these guys, so hes just as much to blame as the players for everything that happens. Its not like there is a GM running the roster behind the scenes.

Tubby MAY NOT be as bad as some of us make him seem, but he is SURELY not close to as good of a coach as you make him seem Juice... thats for sure.

Lets see how they finish, i will reserve anymore judgment on tubby and HIS players until i see the rest of the season. Hopefully they build off this win and get some momentum.

LOL. So when they lose it's all the players, but win they win it's all Tubby.

I think that Tubby used his bench players more effectively in this game compared to the 5 in 5 out that we've seen in a lot of the games. The starters played the bulk of the minutes and due to tired legs or foul trouble the bench contributed when called on. Elliason stepped up big time, he always works hard, walker had a few good minutes and maverick hit 2 big threes, he's as good a 3 ball guy as we have.

Now, I've been on Tubby's case like many others but you have to give him props for this one and lets hope they can ride this mo into the post season, then we can judge as the new AD said, "the entire bddy of work" in regard to Coach.

By the way, does anyone know if any of the "big 3" class of 2014 were at the game?

Why all the arguing about who gets credit? It's shared credit for both wins and losses. Period.

It's been hashed over a million times. The UofM can't afford to fire Tubby.

I would like to see him go and bring in someone new and build off of that.
Build off what? There ain't much there at the University of Minnesota. Let's not kid ourselves. Short of the absolute best coaches available (that we'll never get), this school will always struggle.

He should get to the end of the season to str8en it out.

Its this type of attitude- ("oh, we'll never be any good anyway, doesnt matter what coach comes. Nobody good will come here.") that is baffling. Thats just not true in the least. Remember 1998- I know technically it doesnt count because of cheating toutors, but i watched it happen. I witnessed it all. And we went to the final 4. And before that with willie burtons team we were one shot from the final four.

SO NO, WE SHOULDNT HAVE TO ACCEPT ALWAYS FINISHING IN THE LAST HALF OF THE BIG TEN, and YES we can get good coaches here. THere are plenty of kids to choose from in state. This isnt football where you need DOZENS of players. you need to land a couple studs here and there and build around them. Just stop with the "we have no chance" here attitude. Its not even close to true

Right on Yiggin! Nice win...no.... great win for the team. As far as I am concerned, this great win negates one of the horrible losses. Take your pick, Iowa, Ohio St, Northwestern, etc. This doesnt mean he is a good coach. In fact, this win cements the fact we have the talent to win big time, so the argument that we dont have talent is is null now. That makes it that much more frustrating that the coach has not gotten the most out of his team. A blip here and there is not good coaching...I would even go so far as to say that we did this IN SPITE of the poor coaching we have had. When you have a players only meeting....that does not happen on well coached teams. 7-8 in the Big Ten with a team as talented as this one is not acceptable.

But a great win and how fun it could be in the barn if we could land the Big 3! Plenny of talent in this state.

Was at the game and they played pretty good today. Not so many t/o but they still have trouble at the free throw line. Good to see the 2 seniors get a chance to play and do well. I'm talking #00 & #30.How did Penn State beat Michigan is a mystery because they were awfull. Lets get a streak going into the big time. DrJ.......

I have no idea how that team beat michigan either. They look like the worst team in a long time in the big 10

It's nice to see the gophers finishing the season strong. Hope they get into the turney.