• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Opener Moved Up

Not sure about you guys, but I can't afford to take off the year of 2012 to play this kind of game with the POLITITIANS. Especially when it isn't any of their dang buisness in the first place.

+1. I don't care if they give me something extra, I don't like how / where it's coming from.

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• LMITOUT

• pushbutton

• Hookey

• goose89

Quote:
Mike Triska, owner of Voyageur Cove Resort on Lake Vermilion, said he supports the early opener.

"It most definitely would help business, even if it's only for one year,'' he said. But, he said, he'd like to see the DNR drop opening dates altogether and just leave the season open year-round, as South Dakota and some other states do.

"They shouldn't have the season closed at all,'' he said. "A lot of lakes, like Vermilion, have slot limits, which protects female walleyes.''

With no opening date, resorts could open whenever they wanted to, he said.

This sounds like a guy I can give my business to. He "get's it". waytogo.gif

Move it up or leave it I could really care less but make it for 2013 and beyond not 2012. The precedence this sets if they change it this year is ridiculous. Are they going to push it back in years with late ice outs? No! Its talk and its time for supporters of this to realize it. If they can move up walleye opener why not bass and. Musky?

The precedence this sets if they change it this year is ridiculous.

+1. We may forget about it a week afterwards / Memorial Day, whenever... but the politician that need a feel good reason to gather some votes next time something like this (early / late spring) comes around won't. Get some DNR / Roundtable / Resort folks together and do away with Opener. If we're all so gung-ho about this being about helping the economy, then no closed seasons should make sense too.

If it wasn't for the political aspects, or the short notice, this is not an issue. If passed, I'm glad businesses directly related to "opener" activities will have the opportunity to earn a few more. Several years ago, I'm sure many in the upper northern third were worried about having any customers at all due to the ice....

Either way, my plans won't change, hopefully yours won't as well. The fish will still bite

Schara's article is terribly reasoned, in my opinion. I just don't understand why he'd have to cancel his plans for May 12th if they open fishing on the 5th. Does it REALLY matter that his plans wouldn't be on "the opener"? Apparently it does to him, but it shouldn't for any reasonable person.

And I'm with pushbutton...this is NOT a zero-sum issue. Lots of people will be going BOTH weekends (I certainly will be if it passes). And this is exactly why the comparisons to Christmas and the Super Bowl are not relevant.

The only real valid point he made was for the Governors opener. Sure it can still take place without a hitch, but just maybe not exactly the warm fuzzies of an actual opener.

All I know is I just got off the water after fishing for 11 hours. Opener means nothing to me anymore.

Yeah, I really do not care either. Really do not care what I catch either so will be fishing somewhere for something; but what absolutely baffles me, from being a small business owner, is that some elements within the resort/fishing industry are against it. If my business had lets say 5 months to make money and was given an extra week to do so .....would not hesitate in the least. Seriously folks, this is a made up "holiday" it is not sacred. It has more to do with trying to turn a buck than to protect the fish. Having said that, there are better options out there for turning more bucks and still protecting the fish. Isn't there some saying out there about a horse and water? Guess there is also that saying about my daddy's daddy's daddy.

Hmm, Dtro, you get warm fuzzies from the gov catching one dinky walleye or a pike on opener? Who knew you were so sensitive?!? smile

But I realize your larger point (and Schara's). I just don't weight it as heavily as does Schara. Furthermore, I'm not all that worried about the slippery slope argument being made about how, having changed one season opener in a freakishly strange year, the DNR/MN legislature will start moving them around every year.

I just think that, with the amazingly early spring and the extremely rough year that the businesses have had up north, it makes sense to bump it up a week. I'd be happy to spend some of my limited financial resources a week early, and I know lots of guys who would do the same. Seems reasonable (and not as dangerous as some say) to me. Just my .02.

And it's funny how "opener" means different things for different people. I live near St Cloud, and I very rarely get down to fish the border waters between MN and WI (or between MN and Canada, for what it's worth), so "opener" for me is usually the second weekend in May. I do fish for catfish this time of year, but it's just not the same. smile

Since this is about money, Rather than compare it to Christmas try black Friday. For resort owners opener can be the biggest weekend of their season. If you know what goes on behind the scenes at a resort opening a weekend early is not a small task especially with this short notice. Believe it or not many resort owners take outside jobs between ice out and opener they do not sit home wishing they had more money.

Think of all you need to open, food cooks servers bus boys dishwashers ice boats docks portolets gas bait supplies. Labor could be the issue and if you open unprepared you will get torn up by customers you might even get your business blasted in a state wide forum. Sure you can simply not even try to open but that has it s pitfalls as well.

Just sayin this is no small deal.

+1 Hookey.

I'm not a resort owner, but I do realize there's alot more to making $$ at a resort than making reservations and counting up the $$. As the prior poster alluded to, the possiblility of not having /being able to have all your ducks in a row before the opener could lead to chaos and unhappy customers.

As we know, we're a fickle crowd and bad reviews tend to fly easier than good around here. Can't speak for them myself, but I could understand why some don't want this to happen. The "cry me a river" sentiment doesn't fly here....I'd assume they'd all like to be ready and increase income, but would rather not gamble at not being able to provide the goods they usually do.

Now on the other side of the coin we get a real late ice out think they will push the open back? I don't care either way. I wish the DNR would have more control over their jobs instead of the elected officals. I think some times they think since they are elected that they are smarter than us who put them in.

I talked to the owner of the small seasonal campground that we stay at on the opener. He said opening a week sooner will get the seasonal people a week sooner. putting $$$ in his pocket.

All I know is I just got off the water after fishing for 11 hours. Opener means nothing to me anymore.

Exactly. I have been fishing open water for the last 4 weeks. Opener to me is when it's warm enough to fish out of a boat, not what the calender says.

Interesting --- but back to the original question, where does this stand? Is the opener early ??? Out of state right now and need to know. Also, I checked the DNR web site news releases and headlines and they have NO information there one way or the other. WTH? Incredible.

I talked to the owner of the small seasonal campground that we stay at on the opener. He said opening a week sooner will get the seasonal people a week sooner. putting $$$ in his pocket.

A small seasonal campground is a totally different operation than a full-service resort.

Oh, my gosh, the evil big government actually might give us a choice. How dare they!! Don't they know we are Schara's sheep and don't like choices. Limit said it best a few posts ago. Go fishing on the 5th or don't. Go fishing on the 12th or don't or go to both or don't. If you are a resort owner, open early if you want or can. If you don't want to or can't then don't. No matter how you cut it, it is a "First World" problem.

The house passed the the Omnibus game and fish bill (hf2171) on Tuesday.The companion bill in the senate(sf1943) has NOT passed.The legislature is off all this week so the earliest it could possibly be even heard is Monday the 16th.I believe there is some more amending to be done in committee before we see any movement on the monstrosity of a bill.c63

After reading a couple of the last posts, I stand corrected. Didn't realize Dill would have that many people willing to play his game, but it sounds like there is at least a couple folks with disposable income, and flexible work schedules. whistle

For me, the idea of freeing up two weekends in a row for fishing opener(s) wasn't ever an option, but if this bill gets as many takers as it sounds, I'm willing to take it.... on the economy's behalf. smirk

When their considering a bill or bills of this size it's very hard to figure out why legislatures jump in and out of the the yea and nae lanes.I believe sometimes there colleagues add or subtract language to give them ins and or outs.These are very complicated issues that have a lot more at stake than one might consider at the time.Just like anything else actions have consequences and we don't always see or understand them until after the fact.c63

Thanks, all I am saying is it is a big deal and for many not as easy as don't wanna do it don't.

Again understand this was added to a existing bill. My hunch is it is not about the opener at all. Simply sweetener for the rest of the package. wink ie wolf hunt.....

After reading a couple of the last posts, I stand corrected. Didn't realize Dill would have that many people willing to play his game, but it sounds like there is at least a couple folks with disposable income, and flexible work schedules. whistle

For me, the idea of freeing up two weekends in a row for fishing opener(s) wasn't ever an option, but if this bill gets as many takers as it sounds, I'm willing to take it.... on the economy's behalf. smirk

Now I am starting to see the light...it is looking more and more like kickback to the rich to profit in walleyes off the poor working class backs. For a show of solidarity i will just fish for rough fish if it passes....

Bass opener don't open until may 26

It is always open on Pool 2,3,4,5 and so on.

Who are you people? Someone is trying to offer the chance for an extra weekend of fishing on a lake that you want to go to instead of a river or out of state and many people are complaining. I don't get it.

Impossible to argue with logic as sound as this.

Ron Schara's goofy article today and a lot of posts on this thread. Not so much.

Go fishing on the 5th or don't. Go fishing on the 12th or don't or go to both or don't. If you are a resort owner, open early if you want or can. If you don't want to or can't then don't. No matter how you cut it, it is a "First World" problem.

Amen. I can't believe all the whining and hand-wringing over a bill that would simply give people the OPTION of having a bonus week of fishing.

Its has been diagnosed as a medical condition with many acute cases that outbreak in Minnesota.....Its called I Am Not Happy Unless I Have Something To Complain About Syndrome.

Its has been diagnosed as a medical condition with many acute cases that outbreak in Minnesota.....Its called I Am Not Happy Unless I Have Something To Complain About Syndrome.
:-)

This forum is crybaby central. That's fine with me. If I am ever feeling down, all I gotta do is come hear and read a few threads, and then I realize how happy I am to be me.

Pushbutton,

I would love to know what you do for a living, but since I don't...think about this for a minute.

I'm sure you put in your 40 hours doing something every week. Would you like it if some politician stepped in and told you how to do your job? I'm gonna guess you wouldn't get 'warm fuzzys' about that situation.

I realize it is a fairly miniscule issue we're talking about here, but its a slippery slope.....