• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Opener Moved Up

How about we have no closed season for Walleye fishing, set the statewide limit at 4, and allow 2 lines per angler.

Never happen since it makes too much sense, but a guy can dream.

There wouldn't be a fish left in the state!! Are you nuts!

wink

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• LMITOUT

• pushbutton

• Hookey

• goose89

Fairy tales and lies.

The problem is that this nonsense has been pounded into to people's heads all their lives and now they can't understand anything else.

I agree with you limit. After all on ND we don't have a season close. Devils Lake gets hammered every spring by shore fisherman catching piles of spawing females and miraculously we still have alot of fish in our lakes. Go figure. I think it should be open year round. Lake of the woods only closes for a month does it really save much there. Truthfully this year what is the point of even closing up there if spawning happend a month earlier what is happeing right now people are catching spawning fish. I think alot of it is still done so resorts have a really hot start up.

The House has moved up the fishing opener a week because it's been warmer than usual. That's like moving Christmas due to early snow.

I had to laugh the other day when I caught a press conference of the governor signing some sort of bill with a member of the Senate and House there as well. After it was over the press was asking questions and this subject of moving the opener came up so the Senator deferred the question to Landwehr (DNR) who was also there. He said that he had to check with his biologists to make sure that 'everything was OK' as far as the spawn before the DNR could green light this proposal. As soon as he was done speaking, the House Rep spoke up and said 'if anybody wants to fish, go to Rainy...a buddy of mine sent me a pic of a 11 pound walleye!' as he pulled up a pic on his phone to show the press.

Contradictory much?

ROFL.

I wish someone would have asked why it was legal to fish there but not anywhere else in the state... smirk

+1

Does anyone know if the bass season will be bumped up a week then too? I just cant believe I have to wait 2 months to hit the lakes.

I was thinking that, too!

Would love to see things opened up. Nothing stopping the state from closing certain spawning areas (e.g. Seagull River). I believe the tradition of 'the opener' is ingrained in more people's heads from passing it down when it really doesn't have an effect on the fish. I would expect more bucking from the tourism folks and I read a few of them didn't like it...I'm with dtro, resorts/tourism/fishing industries stand to make more with guests year round than a spike of people on the Saturday two weeks prior to Memorial Day weekend.

Dill's idea for proposing an early walleye opener was an economic push for northern MN. The resorts and outdoor sporting infrastructure business' were hit hard this winter because of bad ice, lack of snow and a winter season that was 6 weeks shorter. I think it is a good idea.

I also think that if the season opens then it should a keep season. I think the average fisherman understands on or off. There is enough fudging of game regs anyway. As far as I'm concerned C & R is a choice every fisherman makes for themselves. I know there are some examples of C & R by regulation, but usually they are defined very narrowly and usually allow some form of take. For those of us for who fishing is our major form of recreation the fishing season never ends. But, most of the people who buy a fishing license fish only a couple times a year and the opener is one of them. They will want to keep their walleyes, and why not.

Quote:
But, most of the people who buy a fishing license fish only a couple times a year and the opener is one of them. They will want to keep their walleyes, and why not.

+1 (honestly that quote covers 75% of the people I know, myself included)

Do we really want to give government the idea that they make changes in the regulations based on the weather?

We already saw this in effect this winter when a handful of counties shut down the lake access because of the unusual warm winter we had. Will this carry over come this ice fishing season dictating when we can access the lake?

In future years if we have an extremely cold winter and a late ice out will the government decided to move the fishing opener back a few weeks because the fish have not spawned yet?

I am in favor of a catch-n-release season with the traditional fishing opener (catch & fry)staying the same even though it occasional conflicts with mothers day.

Do we really want to give government the idea that they make changes in the regulations based on the weather?

We already saw this in effect this winter when a handful of counties shut down the lake access because of the unusual warm winter we had. Will this carry over come this ice fishing season dictating when we can access the lake?

In future years if we have an extremely cold winter and a late ice out will the government decided to move the fishing opener back a few weeks because the fish have not spawned yet?

Exactly!!!

If this is a one time change, what precedence is it setting? It makes ZERO sense to me. What about all the folks who made their plans around the original fishing opener, took time off work, reservations, etc, now only to be trumped a week? To some people they may think "big deal". Well, it is a big deal. What if they decided to move deer opener ahead one week just 1 month away from the original date? People plan these things months if not a year in advance.

Make the change and have it effective for following years, not just a one time deal.

So next year when its colder than normal, with more snow and the resorts up North have reaped the benefits of an excellent winter are they going to move it back a week? Stupid.

Move it up or leave it, but dont do it only for this year.

Between this, a coin flip and how they are feeling at the time, that basically sums up how government works. grin

CA

Ok I have to chime in as I sell product in the Northeast down to Florida and over to Texas (saltwater) with fishing regulation rulers, fisherman need these so they know what seasons are open. Those recreational fisherman deal with fishing law changes on a monthly basis if not on a weekly basis. When government agencies start changing laws frequenlty you'll eventually have a backlash of fisherman getting tired of all the law changes and can't keep up with them and most get turned off by this and quit fishing. Now I know it's comparing apples to oranges but if changing laws like this on a whim by legislators this will eventually get "muddy" and by that I mean so confusing that nobody knows what season is open or not, just look at the invasive species and bait transportation topics on here I think 75% (my observation) folks still don't understand the law.

Now moving the 2012 opener up one week is this really going to make any REAL difference to the tourism in our state...I'll go out on the limb and say not at all. The locals will be happy but thats it and the out of staters will not come in on this short of a notice to generate any kind of revenue difference.

And like someone else asked the question why not open up the bass and muskie sooner too since there going through all this work to generate money as allot of muskie fisherman come from out of state to fish MN on opener granted it's a fraction of the walleye fisherman but come on lets think this through........I'm just saying!!!!!!

Meat-Run

I'm laughing at the guys that are already booked for the current opener and worried about it moving up a week. How does this impact your trip? Can you not go if it's not the "real" opener? Is it cuz you can't say we went on opener however many years in a row? Who cares??? The fish won't know.

Personally, I think the legislature should leave well enough alone. Every time they get involved in this stuff beyond funding I just cringe.

That said, there would be a real benefit to resorts that have not only had a bad winter but some poor years due to the economy. Make or break for them, doubtful.

If it's open earlier, you can bet I'll be in a boat.

I just wish our government would worry about more improtant things than moving the opener up a week...I mean really we are talking about a week not 2 or 3 weeks....7 days big deal...goverment wasting time at its finest!!!

This bill that is being proposed to move the fishing opener up one by week is probably tied into some other bill that we are not aware of at this time and if passed means increased taxes.

"Be careful of what you wish for"

Government or the Legislature already has the authority to regulate. After all it was the legislature who set the date of the current opener. This date has also been moved around before. The DNR already can restrict certain areas and place emergency regulations on lakes because of weather. It's good for fishing overall to allow for the decision makers to be a bit nimble to make some decisions based on current circumstance.

I belive the lakes in southern MN were shut down because they didn't want people driving on them and to send a message these lakes had dangerous ice conditions. There were still people walking out and fishing on them. I'm not going to ever critize local governments for opting to protect peoples safety. It's not only the dumb ones who do dumb things. They've fished a lot of smart dead people off of the bottom of a not-so-frozen lake

Now that I think of it; several years ago the state extended the ice fishing season for game fish because of a poor winter. This change was to aid in the resorts and tourism in the state.

Maybe the snow plow contractors will be able get aid from the state since there was a lack of snow which will be subsided by the lawn contractors because of the early spring.

Previous post with drawn; let the government make changes as they wish.

There always seems to be an extenuating circumstance to "change"the laws by legislatures.(Both State and Federal).The reasons given this particular time as I understand them are as follows:Since it is an early spring the opener won't interfere with spawning fish.Mothers day won't be affected if we go a week earlier.Both of these reasons may or may not be valid.Did the legislature ever consider that tradition is just that and most people that plan there opener do it early sometimes a year in advance.Additionally some "Mothers"are glad to have their weekend to do what they want including sometimes going fishing without the "boys!"Agreeing with a previous post be careful what you wish for.Check out the house file bill hf2171 very long, very extensive and expensive bill!!!!!!!!!!c63

I'm laughing at the guys that are already booked for the current opener and worried about it moving up a week. How does this impact your trip? Can you not go if it's not the "real" opener? Is it cuz you can't say we went on opener however many years in a row? Who cares??? The fish won't know.

All the fish will be caught during that week right after the opener.

Exactly. It's absolutely ridiculous. Same with those who whine about abolishing the "opener" all together. Pick a date and go that weekend just like before. It's not the end of the world. Geesh!

I think its ridiculous the people who believe our legislature making knee jerk decisions about something they should have no role in is OK.

Why only the walleye and northern season? What about bass and musky? Makes zero sense. Not well thought out at all. Economic impact to the good will be minimal. Ask your legislators who stands to benefit from this? Really question the answer.

" Economic impact to the good will be minimal"

Heh. Come talk to resort owners in, say, the Cass Lake area about this. I did at the hsolist Chamber dinner tonight. It would mean thousands of dollars to each resort up here, plus extra biz for bait & tackle shops, cafes, gas stations etc. It would have significant impact.

The opener is not really an opener anyways. There are places in the state that are open for Walleyes way before the "opener". If you really need to wet a line, go do it this weekend.

Why cant they just leave it alone? What about next year when we have a "record late ice off"? Will the brilliant lawmakers propose to delay the opener so the fish have a chance to spawn without being bothered? Doubt it. Just one of those years.

I think all seasons, fishing or hunting should be dictated by the environment, or different seasonal patterns for the current season at hand. Why have a date set in stone for a opener, when weather patterns can vary so much from year to year. If it is your intent to protect a vulnerable species at at a specific given time. There is no way that the same day of every year is going to protect them every single year.

That Dill guy is the same guy that got the Bass Opener to coincide with the Walleye Opener just so he can fish for bass on Pelican Lake that weekend.

Am I correct?

Also if you guys want to get out and fish head to Pool 4, the Saugers and Walleyes are stacked like firewood below the dam in Red Wing.

I really wish they would just leave this alone and address the tribal netting instead. Much greater issue IMO.

1 Extra weekend of fishing, or a lifetime of terrible resource management.

Wanna fish for walleyes May 5th, go to Wisconsin. It's open there.

Why cant they just leave it alone? What about next year when we have a "record late ice off"? Will the brilliant lawmakers propose to delay the opener so the fish have a chance to spawn without being bothered? Doubt it. Just one of those years.

Yes i would suggest they do that. Start a week early this year and if it is a late ice out next year go a week later. Sounds good to me

I really wish they would just leave this alone and address the tribal netting instead.

Given it's a Federal Treaty affirmed by the U.S. Supreme Court, just what is it you think the Minnesota Legislature is going to do?