• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

TEAM 8 - "TURKEYSNIPERS"

featherslayer

I found this hen in Roseville Central Park yesterday afternoon. No other turkeys nearby, only four deer further down the path. Tempted to go out in the early morning one of these days with some calls to see if I can locate more turkeys.

6907723140_21219f00c7_z.jpg

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Archerysniper

• Cheetah

• featherslayer

• mws4dux

Just pulled into my farm after Easter dinner today and had a couple hens scratching and dusting in the corn behind my pasture.

well I was going to try and sneak out for a quick day hunt this weekend but the weather doesn't look like its going to cooperate. The last thing I want to do is wake up at 4am drive 2 hours and then sit in the rain all day.

I know I cant shoot a turkey if I am not out there, but I am having trouble convincing the rest of my crew to make an effort to get out even if the weather is bad. Probably going to play it by ear and make a last minute decision based off the weather. If I had to decide today I would lean towards Saturday as Sunday the temp drops even more and less sun. Chance of snow there on Monday lol.

Still plenty of time for the forecast to change. Based on the forecast now it looks like Saturday is your best bet.

Rundrave, did you make it out? Weather looked ok in the morning for your area. Radar looks pretty nasty though now.

The big Tom I had patterned behind the house was hit by a car just down from my house this morning. frown

The big Tom I had patterned behind the house was hit by a car just down from my house this morning. frown

Sorry to hear that Jeremy, kinda. whistle

Bummer.. but the damage to my car wasn.t that bad laugh

Just kidding buddy, You got way more birds pin pointed than most of us.

Leaving town some time tonight. Turkeys have a bit more of an advantage this year, I pulled something in my inner thigh over the weekend that has is making it hard to walk without some discomfort.

Quote:
Sorry to hear that Jeremy, kinda. whistle

You might actually have to hunt more than a day this year to get your bird! laugh

Good luck Cheetah! Kinda... smile

I didn't make it out as I had some things to take care of here at home.

2 guys in our group went out all day Saturday. They heard birds all over gobbling before sun up. They set up near a roost and the birds put a move on them when they eventually flew down. And then they stopped talking for the rest of the day.

Once the sun came up they still heard a lot of birds but only saw a couple. The ended up glassing and doing a spot and stalk on a Tom and were able to get him. But at least we have a couple ideas of where they are roosting for this weekend.

Supposed to be cold and rainy middle of this week and then a nice warm spell for the weekend. I will be out before sun up on Friday rain snow or shine and will have 3 full days dedicated to bagging a bird.

rundrave sounds like you got them pinpointed down, did your group use a shotgun or rifle to get the bird? good luck this weekend and make sure to post your bird when you get back.

they used a shotgun, but I will have a shotgun and access to a rifle if needed this weekend. my intentions are to use the shotgun as my preferred option unless I get desperate lol.

they used a shotgun, but I will have a shotgun and access to a rifle if needed this weekend. my intentions are to use the shotgun as my preferred option unless I get desperate lol.

The rifle thing sounds like fun what type of rifle do you use? like a .22 mag or something on that line.

Gordie, they use 22.250, or .223 or even .243. Don't believe they limit the calliber you can use.

Go get them Cheetah.

Gordie I like to use my .338 Lapua mag it works well out to 1500 yards shockedlaugh J/K

Arrived in Rapid today. Went out this afternoon and heard two gobblers but could not get them to come to us. Met the ranch owner's son this evening and he showed us where the turkeys are coming down. Should be a turkey shoot tomorrow... Stay tuned.

6943106222_160733b9d5_z.jpg

6943103782_26fc6fa81c_z.jpg

Keep the good news rolling in and cant wait for the pic's of you smiling with your long bearded limb hanger.

The morning "turkey shoot" turned into watching the huge flock of birds across the road where we couldn't hunt. We had some on a hill above us, but they flew to the flock... Going to see about getting permission for over there. Made a big walk through a public area we have hunted in past years, called in three hens to 100yd but nothing else would respond.

well 2 guys in our group were out hunting this morning. I got a txt at 8:30am saying that they got 4 birds. I thought they were just pulling my leg until I got the picture of all 4 birds (3 toms and a hen).

I don't know if that's good or bad, but now I am super excited to get out. Going to be a long day at work today. Really hoping this doesn't turn into "you should have been here yesterday"

I will be leaving here tomorrow morning at 4am and plan to be in the woods before sun up.

wish me luck.

bags are packed, and I cant sleep. Alarm is set, convoy is leaving here at 3:45am.

I should be able to provide updates on here from my phone. Wish me luck! And good luck to the rest of you.

finally a day off work thought i would go out and do a little scouting. cheetah how did you do any luck? rundrave havent heard from you if you bagged one either.

Hey guys, I haven't had much time to be online all week since we were chasing turkeys as they ran circles around us. I got a bird. I'll post info a bit later today, have a lot of catching up to do at the office.

Lots of photos, wish I just had the camera sometimes so I could get some really cool shots. Here are some of the ones that came out ok.

Part of a large flock that I was chasing with my bow. They were going nuts in the trees where I couldn't see them. The flock eventually passed under me at 70yd and I didn't feel like flinging arrows into the rocks. Suddenly the were all putting and grouped up, 4 coyotes charged in from the left. The flock went crazy and a bunch jumped up into the trees, I took a shot with the bow as one of the toms came up the hill towards me. Instead I shot a big old rock. The coyotes missed too.

P1010770.JPG

An army of jakes. I counted 12 jakes being lead by 2 toms. I circled ahead of them and ambushed one of the lead toms with my shotgun as they paraded past, then counted 14 birds wondering what the heck just happened. Somehow an extra bird was in the group which I wasn't able to see before. They all grouped up to find out why my bird was suddenly acting all weird and couldn't decide what to do next. Finally they walked off about 50yd, but my bird flopped a couple times and the whole bunch came back to check him out again before finally leaving for good.

P1010785.JPG

I shot this tom just over the ridge in the background. He came within a few feet of falling off the cliff.

P1010797.JPG

P1010807.JPG

One of many curious deer.

P1010774.JPG

Playing with my camera I managed to get a decent shot of these birds way across a valley.

P1010830.JPG

My uncle glassing for a flock we were sneaking up on. We got right into them and they were going back and forth on a logging road that we had positioned below. I could see some tail fans every so often go by. They wouldn't commit to coming down to our calling. As the flock moved on we did have one jake and a tom come up to us about 5yd but we were not ready. Funny stuff. The tom almost got shot but my uncle was waiting for a beard to show so he wouldn't shoot a jake on accident, it didn't flip out until just out of range.

P1010832.JPG

My uncle with his bird, shot on the last morning with his Long Tom at 20 yards. We had set up on 4 birds on the end of a ridge but they went away from us so we scrambled to get ahead of them. Other birds came down and joined up with them. We committed to crawling up to the edge of the big clear ridge top. This one came in close, drumming for quite a while while the rest were on the far edge of the ridge about 60-70yd out. He peeked over at 20yd and that was the end of that.

P1010869.JPG

One of his buddies strutting after the flock moved off.

P1010863.JPG

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

Very cool Cheetah!

got back late last night after 3 very very hard days of hunting. 9 guys 1 bird all weekend.

I will give a better recap when I get more time. I plan to get out again before my season closes. Hopefully with better luck.