• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Metro Structure Breakdown... New Spot Every Week!!!

Matt Johnson

This map is crude, so those are typically humps, sometimes not as abrupt either. Sometimes these maps like the embellish the truth smile

I was planning on throwing out one more ice fishing snap shot but I'll re-do things and post an early spring snap shot tomorrow instead...

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Matt Johnson

• fridron

• mallardnwalleye

• Ishikawa

Are you going to break down maps in the summertime too? I just stumbled across this topic and its really helpful in understanding structure.

Yes... I will put up snap shots year-round if people continue to read and take part... in fact... here comes another one in a few minutes...

Here's a snap shot from a section on Forest Lake... we will direct this one towards springtime panfish...

ForestSpring.jpg

Thoughts? Comments? Theories?

spots C and E look like they would be good spawing spots for various species... A would be a staging area. While B is a wintering hole and cappies would suspend over this area in the summer and winter.. A is a spot that will hold the fish in the spring on the way to the spawing areas... The mid lake hump will also hold fish depending on the weeds.

I would start fishing spots C and D early on. Spot D may still be holding some some fish right after ice out as they were located there near late ice. Spot C looks to be a feeding shelf and the fish are not quite ready to make a full move up to shallow water. They can slide up and down very quickly there. Spots A and E are later spring locations. They are very shallow, full of bullrushes, and likely spawning areas. It would not take long to see whether or not the fish are there, however, and it's usually worth a poke to see what's going on. Spot B is a completely different animal. It should almost be treated as it's own separate body of water. It holds deep water and shallow water fingers (not on the map). Spots like these are a good place to start in the spring because it shortens the learning curve on where the fish might be. It also seems to warm faster.

A and B during early season. The small area will warm fast and the shallow area between A and B would be my pick early with warm weather.That canal and shallow area would be a theoretical awesome spot with a warm south wind about 1-2 weeks after ice out.

With a cool down they would retreat to deeper edges. Spot C has a creek flowing in which if it rained could again be theoretically good. Spot E would/should have weeds but is a north facing southerly located area which isn't a plus and typically SE corners of lakes are very hard bottomed and not good for panfish. but it could be good- but you never kknow. D would be much later- as in summer, but can attract crappies late late at night in May possibly.

I would say the one thing I can say is that experience trumps theory many times. Often Crappies are on a pivot point deep weed edge a great deal of the spring as the water is cooling almost as much as it's warming many years. If the sun is out and the wind is blowing from the south then the shallow warm areas can work great.

From a bass standpoint, I really see B being a money spot early season. Its a protected bay that should have slightly warmer water temps. It's got deep water for the fish to retreat under adverse weather.

E strikes me a a good prespawn/postspawn location, It's got a channel an and what in my head would be weed beds to the left and right.

D looks like a midlake hump, I probably would pass over it just because it most likely gets hammered with local pressure, also it doesnt strike me as a good early season spots, maybe midsummer.

C could be a good spawning flat depending on bottom content. I'd cruise the shallows looking for nests

I've been following this like everyone else and trying to plot spots in other areas of the lake and in other lake maps for the info and enjoyment. But this doesn't resemble the Turtle Lake that I know at all, at least not the one in Ramsey County.

This spot is unique because it offers a variety of structure-types, all of which play an important role during spring. You have back bays, which can hold warmer water like Craigums suggested. You have mouths leading into back bays which are excellent transition/migration areas and should hold fish right after ice-out. You have mainlake humps which are also good bets right after ice-out as well as into the spring months. And then you have shallow shorelines with a variance in bottom content which provide ample room for spawning habitat as well as shallow feeding grounds.

Oftentimes we confuse shallow movements for spawning movements, but in actuality they are making feeding movements. Most fish will seek out those shallow weeds for comfort and/or forage prior to spawning. They will even sometimes relocate when spawning. Yes, fish can change color when in those areas but it doesn't always mean they are in their spawning areas. Sunfish will spawn shallow you can tell typically tell if you're over spawning areas because of the "holes" dug out in the bottom... much-like honeycomb when in large pods. Crappies on the other hand will typically seek either a hard bottom or tall weeds (reeds) for spawning area and they prefer mainlake structure if available. It's a fun transition to follow. However, it's very important to practice selective harvest and even catch & release when fish are spawning and/or on beds. The future of the lake is right there, so it's important to let the future happen the way it needs to. Lakes can be ruined during the spawn so be mindful.

Oh... and the lakes are open in the Metro, so it's time to fish in the boat smile

Oh... and the lakes are open in the Metro, so it's time to fish in the boat smile

Should be out this weekend somewhere

My bad on the Turtle recognition crazy On another note relating to the early spring. I know you wouldn't leave home without them all, but would there be a preference in what you would start with [minnows vs ice jigs/larva or waxies]?

As far as a good starting presentation... I'm a pretty die hard plastics guy. I usually start with over-sized ice plastics and use that a judge. Sometimes I'm using 2" minnow plastics, other times I'm using little finesse ice plastics, all depends on the day/situations. I rarely (if ever) bring live bait with me when open water fishing for panfish. With the advancements of Gulp!, Gulp! Alive, Impulse, and several other excellent choices, I don't really see the demand for live bait, just something else to worry about. However, my rule of thumb has always been this... if something is working for you and you have confidence in it, then don't change--keep doing what you're doing!

Thanks for the come back. It has been a long time since I've gone with imitations alone. Back in the sixties we used to "fly" fish with spinning rods using plastic bubbles and flies, like a Timber Wolf, made by Lee Wulf. Had a lot of fun with that 7' light fiberglass rod, which I still have and use for pan fish. It's funny since I tip jigs with Gulp minnows often and use Gulp crawlers on spinner rigs for walleyes, yet have found myself sticking with live bait when pan fishing. This summer will find some changes in my approach. Thanks again for this series as you're never too old to learn or re-find ideas and tactics.

I love those plastic bubble floats... I use them to this day! The Adjust-a-Bubble is the manufactured name now. They work great for getting small presentations out there. A great float for a variety of situations.

We might have to start a topic and dedicate it to plastics for panfish... we used to run a topic like that on this website years ago and it had a huge following... might have to bring it back...

In addition to the adjustable floats, we used these solid, clear plastic floats shaped like a tear drop. You wouldn't believe the hits we got on the floats from bass as we worked them across the water, catching crappies and sunnies on the flies and small "crappie jigs". Anyone remember them, and the bumble bees?

This is great info. Can't wait for the open water versions since I don't ice fish.

• 2 weeks later...

The open water panfish season is in full-swing here in the Metro! Water temps are rising and the fish are beginning to cooperate more and more! That being said, let's continue to jump right into spring pannies... here's a snap shot of a spot on Lake Minnetonka... it offers up a variety of potential spring time panfish spots...

TonkaBigIsland_fm.jpg

Any takes on the ideas behind the movements from A-F? Or what about the movements from F-A?

Here goes....A looks like a spot for spring with B being a staging spot going either way. C looks like a main wintering hole and E one of those "get away from the crowd" spots. D and F I think are summer spots. My guess would be that spring would bring a move of A>B>D>F and in the fall it would reverse for feeding and end in C and E for the winter.

If B is the staging spot and A is the spawning spot, where will the fish be biting the most agressively? I always hear people talking about fish putting on pre-spawn feed bags, does that last through the actual spawn? Would that also mean fish generally bite less after they have spawned?

I don't know if A is a spawning spot, but it looks like it would be the first to warm up and have the first hatch with minnows following and therefore the crappies. I think the bay around B and D are likely spawning spots and summer hang-outs. A and B being spring spots with B the staging spot coming in from deep water prior to spawn. After the rigors of the spawn my take, from all the info, is that all the species, especially the females, are really in need of food and are very willing biters. I once caught an early spring walleye in Canada that was 29.5" long, but weighed only 6.5#. Her head was bigger than the body, unfortunately she didn't survive the struggle and we figured that she had just spawned within the last day or so.

Here’s my take. Early spring after ice out I would look at A to watch for sun warmed water with shallow muddy bottom to attract crappies, simply for the warmer water. As the water continues to warm and weeds start to grow, the fish would move to stage at pre-spawn areas adjacent to bulrushes if they are there, and I would look primarily at area B. Crappies spawn around here (Minnetonka) about the end of May, and the bulrushes should be above the water line at that time. The beds would likely be right in the rushes, again look at areas B and possibly D. Post spawn the fish should move out to the weed lines close to the spawining areas so I would look at the 10’ break at B, then D, and possibly the point just west of B.

Typically when the fish are actually in "spawn" mode, they are not actively feeding, but more-so aggressively attacking whatever comes into their area. However, you are correct in saying they put on pre-spawn feedbags, as they are in the process of bulking up in preparation for the days to come (spawn). Then once the spawn is over there will be a brief period of inactivity only to be followed by a flury of feeding again. So, to be honest, when you look at the big picture there is only a small window where they will shut-down from feeding. The spring period is typically a good one for crappie anglers!!

I love crappie fishing in the spring. It's a long wait for opener otherwise. Thanks for the great info.

Matt,

Have you noticed an early movement due to the early spring or is it pretty much on schedule? Has this cold snap slowed things up? Med dump has me "virtually" fishing through the sites. crazy

There were definitely a lot of fish up shallow a couple weeks ago when we saw those 80 degree temps... but they moved back out last week once things got cold. We found water as warm as 61 degrees on Lake Minnetonka in March!! That's crazy!! Main lake was in the mid 50's (surface temp) so some incredible numbers. However, since things cooled off we've dropped back into the mid to upper 40's with some back bay areas in the 50's but that's about it. Some of the smaller lakes are warmer. Regardless, the crappies are feeding, just not way up shallow... but more on the first break and weed lines... also the mouth leading into the shallow bays. We've found good action in the 8-15 feet... one report of fish in 25 feet but we haven't ventured out there...

Thanks for all the info Matt. This thread with the maps and info from you and all the others is what I was looking for when I started surfing these sites, not specific spots, but hints on lakes and the adventure of the search.

OK, here's a fun one... it's a main lake spot on Lake Waconia. It really encompasses several different structural elements, most of which are used year-round at some point. Let's tie continue to tie-in spring panfish and let's add some ideas for opening day walleyes as well...

Waconia_fm.jpg

Anyone care to take a swing at it??

A. looks like a panfish area because of warmer shallow water. B.looks like a flat for walleyes. C.theirs a 5 foot sunken island nearby so i'll say maybe feeding walleyes. D. also walleyes hanging on the 25-30ft slope. E. i'm going to guest maybe panfish and walleye and C as well for panfish. i'm a rookie at reading structure so i give it my best shot.

A is definitely a place I'd fish for pan fish and bass. Same with C. I would guess that just off to the right of E would be a decent walleye spot as there is the flat for them to come io and feed on and then the sharp break down to deeper water for them to hold in during the day. One thing I'm never sure about though is how sharp is too sharp of a break? Anyone have any advice on that? Also, is it ever worth fishing over the break itself, or is it better to stay either on top or below it?